First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

This is why I've said the 4i has actually run a little tight with my UT. That Pro 4 iron's got juice. 👊

Oh yeah it does. Even though it's weaker loft than my T200, it's easily 10 yards longer. It's slowly becoming my favorite iron. Almost makes me want to try the 3i. :unsure:

Apex 21s are unbelievably forgiving. Way more forgiving than some may expect.

I was on the range today. First swing with my 7i was dead straight at the 150 marker, carrying it by 10-15 yards. But the strike didn't feel the best. Looked at my club face, and saw on the impact tape that I missed the hosel by a mm or two. Next three swings, same result and EXACT same strike. All of these strikes would have found the green had I pulled 7i:

AF2B2855-0548-4A4C-B935-A3EBFE338D81.jpeg

Shocking results from those strikes. Strengthened my grip a touch, bringing my strikes closer to center. Definitely saw more ball speed and peak height and perhaps a touch longer carry.

2A8FCDDB-4777-4912-B28A-87C26ADE90BA.jpeg

Those better strikes felt absolutely flushed despite not being centered. Easily the best irons I’ve ever played.

Last edited:
I know. I decided I was never going to rationalize the expense, and instead made such good friends (and bought enough and tested enough clubs) with some of the local guys that I don't have to pay for any of that and am allowed to use some their machines. :D
Yeah, I throw my local pro $10 every time he lets me use his.

Gah...how good do these things look?!?!
56D544DC-1129-4432-A2D2-AA1944578D4B.jpeg

I have been holding off posting any results using my new 21’ Apex
Pros with MMT 95 shafts since they arrived just over a week ago. Reason for the delay is I never like to provide feedback so early at the beginning of the season after basically not swinging a club for 6+ months and secondly after coming through another winter of shoulder rehab. I’ve been undergoing a different treatment for the past two weeks and it seems to be making things a lot better but anyway today was my first what I would call breakthrough with the Apex pros.

My previous set was the ‘19 Apex Pro with Recoil 95 F3 (regular) shafts. I moved to the stiff in the MMT shafts as I found the F3 profile was just too soft and caused me to turn the head over too quickly, result ball hard left. I was a little sceptical going back to the stiff but I have found the transition to the MMT in the same weight to be a great move with zero impact on my body and accuracy has improved immensely, at least today 😜.

I think the MMT‘s are just absolutely amazing as far as accuracy and combined with the new Apex pros resulted in an outstanding fourth round with them today.

I know it is really early in the season and one round is not a good indicator but I am not noticing much difference as far as distance compared to my 2019 version of the same iron. The Pros were just dynamite today and looking forward to the next round. I am so happy I went with the MMT’s in stiff, they were on fire today and they look on 🔥 with the Pros.

Just need some dedicated range time to get dialled in and get more comfortable. Callaway hit a home run with this iteration, they not only look great, but they perform as good as they look. More to come.

Hit all but one green (7 out of 8) that I pulled these today. Just absolute fire. The only issue I’m having so far is with the longer 5i. I only pull it occasionally but it hasn’t worked out for me yet. Gotta get on the range and figure it out. Other than that though, just dart throwers. Honestly feel more accurate with these in my hands than I do with wedges the last two rounds. The feel continues to be top notch even with sub 40 temps today. Can’t wait to let these see some actual golf weather some time soon lol

Last edited:
Hit every green but one (7 out of 8) that I pulled these for today. Just absolute fire. The only issue I’m having so far is with the longer 5i. I only pull it rarely but it hasn’t worked out for me yet. Gotta get on the range and figure it out. Other than that though, just dart throwers. Honestly feel more accurate with these in my hands than I do with wedges. The last two rounds. The feel continues to be top notch even with sub 40 temps today. Can’t wait to let these see some actual golf weather some time soon lol

Nice to hear you are continuing to enjoy the pros. (y) I'm still waiting, mostly patiently, but new irons wouldn't matter currently with the snow. The way the weather is looking for this week, I'll be on the sim Tues and Fri and then playing by next weekend.

Just purchased an Apex/Pro combo set. I was fit to Apex, and felt I could add the Pro short irons. Should work a bit better with how I like to play my short irons. I played 2016 Apex/Pro combo set, and really enjoyed my time with those clubs. This set will be replacing my P790s I’ve had for almost 3 years.

Purchased a set with an AW...hopefully that doesn’t hold up the order much.

Nice to hear you are continuing to enjoy the pros. (y) I'm still waiting, mostly patiently, but new irons wouldn't matter currently with the snow. The way the weather is looking for this week, I'll be on the sim Tues and Fri and then playing by next weekend.
I was actually going to contact you yesterday since I was in Bozeman but the 30 mph wind made me figure golf wasn’t an option :LOL: and didn’t want you to make a time to play inside without the new clubs yet lol

Reshafted my Pros back to the $tapers I ordered them with. Wild how much tip weighting I needed to add to get them to D3 sw.

The pitching wedge. Ohhhh, the pitching wedge. I had a couple decent shots with it on 6 and 8, just about seeing the distance I used to. 12 is a par 3 playing 135 today. 135 is my old PW number. I say screw it, I'm going to hammer this one. High. Straight. Falls two feet left of the flag. I mean, I held the finish and waited to hear camera shutters. I'm starting to get it all back. I still believe the regular 21 Apex is the best feeling version since the 2014 Pro.

The 4i may be my new go to for short par 4s, still not getting along with the 3i everytime yet. For as soupy as it was out there today after three days of rain, I played acceptable from tee to green. Greens are still recovering from being punched too early and ignored. Work in progress.

