esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So i went to Golf Galaxy near me and was messing around in a bay hitting clubs. I spoke with the master fitter and he impressed me and booked a fitting with him.

Here is some background info:
My current set is the Cobra Froged Tec 2019 5-GW in Copper with the KBS-C Taper Lite stiff shafts and 1/2 short. I have no issue with the irons but I was curious about all the irons on the market. When i was messing around at Golf Galaxy i hit the Mizuno 923 forged that I really liked, Cobra Forged tec 21, Ping I 525 and Taylormade p 790. I really liked the Mizuno and the Ping I 525

The fitting:

I brought my 7 iron to get a baseline for my fitting. Hit a bunch of balls and told the fitter about my clubs being a 1/2 inch short . My average distance with this club is about 165 yards He saw my swing and starting putting together irons for me to hit. He put sticker to see where the impact was on my face of my 7 iron. it was interesting because the face sticker showed my miss was more on the toe. The fitter also said that the C-Taper Lite was a super stiff shaft. i was open to try anything to find the best irons for me.

1. The first club i hit was the Cobra forged Tec 21 with the $ taper stiff shaft. From moment i got the club in my hand it just felt right. So after a few swings and crushing the ball. My carry was like 180 yards with spin ar 4500 rpm's. The fitter was like wow. I said the shaft is amazing. Hit a few more balls and my mishits where like 165 yards on avg and were playable. He then put a face sticker on the club and the toe misses decreased dramatically and i was hitting in the center at higher percentage. Joe (fitter) said what every you go with it has to be standard length. I was shocked how much a half inch longer shaft made things much easier. I was say my average carry was about 180 yards 20* launch and about 4500 spin rate. My launch was a little high but with the spin being at about 4500 the fitter had no issue because the descent angle had the ball stopping on the green.
  2. The Mizuno 225 was up next. It felt ok but was not for me.
  3. I also hit the Srixon zx 5 with the S taper stiff shaft. It just didn't feel great.
  4. Then i hit the Ping I 525. This felt the 2nd best but the Forged Tec but was distant 2nd.
After hitting all these different clubs i looked at the fitter and said what else do you have for me. His quote was "nothing that is going to beat the Cobra Forged Tec performance but, if you want to keep going we could". I looked at him and said i am done.

Summary:
I had no idea how much that half inch shorter shaft was hurting me finding the sweet spot of the club. Also the shaft change was a dramatic difference. If i was going to keep my current gamers i would need to re-shaft them at minimum but that is no fun.

I am going to buy the Cobra Forged Tec 5-GW, with the $taper stiff standard loft/lie. There track man was telling me I am flying my 7 iron on avg 180 yards of the new forged tec, so i have gained 15 yards from current gamer. This is a club and half by my estimation. I am waiting on the matte black Forged Tec to release and these clubs will be ordered .

I am super excited to get these clubs

So i went to Golf Galaxy near me and was messing around in a bay hitting clubs. I spoke with the master fitter and he impressed me and booked a fitting with him.

Here is some background info:
My current set is the Cobra Froged Tec 2019 5-GW in Copper with the KBS-C Taper Lite stiff shafts and 1/2 short. I have no issue with the irons but I was curious about all the irons on the market. When i was messing around at Golf Galaxy i hit the Mizuno 923 forged that I really liked, Cobra Forged tec 21, Ping I 525 and Taylormade p 790. I really liked the Mizuno and the Ping I 525

The fitting:

I brought my 7 iron to get a baseline for my fitting. Hit a bunch of balls and told the fitter about my clubs being a 1/2 inch short . My average distance with this club is about 165 yards He saw my swing and starting putting together irons for me to hit. He put sticker to see where the impact was on my face of my 7 iron. it was interesting because the face sticker showed my miss was more on the toe. The fitter also said that the C-Taper Lite was a super stiff shaft. i was open to try anything to find the best irons for me.

1. The first club i hit was the Cobra forged Tec 21 with the $ taper stiff shaft. From moment i got the club in my hand it just felt right. So after a few swings and crushing the ball. My carry was like 180 yards with spin ar 4500 rpm's. The fitter was like wow. I said the shaft is amazing. Hit a few more balls and my mishits where like 165 yards on avg and were playable. He then put a face sticker on the club and the toe misses decreased dramatically and i was hitting in the center at higher percentage. Joe (fitter) said what every you go with it has to be standard length. I was shocked how much a half inch longer shaft made things much easier. I was say my average carry was about 180 yards 20* launch and about 4500 spin rate. My launch was a little high but with the spin being at about 4500 the fitter had no issue because the descent angle had the ball stopping on the green.
  2. The Mizuno 225 was up next. It felt ok but was not for me.
  3. I also hit the Srixon zx 5 with the S taper stiff shaft. It just didn't feel great.
  4. Then i hit the Ping I 525. This felt the 2nd best but the Forged Tec but was distant 2nd.
After hitting all these different clubs i looked at the fitter and said what else do you have for me. His quote was "nothing that is going to beat the Cobra Forged Tec performance but, if you want to keep going we could". I looked at him and said i am done.

