Pr3cision

Reaction score
A chat about all things PC/gaming related!

Interested in if any fellow THP'ers dabble in the gaming PC world!
If so, what is your gaming/streaming setup?
What games do you play?

Here's mine:

• Dell 27" S2721HGF 144Hz Monitor x1 (more to come!)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor
  • AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB GPU
  • ASUS B550M Board
  • 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
  • WD 500GB SSD
  • 650W PSU
  • Windows 10 Pro

I do, although my time has been cut significantly due to a newborn.

I have a Dell 34” ultrawide that I’ve had forever, but have been waiting for a V2 of the 49” super ultrawide hopefully in OLED before changing. I play almost exclusively sims in VR, so monitor is essentially just used for working (with the rare COD session or some other random FPS). My VR headsets are a Pimax 5K+ and Reverb G2...I’ve bought and returned the Index twice now.

I have a 3090FE that I somehow snagged on launch day. Didn’t realize what an accomplishment that was at the time, given supply issues. I have a 5900X CPU, same story. I still have my old Corsair H115i Platinum AIO bc the baby was born before I got around to switching that. 32GB of Corsair RAM, can’t remember specific model, but it’s the same as the AIO...planned to change to a B-die set, but then the baby came.

I play DCS and sim racers exclusively, mostly ACC on the sim racing side. I’ve got about $15K of sim hardware for those rigs, but will need to circle back to list all the details there out. Daddy duty calls for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last winter I built this one.

Cooler Master Q300L case w/ 4 fans
ASRock B450 M Pro motherboard
Ryzen 2700X cpu
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 300-CPU Cooler
980 GTX video card
GSkill RipJaws 3200 16GB
Team Group 256GB SSD
WD Blue 1TB HD
LG Flatron w2353 monitor
Logitech 2 speakers and subwoofer

Corsair Hs50 headset
Saitek x52 Pro stick + throttle

I mostly play IL-2 BOS + expansions and some random first person shooters. I'm picky with PC games so I don't play tons. Right now I'm not playing anything because I'm over the coding hump with my Unity Space Shooter and I spend most of gaming time coding/designing that.

Recently picked up & installed a 6TB WD Black Performance HDD. Have been impressed with how quick my games have been loading so far. Will eventually slow down but it does the job so far.

Oooh this is my jam.

PC 011 Dynamic White Case
Ryzen 5600
Asus TUF 3080
32GB of TridentZ 3000 Mhz RAM
Mix of NVMes, SSDs, and HDDs (too much if I’m being honest)
Samsung 240hz G7 Monitor
Asus TUF X570-Plus MB
Corsair H115i AIO

I have a few other goodies as well:
A shiit DAC/amp for a Sennheiser HD600
A yeti arm/mic which is my favorite thing right now
Custom build KB with Holy Pandas
Glorious PC ultra-light mouse - Model O

I built mine a few years ago now. 1070ti with an i7.

Everything I've read said that the newer 70's are insanely powerful by comparison, but also super challenging to find. If I was still playing games regularly I'd try to get in one, but right now the rig is doing fine.

Pretty minimal presentation.

1630681803339.png

I actually went overboard and ended up with a pretty mean Alienware gaming laptop. I didn’t want a tower right now or have the space for it, and needed portability from the garage net, mat, and monitor setup to indoors for fun as needed.

No ******* clue where to begin on gaming as I’ve always been a console guy, but I’ll figure it out. Hahahaha

I actually went overboard and ended up with a pretty mean Alienware gaming laptop. I didn’t want a tower right now or have the space for it, and needed portability from the garage net, mat, and monitor setup to indoors for fun as needed.

No ******* clue where to begin on gaming as I’ve always been a console guy, but I’ll figure it out. Hahahaha
It takes some getting used to, and 2 years in I'm still learning but I haven't touched my console in over a year now.

It takes some getting used to, and 2 years in I'm still learning but I haven't touched my console in over a year now.
This is what I keep hearing from people. I got tired of tracking consoles and missing on them, so I’m excited to have something to mess around on.

I had a lot of console friends but I was always a competitive PC gamer. Once some of my friends got gaming computers they didn't look back at their consoles for anything other than sports games. One of my engineer buddies even went as far as to make a virtual racing chair for his Forza or whatever he was playing years back.

Nothing wrong with the console, but PC is just so much nicer in my world. Though far more expensive, so that's a huge drawback to a lot of people.

Compress_20211215_135210_0860.jpg

I built this monster and it's been fun as heck. It's a two in one tower. Top PC is my gaming one and my bottom is my streaming one (don't need a graphics card for it since intel has integrated). I plan on using this when I do an indoor setup in a few years too so definitely should have no problem handling sik software. I'm atleast 3 years from a sim setup though. No room in this next house.

