Fit ball to clubs or clubs to ball?

OITW

Reaction score
What came first the chicken or the egg?

More like fit ball to swing (y)

Club first followed by the ball.

In my opinion it can be either.
If you have a ball you are in love with, and change clubs, that needs to be used.

As we have shown a couple of times now with data, changing a golf ball will have an impact on performance. In our most recent videos we have shown just using an 7 or 8 iron, the differences can be over 1000 rpms of spin, which will not only have an effect on approach shots and how they land, but also the carry distance.

Clubs are not all the same, just like the golf ball. Different spin, launch and even speed characteristics. Using a blanket of "I use this ball and like this club" is fine, but I can say with certainty, performance is being left on the table in lieu of a logo.

expand on that
Everyone's swing is different. Swing speed will have different impacts on the ball .. i.e. more clubhead speed, compression of the ball different = more ball speed = more distance & so on.

If you have a ball you are in love with, and change clubs, that needs to be used.

As we have shown a couple of times now with data, changing a golf ball will have an impact on performance. In our most recent videos we have shown just using an 7 or 8 iron, the differences can be over 1000 rpms of spin, which will not only have an effect on approach shots and how they land, but also the carry distance.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (y)

I have basically settled on a ball for life. I would hit that ball in fittings for clubs. So I guess ball first?

I’ve always been a fit ball to swing, but after @JB explanation that may change.

I’ve always been a fit ball to swing, but after @JB explanation that may change.

Previous to The Ultimate Weekend in 2018 I was fit clubs to ball.

Then I started fitting balls to clubs.

Now I’m just a hot mess 😂

Yeah after JBs post, which made sense I kinda checkef out 😂

There is a lot of fitting in there...question is how many yards / rpms are we talking about? I am sure it’s explained / discussed in the videos. I’ll give them a watch.

Was in ball first camp

Not looking for a bit more spin due to forged tec irons.

There is a lot of fitting in there...question is how many yards / rpms are we talking about? I am sure it’s explained / discussed in the videos. I’ll give them a watch.

That’s a good question and definitely worth the watch

Clubs are not all the same, just like the golf ball. Different spin, launch and even speed characteristics. Using a blanket of "I use this ball and like this club" is fine, but I can say with certainty, performance is being left on the table in lieu of a logo.
Well I was coming in to say either way as long your flight characteristics are met. Well said @JB. I need to do better in this area myself with balls. I played one all of 2020, but trying to whittle my other ones down over the winter.

That’s a good question and definitely worth the watch
I mean I want to play the ball that’s best for me, but I’m also afraid what happens if the dozens of balls I have sitting here aren’t right for me. 😂

And it is just my thoughts on the subject.

For example. As a THPer, you pick a driver head based on performance. You want to get your launch right, your spin right, etc etc. You go as far as exotic shafts to try to dial in every ounce of performance in the golf club. Yet then just pick a ball? There are far too many false narratives out there about compression, etc. Yet it is easy for ANY golfer to grab a driver, iron, etc and find out what is happening at any golf store or fitting center. It's why we showed it in multiple videos. Over 1000 rpm of spin change, with no swings removed over the course of multiple golf shots.

It is so vastly under thought or worse, misinformation existing.

The flip side is also true. You love a lower spinning or higher spinning ball? Great. When you change clubs, this will impact it and you will want to fit the clubs to it.

I mean I want to play the ball that’s best for me, but I’m also afraid what happens if the dozens of balls I have sitting here aren’t right for me. 😂

This is a good one.

And it is just my thoughts on the subject.

For example. As a THPer, you pick a driver head based on performance. You want to get your launch right, your spin right, etc etc. You go as far as exotic shafts to try to dial in every ounce of performance in the golf club. Yet then just pick a ball? There are far too many false narratives out there about compression, etc. Yet it is easy for ANY golfer to grab a driver, iron, etc and find out what is happening at any golf store or fitting center. It's why we showed it in multiple videos. Over 1000 rpm of spin change, with no swings removed over the course of multiple golf shots.

It is so vastly under thought or worse, misinformation existing.

The flip side is also true. You love a lower spinning or higher spinning ball? Great. When you change clubs, this will impact it and you will want to fit the clubs to it.

and a ball that’s better for driver might not be thr best performer greenside etc.

lot goes into, it’s tough, also why I’ve changed gamers twice this year and 3x last year

I always choose a ball that best fits my needs given the clubs that are in the bag at the moment.

I’m really not sure. Recently I went to a reg box of z stars I had laying around and I felt like I picked up some distance. Based on swing speed, everything tells me to play the XV. I’d love to see numbers tbh.

I would think you would change the ball to meet the clubs performance. It’s a lot more economical to change golf balls than golf clubs! That being said...what clubs do you base performance on...putter? wedges? irons? woods?

Back