fitted irons(mine) vs non-fitted(buddies)

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get fit?

Interesting, would be an interesting experiment.
I like fittings and think they are way overrated at the same time.
Just my opinion, and I could be wrong - for the majority of golfers, I think the most important factors in fitting are (in rough order):

1) Appropriate club head (e.g., player's iron vs GI vs SGI)
2) The right club length
3) Appropriate shaft for your swing (stiffness/weight)
4) Lie angle

More in-depth fitting than that is probably going to matter a lot more to highly skilled/low-handicap players with repeatable swings who consistently make contact with the center of the clubface, and have a more refined feel for the subtleties of club performance. At that level I think you've reached the point of diminishing returns, and things like swingweight, shaft kickpoints, tweaking lofts for exact gaps, spin rates, etc. are going to make a lot more difference to their game than they'll make to the mid/high 'cappers still working on making consistent contact, getting the ball in the air and keeping it in play. For them, it seems to me that the above 4 factors will get them into a suitable set of clubs that aren't going to hinder their development/improvement.

The single-digit/scratch/plus handicapper might be focusing on a slightly higher ball flight/steeper descent angle with more spin to stop his approach shots closer to the pin; the mid/high handicapper might be focused on being able to get his approach shots to just hit the green, or somewhere close to it. For the former, a degree of loft, a couple hundred RPMs of spin rate or a different shaft kickpoint might make a significant difference; for the latter, it's going to be all but inconsequential.

Just my opinion, and I could be wrong - for the majority of golfers, I think the most important factors in fitting are (in rough order):

1) Appropriate club head (e.g., player's iron vs GI vs SGI)
2) The right club length
3) Appropriate shaft for your swing (stiffness/weight)
4) Lie angle

More in-depth fitting than that is probably going to matter a lot more to highly skilled/low-handicap players with repeatable swings who consistently make contact with the center of the clubface, and have a more refined feel for the subtleties of club performance. At that level I think you've reached the point of diminishing returns, and things like swingweight, shaft kickpoints, tweaking lofts for exact gaps, spin rates, etc. are going to make a lot more difference to their game than they'll make to the mid/high 'cappers still working on making consistent contact, getting the ball in the air and keeping it in play. For them, it seems to me that the above 4 factors will get them into a suitable set of clubs that aren't going to hinder their development/improvement.

The single-digit/scratch/plus handicapper might be focusing on a slightly higher ball flight/steeper descent angle with more spin to stop his approach shots closer to the pin; the mid/high handicapper might be focused on being able to get his approach shots to just hit the green, or somewhere close to it. For the former, a degree of loft, a couple hundred RPMs of spin rate or a different shaft kickpoint might make a significant difference; for the latter, it's going to be all but inconsequential.

so I was fit at 2nd swing not sure if I mentioned that. But once the rain became a mist I got out for 10 holes hitting 2-4 balls each hole different lies and distance. Also only hit irons off the tee and I played the par 4s between 312 yds shortest 385yds longest. Didn’t adjust tees for par 3s or 5s. Disclaimer I played my first ball was always rogue and second ball was my Mizuno and these were for the score. I would hit extra balls here and there after but they did not factor in score results. So the results are............

rogue x 60r graphite by 5 bus lengths. One of the comments hit it on the head as the lighter shaft keeps me smooth and better tempo. I felt my club I needed to work harder. But smooth and better tempo Is how I hit my best shots, even with my clubs but they still weren’t as good. I was hitting greens with a club sometimes 2 clubs less which made the game easier. I know it’s jacked lofts and ppl will say u just wanna say I hit 8 vs ..., but reality it’s furthest from the truth. The confidence with taking a shorter club, what feels like a more controllable swing to score better. In the end that is my goal it’s not to hit whatever iron longer then anyone or brag on that, I want to shoot my best score and give myself the best chance to break my lowest round. So rogue x I shot 39 through 9 holes and parred number 10. Mizuno I shot 43 and only hit 3 girs. The 3 bogeys came from 2 greens missed and a 3 putt from 50ish feet. I actually hit 6 girs in those 10 holes. My clubs only outplayed/outhit the rogue x on 3 occasions.

