Fowler vs GMac: Compare and Contrast

What was DJ's lead heading into that final round? Brutal.

he had a 3 shot lead heading in to the round. 3 shot lead on the 2nd tee, but time he took the ball out of the 4th hole, he was down 3. Gmac made his only birde of the day on 5, and bogeyed 4 of the last 10 holes.

I like GMac, but I think Fowler's wins are more impressive. Yes I know Gmac has a US Open(that was practically given to him).

IF we look at their two biggest wins, Gmac shot 4 over in the final round while DJ went brain dead. Fowler went out and played the back 9 like his hair was on fire, and won in a playoff for his Players victory.

As a whole here are Fowler's wins....Wells Fargo(playoff over Rory and DA Points), Players Championship(playoff Sergio and Kisner), Deutche Bank(FedEx playoff event), Honda Classic, Waste Management.

Now GMac's wins...US Open, RBC Heritage, OHL Classic at Mayakoba(when it was the silly season), Corales Puntacana(alternate event).

I've never thought that Fowler was destined for greatness. I thought he'd be a guy who would get 10ish wins and maybe a major. Which isn't a bad career.

I agree. Rickie gets the edge for the better wins, even with GMac's US Open.

What is greatness? Purely wins? Look at Fowler’s top 10 percentage. His greatness lies in his consistency and where he shines over Gmac.

I don’t think they’re the same caliber of player. Fowler may not have the wins however his consistency puts him at a higher level.

Winning on the PGA is so bloody hard. I don’t think you can define greatness based on wins alone. Look at all those great players that were forced to deal with Tiger’s dominance.

I'm starting to think Rickie will end up like Couples. One major, couple Players titles and a 2-3 year hot streak in his 30's where he gets enough wins to put him solidly in the teens. They are both extremely popular with fans and while the Ryder Cup record is spotty they have had/will have their moments....

GMac I see as being more limited. Only a factor at certain tournaments going forward, totally dependent on the putter for success and not likely to win more than a couple more events. (Watch him now win US Open this year, a couple other events before the next Ryder Cup and then totally dominate the US next year at Whistling Straits)

What is greatness? Purely wins? Look at Fowler’s top 10 percentage. His greatness lies in his consistency and where he shines over Gmac.

I don’t think they’re the same caliber of player. Fowler may not have the wins however his consistency puts him at a higher level.

Winning on the PGA is so bloody hard. I don’t think you can define greatness based on wins alone. Look at all those great players that were forced to deal with Tiger’s dominance.

While the PGA Tour is king, there are other places where both players have won.
Although I would say yes, greatness in sports is defined by winning.

You forgot that one of Fowler's wins was the Fifth Major lol. I like both guys and I had no idea their careers were so similar. I'm a big fan of GMac because he went to one of my alma maters (UAB). Good to see him playing well again.

I feel like Fowler perfectly fits the saying "Always a bridesmaid..." Seems he is always on the cusp, but at this point maybe that is just who he will always be.

I've always thought of Rickie as this generations Boom Boom. Their popularity far exceeds their on course success.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

he had a 3 shot lead heading in to the round. 3 shot lead on the 2nd tee, but time he took the ball out of the 4th hole, he was down 3. Gmac made his only birde of the day on 5, and bogeyed 4 of the last 10 holes.
Damn.
71a648d61ac2a20e23391491b1043df6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn.
71a648d61ac2a20e23391491b1043df6.jpg

DJ shot 82(+12) and lost by 5 to a guy he had a 3 shot lead on that shot 74(+4).

Gmac is a nice guy, but was labeled a 'big game player' after the US Open win and Ryder Cup singles match over Hunter Mahan....then nothing for years.

Two of his PGA wins shouldn't count, Mayakoba and Punta Cana. Better than I can do, but that's not saying much.

Ricky is young and talented enough to win more big events. Mickelson was 34 when he won his first major, I can see Ricky doing the same.

DJ shot 82(+12) and lost by 5 to a guy he had a 3 shot lead on that shot 74(+4).

Didn't only 2-3 guys in the top 20 shoot par or better in the final round, including Tiger shooting 75 or 76?
While DJ threw up all over himself, which he has been known to do on Sunday, +4 typed out now sounds a lot worse than it was while the event was going on.

Amazing the similarities, I would have never thought of comparing them, but honestly, based on the numbers, they are fairly close. It's almost like Rickie's more top 10s quote to one of Gmac wins being a major.

Didn't only 2-3 guys in the top 20 shoot par or better in the final round, including Tiger shooting 75 or 76?
While DJ threw up all over himself, which he has been known to do on Sunday, +4 typed out now sounds a lot worse than it was while the event was going on.

it was a tougher day scoring wise. Of the top 11 golfers(tied 8th) there are only two guys who he shot better than. 1 was woods(75), and DJ is the other.

My whole point on this topic, is that I look at how Gmac won the US Open and how Ricky won The Players, and I am more impressed with what Ricky did to win that tournament, than what Gmac did for the US Open.

Very similar so far. I really thought when Rickie won The Players he was going to go on a run. Hasn't happened. Feels like he can hit all the shots, is plenty long, and a good putter. Hoping he can get a major. I still think he will at some point.

GMac is my favorite player. I just dont think he has the length for some of these tournaments. Im really hoping for a win a PB this year. I would love to see him do it and also do well at the Open.

Interesting comparison. I've been a fan of both and would love to see both win more. Was glad to see GMac get another win. Hopefully he can build some momentum. Was surprised Fowler has had so many top 10's. That's pretty darn impressive in today's tour.

Looking at these two players and their PGA Tour stats is rather interesting. They have played similar amount of PGA Tour Events with Fowler slightly edging the count there, and doubling the count in top 10s and far more top 5s too. Yet GMac has the major under his belt. Both were/are incredibly popular with the fans (lesser for McDowell at least now, obviously). You won't find two more genuine guys out there that spend time with the kids, fans and sponsors. For years now we have talked about Fowler being destined for greatness, but maybe the path is closer to GMac...or maybe he hits his groove and wins in bunches coming up.

Curious on the thoughts of THPers.

Rickie Fowler
5 wins (3 Internationally)
67 top 10s
224 events played

Graeme McDowell
4 wins (8 Internationally)
34 top 10 finishes
215 events played
1 of his 4 wins was a major

I want to say that Rickie has still yet to hit his prime. He shows promise so often, it's just a matter of playing four rounds of it.

I want to say that Rickie has still yet to hit his prime. He shows promise so often, it's just a matter of playing four rounds of it.

I agree with this. It's possible he never reaches his full potential, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does extremely well in his 30s.

If wins is all that matters, why does it matter how people win? They still have to put together 4 rounds better than a field of pros.

Back