First Look: Cleveland RTX ZipCore Wedges

I wanted to follow up on my comment from this past weekend about this guy being deadly from 100-105 yards.

With my RTX-4 I really struggled to get consistent distances out of it from that 100 yard range. I don’t know why, I just struggled.

In the couple of weeks of having this new club (54*) I’m getting around 100-105 every time. Both shots I had from this distance on Sunday, I flagged them.

This is huge for me and I hope it continues.
I'm seeing the same in comparison with my RTX-3. The Zipcore just goes straight, where the RTX-3 I'd get a lot of drift left to right. Also, the distance on full swings is in a pretty tight dispersion. Never was a fan of full swing wedge shots, but now I'm excited by the prospect of them!!

UltiZip grooves are narrower, deeper, with sharper corner radius. This allows Cleveland to fit 19 total on the face instead of 17. Pictures to illustrate:

RTX Zipcore w/ UltiZip
View attachment 8955435

RTX4
View attachment 8955436

They can't always be clean ;). I'll update my prior comment comparing UltiZip to having ceramic rotors on your daily driver, a more apt analogy might be rain or snow tires with deeper tread and more siping to deal with adverse conditions. Either way, they have plenty of stop from the rough.

I don't know why but the grooves look "bolder" and more pronounced on the RTX than on the Zip Core but I do like the sole better on the Zip Core my only concern would be how the wedge opens up with a more pronounced crescent shaped sole on the Zip Core.

Good omen?

1BBF85FB-6B15-482B-ADC0-D09B3D3DE905.jpeg

I just finished up some backyard work with these. Hit about 100 shots total, both partial and full. I ended with 10 full swing shots. Before the Zipcore I wouldnt even attempt these. 7 of the 10, ones I hit well, fit into a box 5 yards wide, by 7 yards long. For me, that is crazy tight dispersion on an 85 yard shot.

2 of the misses were out on the toe, which I could feel. Lost some height and were about 10 yards short of the others, but still within that right to left box. The other was a bit low on the face and didnt get up. About 15 yards longer than the others due to some roll on the hard ground.

In the end, I just cant believe the tight dispersion on with the Zipcore. You have to try hard to pull or push one, IMO. Just wants to go straight, and for a golfer like me, that is exactly what I want out of any club in my bag.

I don't know why but the grooves look "bolder" and more pronounced on the RTX than on the Zip Core but I do like the sole better on the Zip Core my only concern would be how the wedge opens up with a more pronounced crescent shaped sole on the Zip Core.

Part of that is probably the black finish, and the other is that the older grooves are actually wider to they look chunkier to the eye. The UltiZip are finer pitched.

Speaking to the ability to open it up, I can confidently report no issues here for me. I've been going out of my way to use this instead of the 58* and have been played a ton of open face shots. Not a problem off tight lies, and have hit some crazy high lobs.

More quality time with RTX ZipCore today, just putting in work :). Anyone want to talk wedges? Sweet, let's go.

I finally got some time at the practice green with the 54 Mid, and had the prior RTX4 54 Mid along for some back-to-back chipping work. I also played 18 holes (X 2 balls) plus another dropped ball randomly inside 110 yards on every hole to put ZipCore in a bunch of different situations. Three rounds worth of greenside work.

On Course
Still seeing some extra carry beyond what I am used to seeing in the 54 spot. I want to get on a launch monitor to see whats happening. I now have confidence in 110yds as a full shot where I used to play to 105, and three times today I tested this and stretched it out to 115 just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. On partial shots 50-80yds I am mentally thinking of a number 5-10 yards less when hitting a shot or else I seem to be blowing by pins. Turf interaction from the FW is good, I am leaving divots in the bruised turf to shallow divot range. Also good turf interaction from the rough. Pretty comfy on the approach at this point, still working on adjusting distances a bit.