1) off tee hit a nice 5iron high draw, rogue x I bottom grooved it but only ended up 10-12 yds short of it.
2) 160 yd approach shot I hit a 7 iron to 10-12 ft, rogue x I hit 8 iron to 15-20ft. Was long withdown hill putt
3) off the tee again puréd 5iron Mizuno vs a slight fat rogue but again result was 10 yds apart if that.

that was what I noticed I mishit both irons equally but the result with rogue was not aspunishing. I had one hole where I made the exact swing with a 7 iron off the tee. Fatted both clubs but the Mizuno dug and I laid the turf over, the rogue I felt it hit them slide across and the result was still good. I actually was kinda annoyed cause being a 9.5 hcp and at one point even lower I never seen myself as a sgi guy but the results proved that I was completely wrong. I’m prolly gonna sell the Mizuno and look for rogue x and might even try Mavrik and see if there is any difference between the two.

it definitely was an interesting test and results were eye opening.

so I was fit at 2nd swing not sure if I mentioned that. But once the rain became a mist I got out for 10 holes hitting 2-4 balls each hole different lies and distance. Also only hit irons off the tee and I played the par 4s between 312 yds shortest 385yds longest. Didn’t adjust tees for par 3s or 5s. Disclaimer I played my first ball was always rogue and second ball was my Mizuno and these were for the score. I would hit extra balls here and there after but they did not factor in score results. So the results are............

it definitely was an interesting test and results were eye opening.
That was a very interesting test, and I'll bet you wouldn't have predicted those results! Glad you shared it, it's interesting to read a direct comparison like that.

That was a very interesting test, and I'll bet you wouldn't have predicted those results! Glad you shared it, it's interesting to read a direct comparison like that.
You got that right, definitely eye opening, shocked and actually was somewhat discouraged. Kinda thought my game was better but definitely need more help. Going over my stats and it definitely backs it up with a horrible gir percentage. But from fittings indoors, simulators, goin on a course and being able to go head to head is the way to go.

funny cause that brings me back years ago when Callaway came out with the fusion driver. Fitting indoors that beat everything but on the course it was easily one of the worst drivers I’ve ever owned. Nothing but high spin moon balls, but indoors it was a numbers beast.

Getting fit can be a bit tricky. Sometimes when you are swinging 6i after 6i your swing is different than it is on the course when you hit a driver then an iron and play 3 or 4 more shots before you hit another iron.

Try taking your friends clubs out for a full round and see how they behave.

Getting fit can be a bit tricky. Sometimes when you are swinging 6i after 6i your swing is different than it is on the course when you hit a driver then an iron and play 3 or 4 more shots before you hit another iron.

Try taking your friends clubs out for a full round and see how they behave.
See post #28, he took his and his friends clubs out on the course for 10 holes and hit them back to back. Not a full round, but seemed like enough to give him a pretty good idea of how they stacked up against each other.

actually was somewhat discouraged.
I've always been underwhelmed by my Mizuno fitting. But here's the thing, had I not been fitted I would have always wondered if fitted clubs might help. At least now I'm a little closer to knowing the answer is probably no or at least not much.

I've always been underwhelmed by my Mizuno fitting. But here's the thing, had I not been fitted I would have always wondered if fitted clubs might help. At least now I'm a little closer to knowing the answer is probably no or at least not much.
Lol I’m starting to believe it. Now my driver fitting went well and I have improved on that end. Iron fitting doesn’t seem so much. And putter fittings showed me I need a shorter putter 32-33in but I have a slight arc but I have best results with face balanced, so who knows.

I think some of it depends on the person, too. A friend of mine who recently took up golf got fitted for a full Callaway bag - he's 5'10, and was fit into off the rack clubs, standard length and lie. I'm 6'6" with a 38" inseam, so it's not like I can walk into a store and buy clubs off the rack - my current irons are +1 1/2" and 5° upright with jumbo grips, and my putter is a 38" length.

I'd guess that the hypothetical "average" golfer could play off the rack clubs with minimal adjustments and it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. Guys who are above or below that "average" would be affected far more by it. My game isn't great by any means, but I'm pretty sure it would be even worse if I tried playing stock out of the box clubs.

See post #28, he took his and his friends clubs out on the course for 10 holes and hit them back to back. Not a full round, but seemed like enough to give him a pretty good idea of how they stacked up against each other.

I read the post. Hitting two irons on each hole isn’t the same as playing a full round when you only make each swing that counts. Before I would rush to a reshaft I would want to play a full round with them. For me the key is how good the misses are. If I hit 7 shots are a little better then one that causes a penalty I would chose the shaft with better consistency.

I read the post. Hitting two irons on each hole isn’t the same as playing a full round when you only make each swing that counts. Before I would rush to a reshaft I would want to play a full round with them. For me the key is how good the misses are. If I hit 7 shots are a little better then one that causes a penalty I would chose the shaft with better consistency.

Excellent !

This is a good point and similar to what I was trying to convey about the shot with his friends club being a "free shot" and potentially not the same pressure

Looking at this another way - how long have you had your fitted irons for?
Over time, your swing can change, and maybe his clubs fit you better now because of that?

I know my swing changed a lot in the space of a couple years - I went from my Srixon Z545 irons (fitted) with Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour130 shafts in regular flex to a combo set of the Z-Forged/Z785 with Tour105 shafts in x-flex because of how much my swing has changed in the 4 years since I was originally fitted for my Z545 set
Since I was fitted for the new set early last year, I have reduced my handicap from 12 down to 9 in about 7 months and even shot a +2 personal best at my home club

This was exactly what I was going to say.

