Someone was comparing GG method the Leadbetters A Swing, anyone with knowledge of both agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even close if you say GG and dana dahlquist are close in what they are trying to achieve

Reviving an old one here...I've continued following on Instagram. Haven't really tried implementing anything into my swing. Anyone sign up for his online videos/lessons?

I follow GG swing tips on instagram and have watched all his videos on YouTube. There is a lot of good in what he teaches/says. One thing I like is that his players look different and have had success. Johnny Ruiz is leading the Mackenzie Tour money list. Matt Wolfe finished runner up at US Junior Am. Sung Kang is having success on the PGA. I have debated joining his sight. Only reason I haven't is I am not sure how online lessons would work. If I lived near him he would be my instructor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

From what I understand, he has the membersip on his site, that gives you access to all the lessons/drills/etc, and as a member you get a discounted rate on on-line lessons (Video analysis with cures/fixes/etc, I'm assuming) and he also has a members only FB page.

I'm not gonna lie, watching some of his IG videos makes it tempting to join...I just don't think I can deal with the emailing video and waiting for analysis (In one of his comment sections it said that replies are usually a week).

Interesting vids on youtube... seemingly out of the box thinking is worth a look if it's working.

I like his course management stuff, though I want to slap the living s*** out of some of the kids he teaches.

The positional stuff I don't find of much value, but since I follow essentially the opposite teaching philosophy, that's not surprising.

I like his course management stuff, though I want to slap the living s*** out of some of the kids he teaches.

The positional stuff I don't find of much value, but since I follow essentially the opposite teaching philosophy, that's not surprising.

One of his "kids", a dude that was his assistant for a little while, had some pretty head-shake-worthy instagram videos of his own. Giving swing tips in a speedo, teaching a hip thrust by thrusting his hips at a blowup doll, etc.

One of his "kids", a dude that was his assistant for a little while, had some pretty head-shake-worthy instagram videos of his own. Giving swing tips in a speedo, teaching a hip thrust by thrusting his hips at a blowup doll, etc.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the one. His parents must be so proud.

The California attitude is certainly different, but I viewed an hour of GG vids last night on youtube. The backswing seems fairly normal - get height and width, but then he gets to the flying elbow, which he likes, and I can see his point - it allows his students to get the elbow in front (I believe that's one point).

On the downswing, I understand the points about opening the lower body and chest and leaving the club up there - my instructor also wants me to leave the club up there longer - it's a real feel - that offers more speed, and allows the lower body and chest time to turn, which generates a whip when the club does its thing.

He seems to want a very shallow swing which is one reason to have the right elbow away from the side - I take it so you can get the right shoulder going to alleviate the extreme in to out path one might have from all of that opening of the lower body and chest.

It reminded me to widen my left arm - it was a tad bent - and that change resulted in a more shallow attack. Interesting and a bit more speed - I like that - need to incorporate it more.

The squatting exaggeration was a bit much for me. I understand what he's trying to do, but I get to the front in a slightly different, more conventional fashion/way. I do like the slight right bend during the downswing and then thrust of hips, which my instructor is getting me to do for launch, but the squatting causes all types of timing issues, so I'm overdoing it from looking at the vids. His students look more conventional.

I get to the front more conventionally - slight push off right heel, get to left toe and then turn and thrust hips up.

At the same time, I see a lot of merit in his patterns - the squat means you're not dipping the back side by keeping the hips somewhat level, and the back leg not crashing in. It gets the weight forward and lower body and chest opening up before the arms come down. Also, maintaining the width on the downswing is something I will attempt. Shallows out with more speed.

He has a lot of great ideas and some of it goes welll with my current instruction. With that squat, and the club coming from what seems like far inside, it's a rehearsal. You don't swing with the exaggeration.

My takeaway is that it's worth a look, but it can screw you up if you're not familiar with the basics.

Last edited:
I've binge watched his videos for the last 2 weeks -- why? My instructor has told me to open up the lower body more and was also looking for way to generate more of the whip-like speed that has escaped me for 20 yrs.

If you can get past the superficial, casual attitude, Gangkas has a lot of serious golf talk in here. The motions you see are all exaggerations.

What happened? On the backswing you get slightly taller, so you squat instead of goat hump on the downswing. It took a couple of weeks to review and review again the lower body movement and rehearsing it inside the house - the trail leg flex that is also used to shallow the club is unusual - still working on that aspect. I started with the left knee opening up and when you slam the left knee/leg forward, you automatically squat.

I did a lot of work on the range and it was frustrating. Changing up the leg work, and then coming home to review vids and rehearsing inside.

And then there is the almost complete relaxation of the arms to shallow out the downswing with the squat. It is work. I wanted to keep the club too high and came in steep. Opening up the lower body drove up my yardage in the whip but club was still too steep. I looked at more vides at shallowing out, and then found an Andrew Rice vid about shallowing out and it helped confirm what Gangkas says. And then more George vids as to shallowing - After a frustrating time on the range, I finally relaxed the arms and pureness was experienced for about 6 shots - and then I left.

