First swing at the range?

Smooth, relatively-full PW. Normally blade the first few as I get loose.

What’s a range?

When I do, which is usually just at THP Experiences or tournaments, I start with little knockdown 8’s

usually a 3/4 swing after some stretches....somewhere around a 9iron or PW, then a couple of oh S#*&'s or oh craps....stifness worked out, not full swings until a few things pop or crackle

I start with my 58* and hit some 30, 40, 50, 60 yard shots up to full swings with the 58*. Next I usually move to an 8i for my first full swings.

Range warmup is the same as my warmup before a round. 5xPW, 5x8I, 5x6I, 5x3W or 4H, 5xD. Then I work on whatever my goal is.

Some partial wedge

I start with 10 half swings with a 56 wedge. I don’t care too much about results with these. Then 10 three quarter swings with 52. Then 10 full swings with gap wedge. Hit 5 balls with short irons then 5 drivers and lastly a couple 3 woods off the deck. I hope to get to the first teeming within 15 minutes before I lose my feel and looseness.

Never the same, depends on what I'm there to work on. Sometimes it's driver, fw & hybrids, sometimes it's 6i down to 9i, sometimes it's wedges.

baby 1/4 gap wedge shots until I'm sure I am loose.

1/2-3/4 7i is usually where I am starting.

What’s a range?

When I do, which is usually just at THP Experiences or tournaments, I start with little knockdown 8’s

Love this. A buddy of mine plays 6 days a week, never hits the range. I asked him why once, he said he doesn't have time he plays too much. I always loved that answer.

I hit balls frequently in small batches. I've picked up the habit of chipping to get started with a SW or lofted club. The reason I continue with this is it tends to teach me to rotate, keep hands still and most importantly let momentum start back at the ball (aka - the pause). I find all of these characteristics are what I need to improve in my full swing.

after maybe 10 chips, I go to short pitches and work my way up to full swings with the SW. Typically this is 15-25 balls in total. now I pick up a 8,7, or 6 iron and hit ~5 swinsgs, then maybe 5 drivers, then I rotate D, 7i, SW.

Flighted sand iron. Easiest shot for me to hit anyhow, and a great warmup with the slightly open stance and not going after it hard with the turn or hands....

I generally hit a few 7 irons to dial in.

I'm taking my driver, 6 iron, and 9 iron and just hit those to get in a groove. In that order too, lol.

Hit 5 or so shots with 54° and attempt various trajectory and distance under 100.

Until this year I always started with the big dog and as I've gotten older I've gotten a tiny bit smarter. Easy wedge or short iron shots to get some feel and let my back loosen up. :LOL:

Usually some 3/4 swings with my 54* or 58*.

7i > 4H > Driver...then a hodgepodge of whatever

I'll usually grab the 58-degree and hit a chip shot about 15-20'. Wherever the ball ends up, I'll try to land my next shot on top of that ball. I'll then repeat that process as the shots get longer and longer; it only takes a little bit to start hitting full wedge shots. That just gives me a nice feeling of reacquainting myself with my clubs, the feeling of making good contact, exercising distance control, and just feeling things. Then I'll spend about 50% of my time hitting wedges, 40% of my time hitting iron shots, and 5% of my time hitting fairway woods and driver. The final 5% I'll spend practicing high and low fades and draws, and high and low slices and hooks.

What’s a range...? My senior group does well to hit a few putts before we saddle up and head out.

Back