Geofencing is the WORST!

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I get it. It's important, especially at busy clubs, but these things are so often misaligned, that it becomes annoying.

What makes it worse, is when there are "Carts ⇰" signs in the fairways, and rough suggesting a boundary line, only for the geofence to lock you up long before you reach the signs, forcing you to reverse your way back, potentially holding up the group behind you. I see this every day, and wish it didn't exist.

Who's with me?

100%, I’ve been stuck in between to holes that are right next to each other because of poor mapping. Worst part is it played an alarm sound and everyone was just staring while I tried to get back to the right area at a snails pace.

Nah, the pluses totally outweigh the negatives in favor of Geofencing.

It doesn't take that long to hit reverse and move over, and most carts with geofencing show it on the gps pretty well.

I get it. It's important, especially at busy clubs, but these things are so often misaligned, that it becomes annoying.

What makes it worse, is when there are "Carts ⇰" signs in the fairways, and rough suggesting a boundary line, only for the geofence to lock you up long before you reach the signs, forcing you to reverse your way back, potentially holding up the group behind you. I see this every day, and wish it didn't exist.

Who's with me?
I think it's a little bit course dependent. Courses with dangerous areas or low areas that excess rain or water goes to I can see it. Most of the time I'm with you in that it's pretty stupid.

They’re the absolute worst. I’ve been on a couple courses with them and they’ll think you’re off the fenced cart path, when you’re right in the middle of it. Great. Stuck in the middle of a cart path…

It doesn't take that long to hit reverse and move over, and most carts with geofencing show it on the gps pretty well.
Agree with this

Who's with me?
Just drive in reverse..

We have a course here that just got GPS carts, and they did not set it up very well. There are some holes where being on the actual cart path has the carts be slowed for being off course. It's wild. At least it feels like they have adjusted throughout the year a bit.

Not here they don't, and the reverse gear is painfully slow. These are Club Cars with Shark Experience GPS.

They’re the absolute worst. I’ve been on a couple courses with them and they’ll think you’re off the fenced cart path, when you’re right in the middle of it. Great. Stuck in the middle of a cart path…
This happens more often than not at my club, especially on 12. The worst is on 5, where the perimeter is set to about 100 yards from the green, but the signs are only 25 yards off, so you drive up, and it begins to chime at you - ok you're getting close, then it locks you up, and you're forced to back up at a snail's pace for 50-70 yards.

I don't know if the set perimeter is to blame for the woes, or if it's the lackluster performance of the mapping software (which is my experience with Shark.) I find Visage tends to work well

When they’re bad, they’re real bad. That doesn’t happen too often though

When they’re bad, they’re real bad. That doesn’t happen too often though
I notice it usually is gonna hit the fan when it’s geofenced AND CPO. Bruh… It’s gonna be a bad, bad day :(

I notice it usually is gonna hit the fan when it’s geofenced AND CPO. Bruh… It’s gonna be a bad, bad day :(
That is true. Better to walk that day

Who's with me?
tyler perry madea GIF

We went to a geofenced course last Friday (American Dunes in MI). We watched the group in front of us do a bunch of shenanigans on the cart path heading to the green. They stopped, backed up about 15-20 feet and then drove to the green in the grass. It took them a couple minutes to figure it out and we were like what are they doing up there? Fast forward and we get stopped on the cart path and we too had to stop, back up, and drive in the grass where it was CPO on the hole. It was pretty goofy.

I've been at a course, where it was well setup, and you could even see the boundaries on GPS, and it was ok then. It even slowed you down when going around a blind corner into a tunnel, to help prevent head on collisions.

I've also been to places where you get stuck in places you shouldn't, it is annoying to back up, but not that much of a hassle, overall. Probably worth it for any damage it prevents from people driving up on/around greens.

That sucks
To be fair, the gaps between some holes are just too much to allow for walking (i.e. it's .37 miles from 5 green to 6 tee, and then another .27 miles from 6 to 7) so it could cause an even bigger pace issue than what the tourists already cause.

Screen Shot 2023-09-28 at 11.22.38 AM.png

I don't mind GeoFencing however it drives me nuts when it's not on the Cart GPS.
Help Me Help You.

Back