Going to Trump Doral - Advice?

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
So my wife is pretty awesome and she got me a 2 day stay and play at Trump Doral at the end of January as a Christmas present. I’m flying in January 18th in the morning, playing red tiger at 110pm. And working to figure out plans for Saturday before flying out at 745pm. My uncle is joining me for the trip. Im thinking 36 on Saturday and the blue monster sounded ideal until I saw it’s $450. Uh no. But if there’s a better way...is there a replay rate if I were to play like silver course in the morning? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks everyone in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Send a quick note to THPer Canes. He used to (still might) live right there and can offer assistance.

Let me know what info you are looking for. Shoot me a PM. I live 15min away from there

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I know there's a twilight rate of $250 right now after 1:00 or so (you can see what's available on teeoff.com). If I recall, there was a mandatory forecaddie two years ago... Not sure if it's still the case, but that adds to the cost as well. It's a tough, but really good course - water is everywhere (seems like it lined both sides of the hole nearly the entire rounder... Some visible, some not), so bring lots of balls!

I know there's a twilight rate of $250 right now after 1:00 or so (you can see what's available on teeoff.com). If I recall, there was a mandatory forecaddie two years ago... Not sure if it's still the case, but that adds to the cost as well. It's a tough, but really good course - water is everywhere (seems like it lined both sides of the hole nearly the entire rounder... Some visible, some not), so bring lots of balls!

I believe I read somewhere that caddies are required before twilight but not after. But $250 sounds way more reasonable. Thanks for the info.

So my wife is pretty awesome and she got me a 2 day stay and play at Trump Doral at the end of January as a Christmas present. I’m flying in January 18th in the morning, paying red tiger at 110pm. And working to figure out plans for Saturday before flying out at 745pm. My uncle is joining me for the trip. Im thinking 36 on Saturday and the blue monster sounded ideal until I saw it’s $450. Uh no. But if there’s a better way...is there a replay rate if I were to play like silver course in the morning? Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks everyone in advance!

Hey bud got your PM this morning.

I would play the Golden Palm Saturday morning then play the Blue monster after 1pm for $230. That rate is definitely worth it.

Hey bud got your PM this morning.

I would play the Golden Palm Saturday morning then play the Blue monster after 1pm for $230. That rate is definitely worth it.

Good to know. I was debating between the golden palm and silver course but I’ll heed your advice and go with palm. I think it’s the less expensive of the 2 anyways.

I have played each of the Doral courses approx 20 times over the years. Here are my thoughts. Blue is tough....and it has the history of being the course where all the PG TOUR events took place (Doral Ryder Open). But unless you are 10 handicap or better, you won't enjoy it, and $450 is steep. Silver is an old private club off-property that Doral acquired. It is narrow and tree lined. You have to take a hotel shuttle to get there. Not worth the trip. The White course was designed by Greg Norman and it is fun. Lots of coquina shelled waste areas where you will tear up your clubs hitting out of them. If you're like me, I'm not a pro and don't get free equipment. So normally I would drop out of these areas to the nearest piece of grass. Fun course. Red and Gold are both fun and friendly to the higher handicapper. You can't go wrong with either of these courses. My preference is for the Gold. The rooms on the spa side of the hotel are a bit nicer, bigger and more secluded. I would stay on that side if you can. Jim McLean's golf school is on the opposite side of the driving range. Worth a visit, or possible lesson. Have fun.

UPDATE. Just visited the site. Looks like white is no longer a part of the property. And Jim McLean has been replaced by Rick Smith,

I have played each of the Doral courses approx 20 times over the years. Here are my thoughts.

Awesome stuff here. Thanks for taking the time. I think I’m leaning towards playing the gold or silver course Saturday morning and just paying the $200 something twilight rate in the afternoon. Hard to go there and not play the PGA tour course but I agree that $450 just isn’t worth it.

After hearing about the white course, I kinda wish that was available! Ha

I have some advise, don’t bother. Not worth the money IMHO. I went this past Jan and it wasn’t even worth half the price we paid.

I have played each of the Doral courses approx 20 times over the years. Here are my thoughts. Blue is tough....and it has the history of being the course where all the PG TOUR events took place (Doral Ryder Open). But unless you are 10 handicap or better, you won't enjoy it, and $450 is steep. Silver is an old private club off-property that Doral acquired. It is narrow and tree lined. You have to take a hotel shuttle to get there. Not worth the trip. The White course was designed by Greg Norman and it is fun. Lots of coquina shelled waste areas where you will tear up your clubs hitting out of them. If you're like me, I'm not a pro and don't get free equipment. So normally I would drop out of these areas to the nearest piece of grass. Fun course. Red and Gold are both fun and friendly to the higher handicapper. You can't go wrong with either of these courses. My preference is for the Gold. The rooms on the spa side of the hotel are a bit nicer, bigger and more secluded. I would stay on that side if you can. Jim McLean's golf school is on the opposite side of the driving range. Worth a visit, or possible lesson. Have fun.