13th Par 3 - Playing 2nd ball @ 105yds from the Ladies Tees. This is all a part of the certified GraniteRoost review process :cool:. Pretty Sweet Outcome.
IMG_6988.jpg
IMG_6990.jpg

14th Par 4 - Twinning with the Hogan UiHi... (1st) twin tee shots (SMOKED!!), (2nd) twin ZipCore approaches from ~105 downwind, (3rd) twin missed birdie putts. 🤡
IMG_6995.jpgIMG_6996.jpgIMG_7005.jpg

15th Par 5 - Played two approaches from 115 and 105 yards respectively. First shot right of pin, second shot right at it. This shot is extremely tricky because the green is small and ridges divide it into three areas, Right, Back Left, and Front Left. Pin is Right today.
IMG_7013.jpgIMG_7014.jpg

18th Par 4 - Testing full shot carry - 118 right at it.
IMG_7044.jpgIMG_7045.jpg
Around the green my chipping is getting pretty dialed in. Had several nice up and downs and my control over trajectory and how the bounce is playing is getting better. I hit some very challenging shots from rough to certain landing points on slopes, ridges, on slippery greens, and confidence is there.

Practice Green
I have been looking forward to having a spare half hour to being a proper short game session. I played around with several different shots, and my favorite of the day was a 40 footer off the apron to a landing area just short of a ridge, to a hole cut on a very slippery downslope just over the ridge. The kind of shot you need to keep low and driving forward, and then land, hop once and check almost to a stop on the ridge so it can trickle down to the hole. I had great control with the ZipCore today stopping the ball where desired on the downslope.
IMG_7047.jpg

Representative grouping - ZipCore: Chips were hit from where the wedge is lying on the chipping apron over by the practice tee in the left background. Great rollout control going over a slippery ridge.
IMG_7050.jpg

Representative grouping - RTX4: Also good very good control. In fairness, I left one or two short was not the club.
IMG_7049.jpg

I have not really found a shot I can't hit with the ZipCore, and well. Crazy high lobs, low checkers, having fun. I was only in the sand once today, short sided in a bunker left of the green with a ridge running away from me to the hole. Landed it on the ridge, checked on the slope well, and left a 7 footer.

At the end of my practice session after the round, we had a 30 second rain shower and a pretty dramatic rainbow.
IMG_7056.jpg

Last edited:
@GraniteRoost nice info and write up. Great looking course too.

Flighting these is fun. I went after a back pin last round with a low missile that just stopped. It was awesome. Don’t ask about the putt.

More quality time with RTX ZipCore today, just putting in work :). Anyone want to talk wedges? Sweet, let's go.

I finally got some time at the practice green with the 54 Mid, and had the prior RTX4 54 Mid along for some back-to-back chipping work. I also played 18 holes (X 2 balls) plus another dropped ball randomly inside 110 yards on every hole to put ZipCore in a bunch of different situations. Three rounds worth of greenside work.

On Course
Still seeing some extra carry beyond what I am used to seeing in the 54 spot. I want to get on a launch monitor to see whats happening. I now have confidence in 110yds as a full shot where I used to play to 105, and three times today I tested this and stretched it out to 115 just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. On partial shots 50-80yds I am mentally thinking of a number 5-10 yards less when hitting a shot or else I seem to be blowing by pins. Turf interaction from the FW is good, I am leaving divots in the bruised turf to shallow divot range. Also good turf interaction from the rough. Pretty comfy on the approach at this point, still working on adjusting distances a bit.

13th Par 3 - Playing 2nd ball @ 105yds from the Ladies Tees. This is all a part of the certified GraniteRoost review process :cool:. Pretty Sweet Outcome.
View attachment 8955537
View attachment 8955538

14th Par 4 - Twinning with the Hogan UiHi... (1st) twin tee shots (SMOKED!!), (2nd) twin ZipCore approaches from ~105 downwind, (3rd) twin missed birdie putts. 🤡
View attachment 8955539View attachment 8955540View attachment 8955541

15th Par 5 - Played two approaches from 115 and 105 yards respectively. First shot right of pin, second shot right at it. This shot is extremely tricky because the green is small and ridges divide it into three areas, Right, Back Left, and Front Left. Pin is Right today.
View attachment 8955542View attachment 8955543

18th Par 4 - Testing full shot carry - 118 right at it.
View attachment 8955544View attachment 8955545
Around the green my chipping is getting pretty dialed in. Had several nice up and downs and my control over trajectory and how the bounce is playing is getting better. I hit some very challenging shots from rough to certain landing points on slopes, ridges, on slippery greens, and confidence is there.

