First swing at the range?

Bosco...

JB Cobb III told me to do it.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12’ish
Where do you normally start? I’m at a choked down, 3/4 swing, PW these days. And for a goodly portion of the bucket it seems.

How’s about you?

Same here...3/4 punch shots with PW or AW working on ball contact and seeing where the bottom of the swing is that day.

Just some easy AW shots to get a feel going.

At the range I use currently, they don't allow you to take your full bag as you go through the pro shop to get there, but as a visitor just to use the range, I only tend to take 4-5 clubs with me anyway and will mix it up a bit each time

I usually take driver, a couple irons and a wedge or 2, so my first swing is with either the wedge or short iron I have with me

Half swings with the 54° for about the first 5 then 3/4 swings, then full.

Most of my "range time" is typically prior to a tournament and consists of hitting around 15 balls. I always hit a couple driver shots first to see how I am hitting my most important club.

I usually grab my 7i and start there. Nice middle of the bag club length then I alternate between longer and shorter clubs before finishing with driver.

Short partial/touch shots with each of the wedges. Then full swing from PW up the bag and Driver is last. Will go back through the irons, some touch shots, then finish last 3 balls with driver.

usually just some easy swings with my 52*

I start with my 7i, various other irons, hybrids, then driver. I finish off with my 50, hitting chips as my back is usually sore by this time.

Right now, I'm swinging a driver at the 1st ball. I'm trying out a "hangover" swing. No thinking about position(s) just feels. Reason being, I want to see if I can just step up to the 1st tee & hammer one.

For me, tends to just be a little half swing with a 9i or PW, something just to loosen the back off and warm up.

just some 50yard lob wedge shots to start it off. gets my swing timing going.

Light swings with the 60 or 56 to loosen up

If its before a round I do what most do. Start off with the shorter clubs and work my way up. If its just a range session the first club I hit is the driver. Only once.

Sometimes I get to the course and before I can warm up my playing partners tell me "Hey, we're up next". Then with no warmups the first driver shot ends up a worm burner. After that its ok.

So I practice like its that situation. One shot with the driver to start. It took some time to not hit a runner on the first hit. And I only had one shot at it whenever I had a range session because the second one was always ok. I finally got to where I can hit the first one up in the air now. I do that just in case I don't have time to warm up before a round.

My PW at slow speeds for contact and loosening up the muscles. No full swings for the first 5-10 balls.

It varies, sometimes with a slow wedge and sometimes with a low iron. If I’m at the range during lunch I usually grab my 8 or 7 iron just because I’m rushing a little bit. When I have time to really warm up I’ll hit wedge first.

Pre round warms up at my home course usually go pretty similar to what I did yesterday. Took out usual 5 clubs (SW-9i-6i-5F-D) and free 20 ball warm up bag. I was able to get through my warmup and leave and a handful of range balls behind. Normally do.
First two swings SW; decent contact and trajectory so moved on to 9i. Both 9i swings also resulted in reasonable trajectory, and carry so moved on to 6i. Flushed that first 6i so on to the 5F. Caught the first two 5Fs a little low/heel so needed two more to be satisfied. Hit two decent drivers and then a partial SW that landed close enough to the 70 yard basket I was going for. Then one more driver to emulate the sweeping draw I'd need to have any chance to get near the P5 18th in two (we shot gunned yesterday).

Last edited:
20 yard wedge and hope I make contact.

I usually tee up my 9 iron and hit into a practice green. It's ~130 yards to the center and usually just keep hitting into that distance. I like practicing the start of the hole mostly when I go to the range, I found for me personally it helps me the most. I never ever start off hitting off the turf.

No more than a 3/4 PW or GW shot, usually more like 1/2 shot just to warm up and get the blood flowing. My first 10 shots are like that before I start opening things up. I find more and more that most of my practice time is with a wedge or a 7i. Then I'll bounce around the bucket after hitting a few driver shots.

54* about 25 yards. It takes me 10-15 balls to work up to a full swing.

I will hit 50 yard pitches with my 60 for 10 minutes. Get the juices flowing before letting a full swing rip.

Back