Summary:
I had no idea how much that half inch shorter shaft was hurting me finding the sweet spot of the club. Also the shaft change was a dramatic difference. If i was going to keep my current gamers i would need to re-shaft them at minimum but that is no fun.

I am going to buy the Cobra Forged Tec 5-GW, with the $taper stiff standard loft/lie. There track man was telling me I am flying my 7 iron on avg 180 yards of the new forged tec, so i have gained 15 yards from current gamer. This is a club and half by my estimation. I am waiting on the matte black Forged Tec to release and these clubs will be ordered .

I am super excited to get these clubs
Sounds awesome. Glad you found one that works so well. I had no intention of buying new irons this year. Still happy with both my new SMS irons and my 2020 forge tec sets. Then I saw the black FTs. That pretty much guaranteed I’d be spending money I had not planned to.

Would have liked to hear what you had to say about the 923 Forged. I didn't do well with the 225s either but the 923F were like rockets for me. Glad it worked out for you. I was in that GG a couple months back.

This is good stuff. Thanks for sharing your experience, just goes to show how important a fitting can be. Enjoy your Forged Tecs!

Always a heck of thing when someone finds out the equipment they were using was hindering them and they get the right stuff in their hands.

I can never understand golfers who don't demo product to see if there is a better for them.
Golf is not meant to be a "Monogamy"

Thats fantastic how you went in with an open mind and are now seeing a huge jump in your distance and striking too. Great motivator for someone like me who's been considering a fitting.

I certainly feel his comment about the C-taper lites being very stiff. I really do feel like I barely flex mine through my swing - especially as I break it down and try to re-make it. I figure I was trying to swing for the fences with my old swing when I went and got fit and these were just the shafts that helped control my ridiculous choppy swing the best.

Were your clubs 1/2” short because they came that way or was it due to something else?

The fitter i first met with think all irons are too long. So he fit me an 1/2 inch shorter. The standard length for my swing just makes it easier to hit the sweet spot. On the course if i get out there one 175 yards, I will be very happy.

Sounds awesome. Glad you found one that works so well. I had no intention of buying new irons this year. Still happy with both my new SMS irons and my 2020 forge tec sets. Then I saw the black FTs. That pretty much guaranteed I’d be spending money I had not planned to.

I am waiting on the black but i want to see if they could get me the $ taper stiff in the black pvd shaft. i am also little a concerned on how the black will wear being the copper didn't wear great

That's a pretty sweet experience there, glad you got something out of it.

It was really eye opening! the standard vs half an inch short was shocking to me. The Forged Tec a rocket launcher

I am waiting on the black but i want to see if they could get me the $ taper stiff in the black pvd shaft. i am also little a concerned on how the black will wear being the copper didn't wear great
If black on this iteration is as good as the forge tec offering prior to the 2020 King Forge Tec they will be fine. My buddy has those and they have worn really well

Would have liked to hear what you had to say about the 923 Forged. I didn't do well with the 225s either but the 923F were like rockets for me. Glad it worked out for you. I was in that GG a couple months back.

I should hit the 923 forged but the fitter said after seeing everything you should hit the 923 HMP's which i didn't like. I just think there was nothing they could put together was going to be the forged tec combination. Where in CT are you? We should get a round in this season

This should be shown to anyone who says fittings are overrated :cool:

15 more yards? Better dispersion? Higher launch? Wow - Great thread

From the moment these clubs were in my hands it just felt right. The sounds, the feel and the launch and distance were just too good pass up. The best shot i hit was baby draw with a 190 carry. My advice is get fit and do not sleep on Cobra Golf

Always a heck of thing when someone finds out the equipment they were using was hindering them and they get the right stuff in their hands.

I cannot wait for the weahrer here to get warm and get out there with these new sticks and see what happens with my scores

Thats fantastic how you went in with an open mind and are now seeing a huge jump in your distance and striking too. Great motivator for someone like me who's been considering a fitting.

So when i was fitted for my current gamers, I worked for Puma on the lifestyle side of the business. So i obviously i was going with Cobra clubs. After leaving Puma last year. i was like let's gets fitted and see where the chips fall. I was open to any brand. If shovels would get around the course under par I would have 14 shovels in my bag. I was really leaning toward Mizuno or Ping but the Forged tec $ taper combination was too good.

But the copper... Yum.

The KBS $-Taper Stiff is the shaft I play and I really like them as well.

Have played other KBS shafts as well: the C-Taper, Tour, Hi Rev 2.0, Tour-V, Tour-V wedge and the 610 Wedge, PGI and TGI.

My favorites are the $-Taper and the Tour V wedge shaft.

The fitter i first met with think all irons are too long. So he fit me an 1/2 inch shorter. The standard length for my swing just makes it easier to hit the sweet spot. On the course if i get out there one 175 yards, I will be very happy.

It’s all about the sweet spot. That’s one of my concerns getting fit, if I’m going to do something to compensate for what’s in my hands. There’s a Titlest and Ping event at the course I play in April. Might give it whirl and see what’s what. No plans to really purchase anything except wedges. Might be a hard battle if balls are flying though.

Sounds like an awesome experience and is going to help out your game

Back