Favorite Long Iron - Brand/Design

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What’s your favorite long iron? Whether it be a utility, a GI that plays like a utility, or a hollow body, for those of you who carry one what’s your poison and why?

And just this time, no hybrids allowed :devilish:

• Staff
For me it’s between these two:

B060F907-03E6-4FD4-B48F-88A6BF4CE06C.jpeg
And being honest, I don’t think there’s anything as good in that spot as the F9’s.

I play a G400 crossover. Has been a crutch for the last year and a half. Kinda curious to see just what can happen if/when I go back to a less hideous 4i.

I haven't really spent any time with a variety of irons, but I can say that I greatly prefer my Apex Pro 19 5i to the Mizuno HMB I compared it to the other day.

I play a G400 crossover. Has been a crutch for the last year and a half. Kinda curious to see just what can happen if/when I go back to a less hideous 4i.

I want you to hit my Cobra F9 4i with PX Catalyst in it. Curious as to your thoughts.

For me, it would be the above, I’ve had such great success off the tee with it.

Srixon U85 is pretty good as well

MP H5 3 iron for me. Very versatile. Can shape it both ways, bomb it with a full swing, excellent with a stinger, and escaping those damn trees.

I have the apex UT, and I like that it’s a utility that kinda plays more like a hollow body GI long iron

The U510 has got my eye. I hit one in PGATSS and really liked it.

I’ve had a Titleist driving iron in my bag for 12 years and everything I’ve tried to replace it with wound up not lasting for more than a handful of rounds. I’m hoping that changes with the Epic Forged 4 iron that I have on order.

I’ve had a Titleist drinking iron in my bag for 12 years and everything I’ve tried to replace it with wound up not lasting for more than a handful of rounds. I’m hoping that changes with the Epic Forged 4 iron that I have on order.

I like this a lot!! I should try it! :D Hopefully it's preference is beer.

I like this a lot!! I should try it! :D Hopefully it's preference is beer.
Siri strikes again! She should know that drinking and driving don’t mix.:)

Siri strikes again! She should know that drinking and driving don’t mix.:)

Hahahaha…!!!

Back on topic, back when I really could play, I was using a Hogan Edge GCD Forged 2 iron. Primarily off the tee on short par 4's. I was getting 250-260 with roll, off a short tee and straight as an arrow. My playing partners would be hitting driver and searching for their tee shot in the weeds. I'd be sitting in the fairway with a wedge to the pin. I loved that 2 iron.

I like the Srixon U85’s and the 585 4 iron. The MMC Fli-Hi’s are legit too.

I have been really enjoying the Cobra F9 4i. Easy to hit and high launch, I’m not sure you could ask for more.

I liked the Callaway Apex Utility from several years ago, went to the Z785 in the 3 and 4 iron before finally putting another utility into the bag with the U500's.

What’s your favorite long iron? Whether it be a utility, a GI that plays like a utility, or a hollow body, for those of you who carry one what’s your poison and why?

And just this time, no hybrids allowed :devilish:
I've been pretty passionate about the Srixon zu85 lately. Maybe best sounding UT on the market right now?

Second to that is the Cobra F9 Speedback 4i. Strong lofted, dead nuts straight, and still sounds great. It's like cheating from 240ish.

Srixon U65 and newer U85 are pretty amazing. I played hybrids most of this year and put the U65 back in the bag this fall when it got windy to bring flight down a bit... fell back in love with them.

Z585 4 is money

Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

Without a doubt it’s been my F9– mine is the OL variant but it’s so good that even if I decided to switch back to VL, I will likely keep this in the bag.

4504abd5afaa5a4aeeceb2e0d7ec3752.jpg
e5d240529838c9cff24b6cf5bcc7ea8c.jpg

Easier to hit than hybrids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cobra F6 4-iron is so easy to hit. I kinda miss it.

Srixon ZU85 Utility Iron 20degrees. Used this club off every par 4/5 this past weekend. Driver was doing sh** for me and this club I was hitting dead straight and long....

Really like the hollow body Hogan original PTx 4 iron. That is the one iron from that set that I like better than the PTx Pro. Just hit it better and more consistent for some reason.

I haven't really tried any of the new offerings but have been using an Apex UT the past few weeks and have enjoyed it. I'd like to try one of the new stock hollow body long irons at some point but it's tough to pull the trigger without hitting one, at least not until the prices come down.

Back