Way back when, my irons were 1* flat, now they are 2* upright. Your swing can change over time. Incidentally, I wouldn't worry about being fit or not being fitted ...... it's the results that count on the golf course.
If I could play with a piece of bamboo with a shell attached to the end of it & it got me from point A to point B, I would. (some of you might get that reference :unsure:)

This is a good point and similar to what I was trying to convey about the shot with his friends club being a "free shot" and potentially not the same pressure

just played 9 holes with the roguex first ball and my club second and hands down rogue X out hit my clubs

I think some of it depends on the person, too. A friend of mine who recently took up golf got fitted for a full Callaway bag - he's 5'10, and was fit into off the rack clubs, standard length and lie. I'm 6'6" with a 38" inseam, so it's not like I can walk into a store and buy clubs off the rack - my current irons are +1 1/2" and 5° upright with jumbo grips, and my putter is a 38" length.

I'd guess that the hypothetical "average" golfer could play off the rack clubs with minimal adjustments and it probably wouldn't make a huge difference. Guys who are above or below that "average" would be affected far more by it. My game isn't great by any means, but I'm pretty sure it would be even worse if I tried playing stock out of the box clubs.
Agreed. I think it depends on a couple of things - certainly the individual being a big part of the equation. In your case, that +1 1/2" is a huge difference. But it also depends on the fitter. Some are craftsmen at their profession, others are salesmen.

In all fairness, most fittings are free when you purchase a set of irons. Of those fittings, I'd guess most are beneficial - even if slightly. But in the case of the OP, the off-the-shelf clubs aren't simply performing as well as the fitted set, they seem to be out-performing them. There are a lot possible reasons for that, but you can't ignore the possibility that his original fitter did a poor job.

Definitely following this one as I recently got fitted for irons and ordered a new set of irons and hoping for the best. Time will tell as they say.
Just started playing with my fitted clubs. They are making a big difference but the again I came from 2006 irons. I have a lot more confidence that is for sure.

Btw, where were you fitted and what launch monitor did they use? Indoor or outdoor?

So trigger was pulled. The plan is to start a new thread tracking my rounds and stats with what is basically a non-fitted set Of OTR SGI set. In that thread I’ll briefly explain game, hcp a few other things and what I will track.

back to the trigger pulled, after a boat load of stores having nothing I finally found a set of rogue x 5-aw stiff kbs max 90 stiff.,I will be in search of a matching gap wedge in that set. I also added a Callaway sureout 2 60 degree.

I will say after havingtrouble finding these irons I did hit the Mavrik both max and standard, and easily the standard for me was much better. But the club that really intrigued me was cobra sz irons. They looked great, easy to hit and a great feeling iron. I almost pulled the trigger but I stuck to my games and continued my search for what I was looking for.

I will be curious to see how your future tests come out. I would think a bigger sample size is needed.

I will be curious to see how your future tests come out. I would think a bigger sample size is needed.
I agree so prior to the purchase I did 3 9 holes rounds with buddies rogue x ball 1 and my clubs ball 2 and my clubs got beat up pretty good. Also added in 2 range sessions and same results. Now it’s feb and I’m from Maryland so golfing won’t be consistent yet but I plan in playing Monday. Also FYI I hit putters today for 2-3 hrs every brand at 2 Nd swing and got the truss fang 33in. I’ll post on that also

So the premise was toss your Mizunos get your buddies clubs with Reg Graphite Rogue X...but what you get is KBS max 90 Stiff...……..What was the exact shaft in your buddies clubs? And why wouldn't you duplicate them?

So the premise was toss your Mizunos get your buddies clubs with Reg Graphite Rogue X...but what you get is KBS max 90 Stiff...……..What was the exact shaft in your buddies clubs? And why wouldn't you duplicate them?

had trouble finding them, but was able to find both sets. Now my 7 iron swing speed is 85-88mph and easily is stiff and tempo. His happen to be regular which were very light but still hit better then mine. So the premise was get the rogue x in a lighter shaft and I tested the reg vs the stiff I found, actually tested 2 reg flex one in graphite and one stiff verse thesteel stiff and the stiff felt better.

that’s y I did get the regular, I’m still spending $600 on a set, I want irons that feel good to me and what I think is best chance to succeed in this.But in end goal was lighter shafts and rogue x irons and no fitting. The set was being purchased off the rack and I strictly decided on feel and what gave me best tempo and what I felt I made best contact with.

Btw, where were you fitted and what launch monitor did they use? Indoor or outdoor?
Did you ever say where you were fitted? Was it just a bad fit to start?

Did you ever say where you were fitted? Was it just a bad fit to start?
2nd swing tour van fitting, trackman. Same results of lie and everything pretty similar with a fitting at pgass and rep from both Titleist and ping

Back