I was actually going to contact you yesterday since I was in Bozeman but the 30 mph wind made me figure golf wasn’t an option :LOL: and didn’t want you to make a time to play inside without the new clubs yet lol

Snowed again last night. :mad:

No idea when I'll see the irons. I keep bugging Woody. He answer his phone with, "no todd, they didn't ship yet." :rolleyes:

Snowed again last night. :mad:

No idea when I'll see the irons. I keep bugging Woody. He answer his phone with, "no todd, they didn't ship yet." :rolleyes:
Did you an AW? Are those still holding up orders?

Did you an AW? Are those still holding up orders?

Yes AW to 4i. Is AW a hold up for people? I would punt on AW in a heartbeat to get a set sooner. I don't even know if I want to play a set AW. Heck, I have a new 50* (bent 1* strong) zipcore on order. I cant check in with Woody until Tuesday. He's off fly fishing.

Yes AW to 4i. Is AW a hold up for people? I would punt on AW in a heartbeat to get a set sooner. I don't even know if I want to play a set AW. Heck, I have a new 50* (bent 1* strong) zipcore on order. I cant check in with Woody until Tuesday. He's off fly fishing.
I’d say check in with him to see. I know the AW was an issue for others earlier

Surprised and disappointed to hit only 4 GIR with how well I hit these irons today. Cold, rainy day probably didn't help. I left 4 a hair short--two landed on the green back spun/rolled back to the fringe/fairway. I also hit a high PW on a short Par 3 that drew right at the flag. Landed about a yard deep and bounced off the back. Green was tiny and I didn't realize how deep the pin was. Overall, though, great ball striking day with beautiful ball flight. Very much in love with the Apex 21s.

Decided to cancel my 5-AW order and place an order for 4-PW because Callaway suggested the order would take 2-3 fewer weeks to arrive. The Callaway website now says "Being customized." I never saw this status for the other set, but rather "Backordered." I'm guessing this means my set should be built soon?

I played 27 holes on a tough par 3 course Saturday and it was warm but quite windy. My swing is getting there and i hit a mix of good and bad shots but one stands out. You have to carry water which is in front and around the left of the green. The bail out is to the right but can leave a tricky chip. The wind was off the right and into. I lined up to the right edge of the green assuming the wind and my slight draw would bring the ball to the center of the green. At impact i hit the ball way out of the toe and immediately said "that's going to be short and right." But the ball stayed in the air and finished on the right edge of the green pin high. It had no right to be on the green with as far out of the toe it was. Something about the 21 Apex standard heads paired with the MMT 95 stiff shafts is just working for me. Add in the CSX-LS ball I had in play and it was a solid combination in the wind.

Anyone know Callaway's current lead times? I placed an order last week and the very nice rep who got me set (shoutout to Allen) said the website ship times were incorrect. My jaws wedges would likely be 1-2 weeks and the Apex Pro's with the stock MMT's 105 would be early May at the latest. Website still says 6-8 weeks for the irons (May 24 would be six weeks from today) but my order status is Mon 06/28 - Fri 07/02.

What are we thinking for times? Obviously the delays continue, but any guess as to which date is most likely?

Anyone know Callaway's current lead times? I placed an order last week and the very nice rep who got me set (shoutout to Allen) said the website ship times were incorrect. My jaws wedges would likely be 1-2 weeks and the Apex Pro's with the stock MMT's 105 would be early May at the latest. Website still says 6-8 weeks for the irons (May 24 would be six weeks from today) but my order status is Mon 06/28 - Fri 07/02.

What are we thinking for times? Obviously the delays continue, but any guess as to which date is most likely?

I would consider calling customer service. When I called about the 5-AW set I had purchased, the agent was able to speak to exactly what was delayed and was able to give some specific dates as to when they were expecting receipt of various components. My sense is that the website, while pretty well integrated with their inventory system, does a fair bit of rounding up for obvious reasons (under-promise, over-deliver).

Sorry to spam this topic, but I figured I'd comment on another hot issue of this topic.

When I called this morning, the agent indicated that Apex Pro AW heads were delayed until [IIRC] May 7th. There might be a batch that would be coming in sooner, but that was the case for very recent orders.

I think I'm looking at another month or 2? Not sure. If I'm dialed with my Pro 19s when they arrive I may just shelf them until winter.

Sorry to spam this topic, but I figured I'd comment on another hot issue of this topic.

When I called this morning, the agent indicated that Apex Pro AW heads were delayed until [IIRC] May 7th. There might be a batch that would be coming in sooner, but that was the case for very recent orders.
Just quoting this for @GoldenBuff. You should definitely reach out to Woody and see if you can modify your order to drop the AW for now

I would consider calling customer service. When I called about the 5-AW set I had purchased, the agent was able to speak to exactly what was delayed and was able to give some specific dates as to when they were expecting receipt of various components. My sense is that the website, while pretty well integrated with their inventory system, does a fair bit of rounding up for obvious reasons (under-promise, over-deliver).

Very interesting! Thanks for the feedback. Going to call after work today. Funny part is I didn't wind up getting the AW. I agree it's probably a website thing. Right now, however, if I try to place an order for my same specs it displays 6-8 weeks. My order details under my account would have it at 10-12 weeks.

Is it possible to have them ship clubs separately? Technically I ordered on the phone because the 4-PW wasn't an option for the Pro's in MMT on the website. I wouldn't mind if say 4 or 5 clubs come. For me, I think it might be shaft and not head related because my wedges are also in the long time frame.

Back