From Shakey to Steady

Shakey

#TheGolfWhisperer
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 Index
My golf buddies have called me Shakey for years because I've had essential tremors since I was in my 20s. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, basically my hands shake all the time.

As you can imagine, this plays havoc with putting and I've tried every kind of putter/grip/weight/stance to alleviate the problem. I can't even lock onto a pin with a range finder because I can't keep it steady.

Alcohol helps, but as much as I might like it, I can't go though life with a buzz.

After a particularly bad round a couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to bite the bullet & book an appointment with the neurologist on 19th. I'm hopeful that I'm one of the cases that can be controlled with meds.

If I can get this under control, maybe I'll be able to change my Forum name from Shakey to Steady.

Hope it works out for ya man!!

Good luck on the 19th Tom

Glad to hear you're going in, Tom. Those of us who have teamed-up with you know that Shakey is only a playful moniker at this point. If you're able to change that to "Steady", I'll be super happy for you.

Good luck with the neurologist - - I hope they are able to help you!!

Best of luck!

Hope you find some answers and much needed relief.

Best of luck Tom! I like the name steady

Sent from HTX

My golf buddies have called me Shakey for years because I've had essential tremors since I was in my 20s. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, basically my hands shake all the time.

As you can imagine, this plays havoc with putting and I've tried every kind of putter/grip/weight/stance to alleviate the problem. I can't even lock onto a pin with a range finder because I can't keep it steady.

Alcohol helps, but as much as I might like it, I can't go though life with a buzz.

After a particularly bad round a couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to bite the bullet & book an appointment with the neurologist on 19th. I'm hopeful that I'm one of the cases that can be controlled with meds.

If I can get this under control, maybe I'll be able to change my Forum name from Shakey to Steady.

Good luck man. I've had almost constant tremors in my hands since 2010 related to medication I have to take. I wish you nothing but the best...at least we can commiserate on how hard it is to eat chips and salsa in front of people :)

my dad has the same type of tremors. he cut out caffeine and it helped him.

Best of luck and hoping for a great outcome.

Good luck Tom. Would love to hear that Steady has joined the forum.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Good luck. Here's hoping to call you steady very soon.

A lot of people in my family have a tremor and they typically prescribe a super low dose of anxiety medication to fix it. My mom took it and it got rid of her tremor completely.

I've got the same thing. Always shook on occasion, but in my early 40's it started to become an issue.
I used to play pool pretty well. That's gotten embarrassing. Can't hold a rangefinder steady. Short putts are WAY harder than they should be.

I've seen a neurologist, when it really started getting bad. He confirmed it wasn't Parkinson's, and started describing the medications. I didn't like the potential side effects, and that any I recognized are anti-epileptics.
Since they can't predict progress, I'm sort of in limbo. Short version was "when you can't make it through a bowl of soup, come back and we'll try the meds".

I hope there's something that will work for you, and that you avoid any side effects. As far as golf, I've found I minimize the shakes by using a heavier mallet instead of the blade putters I preferred. So far, so average.

Good luck man! Hope they can figure it out for you.

Good luck man!! I hope there’s a solution for you.

good luck and hopefully they're able to help

Good luck Tom. I'm looking forward to a golf beatdown courtesy of Steady in the near future.

The neurologists should be able to help. Best of luck for a successful outcome!

Good luck with it!

Will be praying for you. In the meantime, I know you said you've tried different weights in your putter, but I doubt you've tried this. There's a company (or used to be a company... he's out of business now) called Mentor Sports who used to make putters that had a great range of adjustability. I'm playing the Duet now and I have a Triad II. The point is, they're mallet putters with holes in the body for adding weights to increase the weight & MOI. The Duet has 2 holes and the Triad II has 3 holes. He even made a Quadra that had 4 holes, but I don't have any of those. The weights were made in 17g, 50g, and 100g weights and IIRC the headweights were 350g for the Duet and 330g for the Triad II. So, you could feasibly have a 550g head (what I'm putting with now) with the Duet or a 630g head with the Triad II. Add in a steel shaft and a 100g weight in the butt of the shaft and you'd have a putter that was just under 2lbs with the Duet or right at 2lbs with the Triad II. Obviously, I don't know how shakey your hands are, but this thing would be very difficult to shake.

I still have the guy's email if you'd like to email him to see if he has any remaining stock. The used to be on eBay, but I didn't see any just now when I looked.

Good thoughts headed your way man. This could be a very big deal for you.

Back