UPDATE. Just visited the site. Looks like white is no longer a part of the property. And Jim McLean has been replaced by Rick Smith,

The silver course is off site but they bridged the connection. In other words you grab a golf cart at the main clubhouse and take the golf cart trail access over to the Silver course. No need to go offside or be shuttled anywhere. They rearranged the starting hole so that when you arrive with the golf cart you start right on #1

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have some advise, don’t bother. Not worth the money IMHO. I went this past Jan and it wasn’t even worth half the price we paid.
My best friend says pretty much the same thing, believe he characterized it as underwhelmelming.

Well I hate to hear this. What courses did you play? What made them so terrible?

Well I hate to hear this. What courses did you play? What made them so terrible?

I guess my expectations were crushing, along with the price. $450 for a round of golf is pretty insane, so I incorrectly assumed the course would be in great condition. It wasn’t. The course itself was also nothing to write home about, again, also in light of the price tag. There are very few courses I would shell out that kinda cash for. Whistling Straights....yes! Doral...never again. It was def a once and done for me.

I feel the same as Dnice, almost word for word. Unless you just want to say you played it, play two more rounds somewhere else.
The whole place was just disappointing to me and priced to rape the South America Tourist (or any tourist for that matter)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

if I was going there, Id play the Blue Monster just to say I played it....otherwise I wouldnt even bother going as there are plenty of other resort options around (obviously too late in your situation).

Could certainly just be me, but without the grandstands etc. The course just seemed so normal, just like Bay Hill was.
I was kind of disappointed in not being completely blown away by either course just as a golf course.
I enjoyed Copperhead more even if Kev had made it so cold...

d0e3d8ef34c684ad36921b0362c4b4f1.jpg

Wheels up from Atlanta. 11:50am tee time at Trump Doral Red Tiger Course. Pretty stoked!

Could certainly just be me, but without the grandstands etc. The course just seemed so normal, just like Bay Hill was.
I was kind of disappointed in not being completely blown away by either course just as a golf course.
I enjoyed Copperhead more even if Kev had made it so cold...

We will not speak of the demon that is copperhead!!! :angry:

Have fun Zach!

Well, you chose the right airline. Have fun.

Pretty fantastic morning playing the golden palm course. Greens were perfect. Loved the layout.

The replay rate to play the blue monster was $150 (the guys said that’s not normal though and he basically gave me a deal) so I said yes please and going back out in about 30 minutes. Pretty stoked right now.

e4dfdbb2b2dc270f67035540c9362eb1.jpg

26b1d9754195c7000cc4231707c96ea5.jpg

Pretty fantastic morning playing the golden palm course. Greens were perfect. Loved the layout.

The replay rate to play the blue monster was $150 (the guys said that’s not normal though and he basically gave me a deal) so I said yes please and going back out in about 30 minutes. Pretty stoked right now.

That’s great - Enjoy and play well!

Hey Zach,

Overall how would you rate your experience of both Golden Palm course and Blue Monster? I’m heading down in April and would love to hear what you thought given all the other opinions going in. Thanks!

Hey Zach,

Overall how would you rate your experience of both Golden Palm course and Blue Monster? I’m heading down in April and would love to hear what you thought given all the other opinions going in. Thanks!

A few things to consider. Conditions will likely be different in April than when I went in January so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Overall, I loved my experience. Some feedback in this thread wasn’t as great but I really enjoyed the whole experience.

If you’re staying on property, you won’t be disappointed. It’s freaking beautiful. Say what you want about trump, but his golf properties are nothing but first class. With that said, you pay for it. Nothing is cheap here. Keep in mind that the blue monster is a former PGA stop and you’re paying for that, not necessarily pristine golf conditions. (Although conditions were still really good)

We played 3 courses while there. Red tiger, golden palm and blue monster. Golden Palm had the best greens and also the most playable layout. Red tiger and blue monster were both the more difficult courses and also had a sandy top dressing on their greens. But it didn’t really affect our play and they still rolled quick and true.

If I were only playing two courses, I definitely would stick with what you got and play golden palm and blue monster. I would advise getting an afternoon rate or possibly getting a replay rate on the blue monster since I think the $400 rate was way overpriced.

Carve out some time to visit the pro shop and the “blue monster shop.” They’re both massive and have some cool stuff to at least check out.

Food is solid but the breakfast buffet was one meal that really stood out. You can sit outside on the porch and over look the blue monster/putting green while you eat a VERY good buffet.

Hopefully that covered most of it. Any specific questions that I missed, let me know and I’ll try to answer them for ya!

Back