First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

First range sesh was nice woth the Ctapers in the Apex Pros. Also very happy with the flight of the Apex UT 4 with modus 105X.

It's funny because I'm probably going to move mine because they are just not forgiving enough for a 10 cap that needs forgiveness but generally hits irons well. They are kind of unique- I actually think with callaways lineup I'm not exactly sure where their home is. Probably a 6-7 cap that needs a little help but hits it well

:wavey:

That's me and they hit exactly what I need.

Maiden voyage today and quite frankly it could not have gone better. The Pro 21s are freaking amazing - and that's coming from a guy who's played the Pro 19s for 2.5 years. I hit so many good shots and actually had my ball under control.
The build with the Modus 130s, 2* Flat, 1* weak - perfection. I honestly expected to be underwhelmed or maybe a little disappointed, but not at all.

Ctapers def are not the best feeling but they do perform nicely in the ball flight dept. Quick mernin range sesh…no golf again.

2422F9F7-6E1B-400E-85C2-BC996B94656B.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally have a quick minute to post more of my thoughts after round #1 with the Pro 21s. My setup is Pro 21 5-AW, Modus 130 1/2" short, 2* FLat, 1* weak.

Pros:
1) The shape is fabulous. The way the hosel blends into the leading edge is a huge improvement over the 19 Pros IMO. Really easy to set square to target at address.
2) The finish looks really nice. I've always been a chrome guy, but these may convert me to satin.
3) Feel on the short irons is as good as anything I've ever hit. Feel on the long irons is definitely worse, but still a pleasant powerful sound.
4) Enjoying the flight a ton. Don't want to lay it on too thick too soon, but I'll just say "High & straight".
5) I've been impressed with the Pro21s ability to offer the same flight from multiple places on the face.

Cons:
1) Faces appear to wear extremely quickly. Used my PW for one shot, which was well struck, and it has a little rash on the face.
2) I think the gap between the 7i and the 8i is too big in stock configuration. I know with my Pro 19s I needed to shrink the gap to 2* in order to have a 13-15 yard gap and I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the same this time around. Will keep an eye on it.

One other thing I wanted to add was that the P770s seem to be the main competitor to these irons and it seems a lot of the online sources place the 770s as the superior iron. Quite frankly I find that so hard to understand (having owned both). The 770s feel isn't even in the same galaxy, and there's something amiss with the 770s turf interaction IMO. Both offer a similar flight when struck well, but the 770s were way more vulnerable to iffy strikes causing funny flights.

TCBs pulling out a dubya in Sam Burns bag. Nice!

Finally have a quick minute to post more of my thoughts after round #1 with the Pro 21s. My setup is Pro 21 5-AW, Modus 130 1/2" short, 2* FLat, 1* weak.

Pros:
1) The shape is fabulous. The way the hosel blends into the leading edge is a huge improvement over the 19 Pros IMO. Really easy to set square to target at address.
2) The finish looks really nice. I've always been a chrome guy, but these may convert me to satin.
3) Feel on the short irons is as good as anything I've ever hit. Feel on the long irons is definitely worse, but still a pleasant powerful sound.
4) Enjoying the flight a ton. Don't want to lay it on too thick too soon, but I'll just say "High & straight".
5) I've been impressed with the Pro21s ability to offer the same flight from multiple places on the face.

Cons:
1) Faces appear to wear extremely quickly. Used my PW for one shot, which was well struck, and it has a little rash on the face.
2) I think the gap between the 7i and the 8i is too big in stock configuration. I know with my Pro 19s I needed to shrink the gap to 2* in order to have a 13-15 yard gap and I was hoping I wouldn't have to do the same this time around. Will keep an eye on it.

One other thing I wanted to add was that the P770s seem to be the main competitor to these irons and it seems a lot of the online sources place the 770s as the superior iron. Quite frankly I find that so hard to understand (having owned both). The 770s feel isn't even in the same galaxy, and there's something amiss with the 770s turf interaction IMO. Both offer a similar flight when struck well, but the 770s were way more vulnerable to iffy strikes causing funny flights.
I'm glad these are working out better for you man. You were due! Lol

I've noticed the gentle faces too. I've tried to go a little more OCD about cleaning things between strikes this year, but the Apex pro, XFCB, and TCB all seem a little prone to early marks compared to some others. I remain hopeful that over the very long term it'll just blend to usual wear. Forged Tec faces were a little touchy, but wore well in the end. I'm hoping for that, because I let a good amount of people hit my stuff, and it's crazy how one strike, and you can see it with these. They really tell on 'em. :LOL:

Do you think you were flirting with the too low spin line with the 770's? Most people have them just a little lower spinning than these. Were those 1 weak too?

Pros:

Cons:

The finish wearing is the biggest con I have seen so far. They wear very easily. I haven’t hit range balls with them yet and am scared to.

I wasn’t able to work the Pros very effectively in the wind today but that came down to my swing. Let’s just say it was pure garbage for about three quarters of the day.

But I’ve previously mentioned my struggles with the longer 5 and 6 iron. Well I’m finally dialing those in! Two shots today that gave me eagle looks! Both of them were about 215 yards to the pin for my second shot and both shots were nice 5i roped fades right at the pin leaving me with about 15-20 feet each.

Unfortunately, I missed both of the putts (burned an edge on one and over read the break on the other) but that was a huge confidence booster to have those kind of shots with one of the only clubs in the set I’ve been struggling with.

