First Time Travel Bag Buyer - Help Needed

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I need to buy a Travel Bag for the Grandaddy (assuming we are taking our own clubs).
I have never owned a travel bag, and have never travelled with my clubs (outside of a couple hour drive).
There are tons of options out there, and I need some help. Big names, smaller names, Amazon options..... so many out there.

What features do you believe are essential, which are handy to have, and which are unnecessary?
Wheeled I assume is essential, external shoe compartments perhaps unnecessary......

For you experienced golf travelers, what bag do you have, what do you like most about it, what do you hate about it?

Help this overwhelmed first time traveller out 😵, any advice is greatly appreciated!

So I bought the OGIO Alpha Mid recently when they had what was probably a glitchy coupon go live. It’s really, really nice.

I like a distinct pattern so it’s easy to spot. But primarily I want my clubs protected. The Alpha Mid is super cushioned at the top, definitely gives me confidence my clubs are safe. I like a bag that gives me some room to pack clothes, shoes, etc. And yeah, a solid wheelbase is a must. That’s crucial.

Bag needs good padding at the very least. Having seen how baggage handlers treat golf bags, hard case is always the safest bet, but they are soon to store. I’m not a regular traveler, so I bought one of these from Amazon. Got me to Mexico and back without issue, and it’ll be coming with me to Hawaii later in the year. If I was a regular traveler, I’d go for something a little pricier and longer lasting, but as an infrequent golf traveler, I’ve been happy with this. I would also say a strong arm protector is a must if you are going with a soft bag.
OutdoorMaster Padded Golf Club...

So I bought the OGIO Alpha Mid recently when they had what was probably a glitchy coupon go live. It’s really, really nice.

I like a distinct pattern so it’s easy to spot. But primarily I want my clubs protected. The Alpha Mid is super cushioned at the top, definitely gives me confidence my clubs are safe. I like a bag that gives me some room to pack clothes, shoes, etc. And yeah, a solid wheelbase is a must. That’s crucial.
That was a really good purchase with that coupon. 👍🏼

CaddyDaddy First Class is the best bang for the buck on the market and its not close.
There are countless THPer reviews.

Ogio is a good choice taking it to Grandaddy. Other good choice is Caddy Daddy

I have an all-black version of this one:

I like the cap compartment and the 6 wheels on the bottom.

If I was in the markert right now, this one from Caddy Daddy would be hard to say no to:

Last edited:
I think you have to take into account how much airline travel with your golf clubs that you are going to do. I used to travel a lot for work and was able to bring my clubs to most of my destinations. I wanted a durable, protective and easy to maneuver bag. Sun Mountain Club Glider met all of my requirements.

I think you have to take into account how much airline travel with your golf clubs that you are going to do. I used to travel a lot for work and was able to bring my clubs to most of my destinations. I wanted a durable, protective and easy to maneuver bag. Sun Mountain Club Glider met all of my requirements.

I’d agree with this. I don’t fly with my clubs a whole ton so the OGIO is perfect. I’d still feel comfortable with it’s durability though. It’s a solid bag.

I’d agree with this. I don’t fly with my clubs a whole ton so the OGIO is perfect. I’d still feel comfortable with it’s durability though. It’s a solid bag.
One thing to note about the Club Glider above. It is heavy. They list at 11 and a half pounds, mine weighs nearly 12.5.
The First Class is 10, so if you are close to the weight, that is something to consider (it also has better padding and costs a lot less).
I was a huge proponent in the Club Glider, but went through 3 in just a few years and never again.

CaddyDaddy First Class is the best bang for the buck on the market and its not close.
100%. CaddyDaddy travel bags are 1st class. I want to upgrade to the First Class but my constrictor 2 from them has held up so well and still looks practically new.

I've never traveled by airline with my clubs before believe it or not. But... I've bought the CaddyDaddy First Class with North pole because of previous threads on the forum around this topic.

I've never traveled by airline with my clubs before believe it or not. But... I've bought the CaddyDaddy First Class with North pole because of previous threads on the forum around this topic.
I haven't either but I think I am buying the :CaddyDaddy: First Class as well. Reviews are fantastic and I love that the owner is on here to answer any questions. See you in San Antonio.

I went hard sided - SKB. It's a bit heavy and can be a little unwieldy, but I know my stuff is safe.

Bag boy T 10 has treated me well, kind of a hybrid bag, top is hard cover and bottom is soft

I needed a fresh Claw glove, so as long as they were shipping to my house I ordered the Caddy Daddy First Class along with the North Pole. :cool:

The experiences and suggestions available here are invaluable - thanks all!

I was going to say just go to CaddyDaddy and get one of their offerings. They are the best value in the travel bag market. I got a Constrictor as a tee gift at a charity event and it is a great bag particularly for the money. I haven’t seen the First Class but as good as the Constrictor is it must be great.

So I need to buy a Travel Bag for the Grandaddy (assuming we are taking our own clubs).
I have never owned a travel bag, and have never travelled with my clubs (outside of a couple hour drive).
There are tons of options out there, and I need some help. Big names, smaller names, Amazon options..... so many out there.

What features do you believe are essential, which are handy to have, and which are unnecessary?
Wheeled I assume is essential, external shoe compartments perhaps unnecessary......

For you experienced golf travelers, what bag do you have, what do you like most about it, what do you hate about it?

Help this overwhelmed first time traveller out 😵, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Can’t go wrong with Caddy Daddy First Class

I love mine because

- has a protector pole that comes with it
- padded top that protects clubs
- ballistic nylon that will be functional a long time
- high quality zippers

things I wish it had
- extra internal zipper for my air tag
- wish personalization options came back!

Can't go wrong with a CaddyDaddy bag. Find the thread on them and there is even a THP discount.

My new CaddyDaddy First Class is looking very nice. Great adjustability, tons of padding, and the material appears to be plenty tough.

Can't wait to try it out in September, now I just have to work on getting under that 50lb luggage mark.

PXL_20230602_163432316~2.jpgPXL_20230602_163548360~2.jpg

i am playing Firestone next week. Super excited. I am going in the attic to find an old Ogio travel bag I've had for years. If its in rough shape I will immediately get the Caddy Daddy.

This

They are the best and this is my snazzy version from my Morgan Cup teammates.
20211005_202140_Original.jpeg

Also, there is a tutorial on here on how to pack a travel bag if needed. Quite informational. And hysterical.

Back