Getting a significant other more involved in the game

My wife is a great golfer, she's just not that excited about it. I try to make it more about spending time and less about the golf -- And for those who I've talked about with females who aren't excited about the game, the driving range seems to be a really really positive place to start... preferrably one with booths where you're isolated.

Also, Top Golf. If it's an option, DO IT.

My wife is a great golfer, she's just not that excited about it. I try to make it more about spending time and less about the golf -- And for those who I've talked about with females who aren't excited about the game, the driving range seems to be a really really positive place to start... preferrably one with booths where you're isolated.

Also, Top Golf. If it's an option, DO IT.

I gotta echo this buddy. Amanda likes spending time with me on the course or at the range because she knows I enjoy it a lot. Sharing golf with her I mean. I have zero complaints about her game as well. She doesn't think she's good at all but having seen other women beginners play she's got game. Usually when we play it's more just having fun. Most times we'll play a "scramble" if she doesn't hit a good drive so that way we don't slow things down and she doesn't get frustrated. I would kill for a Top Golf around me. I'd probably just quit real golf.

I gotta echo this buddy. Amanda likes spending time with me on the course or at the range because she knows I enjoy it a lot. Sharing golf with her I mean. I have zero complaints about her game as well. She doesn't think she's good at all but having seen other women beginners play she's got game. Usually when we play it's more just having fun. Most times we'll play a "scramble" if she doesn't hit a good drive so that way we don't slow things down and she doesn't get frustrated. I would kill for a Top Golf around me. I'd probably just quit real golf.

I don't think you would.

That said, I need Laura to keep her game alive... My plan is to have my entire family giving AMart strokes in matchplay by 2025 hahaha

My wife hates to golf but loves to caddy and take pictures. She'll just go with me to ride in the cart and clean my clubs. Yes, she enjoys carrying the towel and extra club(s) around.

She'll also putt on the practice green with me if we go to the range.

Luckily my wife hates golf. We have very different hobbies. I always joked around how I could never date a golfer. She would beat me, rub it in and then I would resent her for it. I kid of course.

Luckily my wife hates golf. We have very different hobbies. I always joked around how I could never date a golfer. She would beat me, rub it in and then I would resent her for it. I kid of course.

Mine too; she has zero interest. If she did we'd start at a local par 3 course that calls itself "The Learning Center." Everyone who plays that course understands that there's no hurry as it's meant as a facility for beginners.

My wife will go to the driving range and hit balls for a bit...but her perfectionist self won't do much more than that.

I will say that she's been a bit more willing to go to the range and even ride along on the course since we attended the THP Love Is In The Air event back in 2014.
She had a fantastic time and enjoyed the time out on the course.

Started her the driving range, then an executive course and on to the main course. Took about 1.5 years but now she loves playing. Unfortunately, she tore a liament in her left wrist and hasn't played in over a year. 2016 should be better!

I tried getting my wife to play but she has bad arthritis in her hands.. She does enjoy going with me, cleaning my clubs raking traps. holding the pin. She takes it very seriously. Once leaving a US Open we were on a bus filled with caddies on our way to the parking lot (there was a rain out) and my wife asked Camilo Villegas caddy if he had any tips she could use.. They gave us such a look.. Funny as hell.. But they were all great.. Lots of gossip. I talked to fanny sunnerson the whole trip back.. Highlight of the open for me..

So one of the reasons I picked up another Callaway driver head tonight was to have the GF use the GBB when we golf together. Trying to get her more involved and equipment that will help instead of hinder is a big step. She's using crappy $100 box sets right now and I've tried them and they make everything worse for me, so I can only imagine how they are for her. Hoping to take some small baby steps in getting a decent bag for her set up so it hopefully makes her want to learn and play more. I already have some old but decent wedges for her, so next big step is irons.

Just got my wife signed up for lessons this spring.

Just got my wife signed up for lessons this spring.
That was one of the best things I did. If nothing else, every time she got frustrated on the course and started to ask me what she was doing wrong I could legitimately say "I am not an instructor, I don't want to mess up what your pro is teaching you, you should ask him." That alone made it worth every penny.

My GF did the "Get Golf Ready" thing at a local course last year.....it was $99 bucks and included a cpuple of group clinics and 3 individual lessons, something I would definatley reccomend

That was one of the best things I did. If nothing else, every time she got frustrated on the course and started to ask me what she was doing wrong I could legitimately say "I am not an instructor, I don't want to mess up what your pro is teaching you, you should ask him." That alone made it worth every penny.

Frank is wise.

Trying to get my wife a little more practice on the range she used to play back in the day. Well I say play, but she took a class in college and would play with me and employ the method used above by teqila4kapp and pick up a play where I was at. here's just a video of us on the range today

https://vimeo.com/160473646

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife hates it and will only watch on TV to take a nap and I am fine with that, we only need one club nut in the house.

I have brought my wife to the range but she has not reached a point where she can play.

However, I have brought my 5 year old son to play several times, and one thing I learned about playing with a loved one, at the start, I need to give up my golf on that day for him.

I didn't regret it, and it was great fun, but I couldn't do 18 holes by myself. It was all sorts of things. He would ram all putts by, sometimes 5 or 6 putting. He would run to the ball after hitting instead of walking to the ball. Sometimes he would be more interested in driving the golf cart than play. And he would quit when he felt like it, whatever hole it was. All great fun, but no golf for me.

If you're prepared to do that, then be a dear and baby sit her through 18 holes. But i do doubt you'll be able to play yourself while you're doing that.

Back