Weird. The expected shipping date for my Triple Play Combo set was last week of May or first week of June. Its updated today to the 1st or 2nd week of July. Weirder still, if I try to order a new set with the same composition on the website it says 1-2 weeks.

Weird. The expected shipping date for my Triple Play Combo set was last week of May or first week of June. Its updated today to the 1st or 2nd week of July. Weirder still, if I try to order a new set with the same composition on the website it says 1-2 weeks.
A component is missing and won't be in until then...would be my guess. Worth a call to see if they can tell you what it is. I know with my pros...while waiting on heads to come in the grips and shaft then became an issue.

Must be some component just became backordered. Call and see what it is. If they are heads that are backordered see if they'll ship out the irons that are ready.

I had another solid round with my Apex 21 irons on Saturday morning. I had several shots low out of the toe and still hit the green or fringe. My confidence continues to grow with this set and my scores are reflecting that. I'm planning on utilizing my skytrak more in my practice as I'm seeing a bit of increased distance with these and have started to miss long.

As I've said previously, I've gotten some of my distance back with these irons. Yesterday I found out I haven't gotten all of it, yet. I'll set the scene:

12th hole. Par 3. Over water the hole way. 147 to the flag. I pull a 9 iron and put an incredible swing on it. The kind you don't even feel the impact, its like you didn't hit anything. The ball climbs high into the air and is going straight at the flag. I'm holding the finish. Posing. Waiting for camera shutters. I'm thinking at worst, I'm going to have a foot for birdie. Then the ball lands on the upslope, about a yard short of the green and comes back even more. I thought I had all of that 147 with a smooth swing, and I didn't even get to the green. Heartbreaking. I chipped from the upslope past the hole, leaving myself about 7 feet for par. Falling a little to the right, downhill and downgrain. Piece of cake. All I have to do is get it there and the ball stopped while casting its shadow into the hole for a stupid bogey.

For probably the 10th time, these new APEX irons feel better than any other APEX since the 2014 Pros.

LOL! That sounds fun.

I got claps today with my Apex 21 7-iron. Tucked right pin, 150 out over water and hit a nice cut up close to the pin...but a tad too far...that left a tricky downhill, bendy putt for birdie, promptly missed. The couple behind us were clapping at the shot. :)

I remembered to take off the lead tape from the CC fitting. See Callaway/Mizuno Fitting thread below. :oops:

As I've said previously, I've gotten some of my distance back with these irons. Yesterday I found out I haven't gotten all of it, yet. I'll set the scene:

12th hole. Par 3. Over water the hole way. 147 to the flag. I pull a 9 iron and put an incredible swing on it. The kind you don't even feel the impact, its like you didn't hit anything. The ball climbs high into the air and is going straight at the flag. I'm holding the finish. Posing. Waiting for camera shutters. I'm thinking at worst, I'm going to have a foot for birdie. Then the ball lands on the upslope, about a yard short of the green and comes back even more. I thought I had all of that 147 with a smooth swing, and I didn't even get to the green. Heartbreaking. I chipped from the upslope past the hole, leaving myself about 7 feet for par. Falling a little to the right, downhill and downgrain. Piece of cake. All I have to do is get it there and the ball stopped while casting its shadow into the hole for a stupid bogey.

For probably the 10th time, these new APEX irons feel better than any other APEX since the 2014 Pros.
That's called golf...LOL.

Anyone know the hosel size on these? @OldandStiff I'm sure you've reshafted a set or two. My guage says .370+ above the hosel. Want to make sure before I buy the wrong thing.

Anyone know the hosel size on these? @OldandStiff I'm sure you've reshafted a set or two. My guage says .370+ above the hosel. Want to make sure before I buy the wrong thing.
Which heads are you talking about? I'm going off of my memory which is a dangerous thing but I believe the 21 Apex Pros, Apex MB, and X-forged CB irons are .355 taper tip. The 21 Apex and Apex DCB are .370 parallel. If you order one of the combos they use different tooling so that the 21 Apex Pro irons in the combo sets are .370 parallel to match the standard 21 Apex and 21 Apex DCB heads. Can @xThor @Muchmore18 @Tevenor or @Jman confirm the above is correct?

Which heads are you talking about? I'm going off of my memory which is a dangerous thing but I believe the 21 Apex Pros, Apex MB, and X-forged CB irons are .355 taper tip. The 21 Apex and Apex DCB are .370 parallel. If you order one of the combos they use different tooling so that the 21 Apex Pro irons in the combo sets are .370 taper to match the standard 21 Apex and 21 Apex DCB heads. Can @xThor @Muchmore18 @Tevenor or @Jman confirm the above is correct?

Phew, glad I asked. I have the mixed combo set. Asking because .355 shafts are scarce but .370s not so much.

Phew, glad I asked. I have the mixed combo set. Asking because .355 shafts are scarce but .370s not so much.
I'll wait for one of the others to confirm but i believe in the combo sets they use special tooling specifically so you can have the same shaft in all the irons and I'm 99% sure it's .370 parallel.

I'll wait for one of the others to confirm but i believe in the combo sets they use special tooling specifically so you can have the same shaft in all the irons and I'm 99% sure it's .370 parallel.
You are correct! That is specifically for combo sets that include the Pros and the standard/dcb Apex’s. A combo set of the pros and MB’s are still .355

Last edited:
Back