Came back yesterday, still struggling but progress made with relaxing and shallowing - new patterns that except for the squat - are similar to what my instructor is asking me to do. But he wants my butt back in the downswing and this is what the left knee opening does.

Sum - time consuming work, but preliminary results show that I pick up 10-12 yds with each iron at times - still inconsistent, ball flight inconsistent, but I see what people are talking about in obtaining more efficient speed.

One more update as GG appears to have traction and seems to be part of a group including Chris Como, Dana Dahlquist, Joe Mayo.... and probably others.

I thought the site with lessons were valuable. I had qualms about the famous squat and how he presented hip slide.

I tried the GG squat for 2 months - did the range basket between the legs - took it to the course and it was ... let's say that some of his instruction may not work for me.

I do like much of his instruction - a setup that is not so bent over but more upright with rounded back, taking club back with butt pointing more inside the line, arms high, maintaining width in downswing, keeping back to target more, relaxed arms take care of shallowing, feeling the stretch on the downswing so the leadarm "pops off" the chest for more speed, and using ground forces.

As to the squat, I would need more months to get it done and it may require a younger athletic motion. For now, I am staying with the slight hip slide/rotation.

A real hip slide/rotation is not merely a lift of the lead hip, which would prevent opening the hips. That is not what is happening with the slight hip slide/turn - at the end of the backswing, the trail hip is higher than the lead hip. During the transition, the weight transfer occurs and the lead hip is low and opening and then goes high. I think the weight transfer is easier in this hip slide/rotate manner. In the GG rotation squat - the left hip is low and then the waist goes horizontal - all the weight is on the trail leg until P6 - shaft is parallel on downswing - and then the push off the trail foot takes place and then the hips/belt goes skyward -- that's tough for some people - like me.

I like the Grant Waite transition (lead hip goes low on downswing before up) and release. And basically, the above is what my instructor is doing with me and I see its advantages. But otherwise, the GG Swing Tips site is educational and useful. He also updates or sends emails about twice per week.

As to the squat, different strokes. Like anything else, use the patterns that work for you.

One more update as GG appears to have traction and seems to be part of a group including Chris Como, Dana Dahlquist, Joe Mayo.... and probably others.

I thought the site with lessons were valuable. I had qualms about the famous squat and how he presented hip slide.

I tried the GG squat for 2 months - did the range basket between the legs - took it to the course and it was ... let's say that some of his instruction may not work for me.

I do like much of his instruction - a setup that is not so bent over but more upright with rounded back, taking club back with butt pointing more inside the line, arms high, maintaining width in downswing, keeping back to target more, relaxed arms take care of shallowing, feeling the stretch on the downswing so the leadarm "pops off" the chest for more speed, and using ground forces.

As to the squat, I would need more months to get it done and it may require a younger athletic motion. For now, I am staying with the slight hip slide/rotation.

A real hip slide/rotation is not merely a lift of the lead hip, which would prevent opening the hips. That is not what is happening with the slight hip slide/turn - at the end of the backswing, the trail hip is higher than the lead hip. During the transition, the weight transfer occurs and the lead hip is low and opening and then goes high. I think the weight transfer is easier in this hip slide/rotate manner. In the GG rotation squat - the left hip is low and then the waist goes horizontal - all the weight is on the trail leg until P6 - shaft is parallel on downswing - and then the push off the trail foot takes place and then the hips/belt goes skyward -- that's tough for some people - like me.

I like the Grant Waite transition (lead hip goes low on downswing before up) and release. And basically, the above is what my instructor is doing with me and I see its advantages. But otherwise, the GG Swing Tips site is educational and useful. He also updates or sends emails about twice per week.

As to the squat, different strokes. Like anything else, use the patterns that work for you.

From the videos I've watched from him on Instagram I thunk the squat with rotation (including the bucket drill is an exaggeration of the feel and the students he shows including Johnny Rodriquez who is on web.com their actual swing isn't nearly as drastic of a squat. His concept of squat, rotate is similar to what others teach just on a different way.

From the videos I've watched from him on Instagram I thunk the squat with rotation (including the bucket drill is an exaggeration of the feel and the students he shows including Johnny Rodriquez who is on web.com their actual swing isn't nearly as drastic of a squat. His concept of squat, rotate is similar to what others teach just on a different way.

Yes, I realize it is an exaggeration. All instructors teach the exaggeration and then ask you to stop it once you "get the move." As a member of his site, he goes into exacting detail as to what to do - that's what I like about him. My instructor says "do this" but not how. George tells you how. When you look at his players on video, you do see the trail leg go external and flex before pushing off. It's a timing issue; it's also a comfort issue. I think my arms would really have to stay at the top to get the timing right because he tells you to have a lot of weight on the trail leg right before P6. I did the range basket drills - even bought a range basket. I like the leg separation. Just no workie for me at this time - but it may be that I'm exaggerating the wait on the weight transfer. Went to the range on Saturday - 11/11 - and did not wait on the transfer - better results but I am doing what is described in the next paragraph. Don't know if I am going external.