Do you plan on still using controllers or are you going to try and learn mouse and keyboard?

This is what I keep hearing from people. I got tired of tracking consoles and missing on them, so I’m excited to have something to mess around on.

View attachment 9074807

I built this monster and it's been fun as heck. It's a two in one tower. Top PC is my gaming one and my bottom is my streaming one (don't need a graphics card for it since intel has integrated). I plan on using this when I do an indoor setup in a few years too so definitely should have no problem handling sik software. I'm atleast 3 years from a sim setup though. No room in this next house.

Do you plan on still using controllers or are you going to try and learn mouse and keyboard?
Probably a controller. I’m not going to be doing anything competitive and it’s a comfort and ease thing.

I had a lot of console friends but I was always a competitive PC gamer. Once some of my friends got gaming computers they didn't look back at their consoles for anything other than sports games. One of my engineer buddies even went as far as to make a virtual racing chair for his Forza or whatever he was playing years back.

Nothing wrong with the console, but PC is just so much nicer in my world. Though far more expensive, so that's a huge drawback to a lot of people.
Yea, price is a big turnoff for some but in the end it's worth it. That Forza setup was problem awesome! I think all my friends have made the jump to pc at this point as well. Probably cause we are all older and wiser? Haha

Probably a controller. I’m not going to be doing anything competitive and it’s a comfort and ease thing.
Oh for sure. I did controller for the first 6 months but my viewers kept giving me crap haha. I'm slowing learning M&K. Playing Assassins Creed Valhalla as of late. Solo games are a good way to learn should you ever want to go that route.

Oh for sure. I did controller for the first 6 months but my viewers kept giving me crap haha. I'm slowing learning M&K. Playing Assassins Creed Valhalla as of late. Solo games are a good way to learn should you ever want to go that route.
I prefer the solo games most of the time anyway. I’ll not lie, I’m most excited about the mods on PC for a lot of these games. People are creative as hell.

I prefer the solo games most of the time anyway. I’ll not lie, I’m most excited about the mods on PC for a lot of these games. People are creative as hell.
I'm atill mostly compiter illiterate and I'm always blown away by what people can create with coding etc for mods. I played ARK almost religiously (pre my interest in golf) and the mods people made for that were insane. At that time though I was on Xbox and couldnt partake.

Ooh so much to do. I would start with downloading Steam as well as looking into Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Steam is the main marketplace for games and they OFTEN go on sale - it's going to be much easier trying something out with the lower price tag. In that same vein the game pass subscription will allow you to play any game xbox has on game pass which will always include their first party games like recently released Halo, Forza Horizon 5 and their older catalog like Gears of War and older Forza games. They also routinely put new games on the platform to play - even on the PC. The cost of entry is low to try out any type of game you can imagine, and there is no harm trying out a game in a genre you usually wouldn't consider.

Depending on what you're into, there's also Epic Games Launcher (Fortnite, Rocket League, etc but are ONLY on Epic Games Launcher) and other company specific launchers as well (but these most likely be on Steam anyway).

I built a gaming computer just after Covid started. Nothing too fancy as I play mostly a game which is 20 years old and still going strong. Mostly I play counter strike GO, Day of Defeat or Heros and Generals.

View attachment 9074807

Nice rig!!!

Alienware is such a beastly setup.

I bet it pumps out significantly higher power than my tower if it's latest spec stuff. Very cool buddy.

I've since added two more sticks of Ram for 64Gigs total at 3200MHz ... (yes I know that's ridiculous but sometimes ridiculous is fun)

Picked up a PS5 for my son for Christmas but he keeps asking for a gaming PC. Anyone know if you can find something in a box store for around $500-600 that isn’t complete junk ? Just don’t have the time to build something.

Picked up a PS5 for my son for Christmas but he keeps asking for a gaming PC. Anyone know if you can find something in a box store for around $500-600 that isn’t complete junk ? Just don’t have the time to build something.
That price range would be a tough get... Microcenter has always been good for me. They have one for $800 but that is tower only no monitor. It's in store pickup only. They might have something else in store. My understanding is video cards have been hard to get and have driven prices thru the roof...

look for something called a Treasure Box or similar... pretty much refurbished/rebuilt workstation PCs (with actually decent hardware!) that can be a very good value once you add a better graphics card. there is still good performance if you go a few generations back

Any idea what games he's looking at? That can help determine a few things.. I had luck with some of the stuff from Dell Outlet. "Scratch and Dent" showed up with a little scrape down the side of the tower that was never seen again. XPS is decent from them and could be viable if you're able to come up a bit in price to say mid 700's etc.

Back