Practice Green
I have been looking forward to having a spare half hour to being a proper short game session. I played around with several different shots, and my favorite of the day was a 40 footer off the apron to a landing area just short of a ridge, to a hole cut on a very slippery downslope just over the ridge. The kind of shot you need to keep low and driving forward, and then land, hop once and check almost to a stop on the ridge so it can trickle down to the hole. I had great control with the ZipCore today stopping the ball where desired on the downslope.
View attachment 8955549

Representative grouping - ZipCore: Chips were hit from where the wedge is lying on the chipping apron over by the practice tee in the left background. Great rollout control going over a slippery ridge.
View attachment 8955547

Representative grouping - RTX4: Also good very good control. In fairness, I left one or two short was not the club.
View attachment 8955546

I have not really found a shot I can't hit with the ZipCore, and well. Crazy high lobs, low checkers, having fun. I was only in the sand once today, short sided in a bunker left of the green with a ridge running away from me to the hole. Landed it on the ridge, checked on the slope well, and left a 7 footer.

At the end of my practice session after the round, we had a 30 second rain shower and a pretty dramatic rainbow.
View attachment 8955536
Funny you were seeing a few extra yards - I did too. I guessed it was a fluke or the slightly lower spin but maybe it isn’t.

Funny you were seeing a few extra yards - I did too. I guessed it was a fluke or the slightly lower spin but maybe it isn’t.

The only thing I forgot to do today, was hit approaches on course with RTX4 for comparison. Next time. Otherwise, I've had many rounds over a couple weeks now to think about trends, and the trend is definitely there for me. I might be swinging faster because it's summer and hot.. but my gut tells me launch parameters are helping too.

The only thing I forgot to do today, was hit approaches on course with RTX4 for comparison. Next time. Otherwise, I've had many rounds over a couple weeks now to think about trends, and the trend is definitely there for me. I might be swinging faster because it's summer and hot.. but my gut tells me launch parameters are helping too.
I was seeing higher launch, slightly lower spin on full shots so I’m curious what others see.

I promise I am not as dry as this. 😆

Here is my video review of the ZipCore wedge:

I saw this today and wanted to pass it along.

FREE personalization with a purchase of ZipCore wedges. Talk about cool idea.

Was just coming in this thread to share the same thing. Crazy more companies don’t do this. I love the idea of getting free personalization with a new wedge! So cool!

Anyone else feel like the turf interaction is just worlds better on these wedges than previous models?

Anyone else feel like the turf interaction is just worlds better on these wedges than previous models?

Yes. It definitely feels like a fantastic combination of not too straight or not too rounded of a leading edge.

Absolutely agree on the turf interaction. Very smooth. Better than any previous wedge I have used.

Better than my RTX-3. Love it from the fairway, or the rough. Such confidence in the club to do its thing, and save me time and time again!

Following up on my review of the 60 degree low bounce offering. I’ve got a bit of both ends of the spectrum on this club. Let’s do my bad first. It’s really the low bounce for my conditions or grass type that is my negative here. I don’t find it good in say crab grass. We also call it Kara aka grass. It grabs everything that enters and ripping a thin line is the best to hope for. I continue to come up way short all the time. I have a mid bounce RTX4 that works much better, so really it’s just a bounce issue. Ok, so on to the stellar. Yes I said stellar, as in beyond good. In situations where I have a short sided situation and opening the club is needed the ZipCore is spot on. I have not tried this in the kaa kaa grass, this club shines and shines bright. This is where it becomes predictable for me, and really, it saves me strokes. Open the stance and the club face, money. Sand that’s not deep? Money! Dirt off the fairway? Money. Nice short fairway grass? I’m short. I’m really torn and almost feel like if I have room I’d carry the low and high bounce offering. I’ve always gone mid in the past but I see where the low can shine.

I haven’t tried all the previous models but it is better then what I’ve used, yeah.

Back