I think hip slide and rotation can be misrepresented (it is not a mere lifting of the lead hip) - I actually extend the rear leg, meaning my right hip is higher than the left hip (for a RH player) at the top of the backswing. GG does the same thing - and GG says the left hip is lower at the transition and then levels before the push off to the front leg. In my hip slide/rotation, the left hip is lower (same as GG) during the weight or pressure transfer, and then opens up, levels, and then is higher than the right hip as it opens, the chest opens and you crush the knees together. Sometimes, I miss the "going external" part.

What GG says is that a lead hip slide with the lead hip going higher than the right hip immediately will make it difficult to rotate - agreed. But if the left hip goes down, levels, rotates and then goes up, it's easier to rotate (and even if I don't always go external, it's similar to GG)

I joined GG to learn how to rotate easier and learned a heckuva lot more. It's a great site, but you don't have to swallow the whole bottle of aspirin; you can take what you need. And GG gives you options and matching patterns.

Last edited:
Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole for the last 4 hours. Interesting stuff, especially the right knee action on the downswing.

Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole for the last 4 hours. Interesting stuff, especially the right knee action on the downswing.

If you've been reviewing his videos, it's not an easy move to watch because he exaggerates it so much. But it's a simple opening of the legs. They go "external" and then before P6, he pushes off to the lead foot. I love the leg separation ala Hogan/Snead, and it's possible that I need to minimize the exaggeration.

In fact, I may be doing the squat without knowing it - BUT I can't delay the weight transfer. I'm not that quick or athletic. Yes, the pressure is in my trail foot and then I push to the big lead toe and then lead heel. But I don't drop that range basket between my legs every time, so I don't go external all the time. Yes, I've got a range basket that drops at the start of the downswing (what GG wants). When it doesn't drop, I hurt my hands hitting the darn basket on the downswing. Ouch. That's about all the comedy I can muster. And what he says makes a lot of sense - golf is a game of opposites, so he teaches a more upright, butt in position at address with a rounded back. And that allows you to squat (no, not like Tiger) on the downswing without an early extension.

He has a lot of excellent other instruction on the site - the "famous" squat move, as he calls it, is only one section. He helps with setup, going back steeper, position at the top, how to shallow the club, how to maintain width and NOT pull down the club with the arms, impact, finish the swing, etc. - some of those are fairly traditional, some will be new to most, and all are well done. Worth the $$, imho.

And he does it all with a cocky, yet amusing attitude with showmanship.

Last edited:
Yeah the setup and backswing feels good and is pretty close to what I do now. Currently my squat is much more upper body with my butt moving horizontal instead of vertical with steep hands pulling the club with internal right knee rotation and driving forward and if my timing is off on my hip bump I chunk everything. Thanks for the info might have to look into it. Give me something to work on for winter.

Update: After purchasing many of his online lessons.

Gankas is an interesting guy - appeals to the younger set with his bohemian, irreverent style. I've heard comments from other instructors who think he's a dick. I think he's cocky as heck. :) He emphasizes that golf is a game of opposites - stand up more in the backswing leads to a better squat in downswing, flying elbow can lead to shallowing the club without thinking in the downswing, leave your arms up at the top and rotate, use the ground more.

I like the emphasis on rotation and I, with the help of my instructor, have gotten me open at impact and I use the jump off the front foot. I don't buy the emphasis on the heavy squat as much. In an actual swing, it appears less - and it's quick. What I found is that if you leave too much weight in the back foot on the downswing as he describes, it's too much. What he doesn't want you to do is lead with that front hip so it slides upwards giving you too much right lean. Just rotate. Interesting, but like all patterns you need to incorporate what works for you.

Last edited:
There's a bit of scandal surrounding the GGSWINGTIPS website...George came out and says that he's no longer affiliated with them and that he only provided them with content, and that now he'll be coming out with his own site. There was an attempt by whoever runs the original site to make a last minute money grab by offering lifetime access for one time purchase. So basically the online lessons and Facebook group that all bare his name are NOT him...

That's one way to absolutely trash your own brand. Fortunately for him he has a loyal following who'll dish out whatever ridiculous amount he charges for his next venture.

Interesting! Yeah, I think he’s the best out there, but luckily haven’t spent any money for his content. I’d still consider it in the future but this info would definitely make me look into it deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the latest information I found from George Gankas at https://georgegankas.golf/. This is in line with his Instagram Account that he has disassociated himself with the ggswingtipsgolf.com site and creating a new member site soon.

Kind of a bummer since I love his content (youtube) and was just getting ready to become a member of the .com site. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.

Here is the latest information I found from George Gankas at https://georgegankas.golf/. This is in line with his Instagram Account that he has disassociated himself with the ggswingtipsgolf.com site and creating a new member site soon.

Kind of a bummer since I love his content (youtube) and was just getting ready to become a member of the .com site. Guess I'll wait and see what happens.
From what I've read elsewhere he was simply paid a royalty from the site to use his name. He never provided the instruction or feedback. Use that info fwiw. Perhaps he'll be more involved with the new site.

Yes, I responded to his Open Letter, saying I feel scammed, having purchased a library of lessons, and this hurts him personally and his brand. The way the site and content were presented, you would have thought ggswingtips was his site.

Back