• Public Course-

Votes: 40 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
Im noticing down here in Cincy quite a few Public Courses I used to play are now offering some sort of membership to entice play.

The Poll wouldnt allow all of the details I have below, so take a look for the breakdown.

For those of you that have a Club Membership, which category would it fall in to:

1. Private-Course is only open to members and guests.

2. Semi-Private-Course is Open to Members/guests, but also has select tee times (small amount) available.

3. Public Course-Open to the Public, but there are benefits to being a member (preferred tee time, discounted rates, etc)

Also open for discussion, if you see anything not on this list, or have some experiences to share

Last edited:
Im noticing down here in Cincy quite a few Public Courses I used to play are now offering some sort of membership to entice play.

The Poll wouldnt allow all of the details I have below, so take a look for the breakdown.

For those of you that have a Club Membership, which category would it fall in to:

2. Semi-Private-Course is Open to Members/guests, but also has select tee times (small amount) available.

3. Public Course-Open to the Public, but there are benefits to being a member (preferred tee time, discounted rates, etc)

Also open for discussion, if you see anything not on this list, or have some experiences to share

I have a private club membership.

Public course here. Preferred early weekend tee times and discounted rates are very awesome, including range benefits.

Public here. Private costs too much for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have one this year. But I have done option 2 and 3 from your list in the last 8 years or so. Last year was the first year I was so disgusted with how things were run and course conditions that I failed to get my money's worth.

Public Course membership for me. $1,200 includes all of the golf, cart fees, and range balls for the season

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Private for me. The public courses in my area are overpriced and not that great.

Public here. We get 8 day advance & standing tee times, 30 range buckets, six 18 hole guest passes, and 5 free drinks. Then along with league we get additional free range time, more drinks, and a couple of free cart fees. There are also a few tournaments / outings / parties that are only open to pass holders as well.

My league membership at another course gets me about 25% greens & cart fees, 15% off all food and $1 off each drink.

We're strongly considering a private membership, but we're waiting to see which side of town we wind up on first.

Public course. Only two choices where I live with the other one being a much, much more expensive private course. And my understanding from several sources is that the course is really no better than the public course I play. I am in it only for the golf and am not really concerned about the other amenities.

#3 for me. The course is definitely above average for public. I bought a season pass for 2018 which includes 18 plus 9 hole wedge course, range, and pro shop credit. Carts are discounted but I typically walk.

Private for me.

We have a lot of public courses in the area and a few that are pretty fun to play. Conditions are a coin toss though and you never know what your going to get with the crowd.

Its worth the cost to me for the conditions, facilities, and not have to worry about a traffic jams on nicer days.

Club memberships are something Ive always wanted. Probably private so that getting on and playing a quick 9 or 18 isnt an issue. the cost isnt right just yet to justify it, but there is a country club near me that I have been eyeing for years

Club memberships are something Ive always wanted. Probably private so that getting on and playing a quick 9 or 18 isnt an issue. the cost isnt right just yet to justify it, but there is a country club near me that I have been eyeing for years

which one?

which one?

Elyria CC. 15 minutes from the house, big pool for the kids and access to Columbia Hills and Medina CC help. They have been running a promotional rate for under 34 years old where its under $200/month with no mandatory food or pro shop spend.

Elyria CC. 15 minutes from the house, big pool for the kids and access to Columbia Hills and Medina CC help. They have been running a promotional rate for under 34 years old where its under $200/month with no mandatory food or pro shop spend.

......that's not too bad

thats a real solid price

I have a private club membership that is used for golf, family stuff and entertaining/work. I also buy 10 packs of rounds to a public course that we live next to for convenience of location & a more laid back atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......that's not too bad

Its not. But the wife wants to vacation/camp more than spend the summer at a pool with "rich folk". I get her stance, but with both boys really starting to take a strong interest in playing, it might be our best bet just for the practice facilities

Public here, both of them. Its what we have locally.

Semi-Private-Course - cost is pretty good with different plan options. The plan I have is weekends & Holidays anytime, weekdays (after 1 PM). Unlimited golf plus unlimited range for about $1K USD/year. Golf is really cheap in my neck of the woods.

I’m Semi-Private. Not a full meme we, but it’s $75 a month, unlimited range balls and 1/2 off tee times.

also dont forget to vote if u can

My course is now listed as a public course. It's a small (9 hole) course in SW Minnesota, at a town of a little over 2000 people. Being a small town course, money for upkeep is at a premium. Our course used to be a semi-private course but changed to public maybe 10-15 years ago when we found that we could qualify for some grants to help "rip-rap" some of the creek shoreline that was eroding away every time the water reached a higher mark. The creek in question meanders through the course so much that of the 9 holes, all but one of the holes either cross water, play beside water or both. There are also numerous hills on the course and it's not uncommon to find your tee box being 20-40 feet above the fairway or the green. One par five finds the tee box about 35 feet above the fairway and the green back at about the same elevation as the tee box. The yearly dues vary but I pay $865 which is a couples membership (my wife and I). She doesn't play but if you are married you must buy a couples membership. If we still had kids at home, that were still in school, we would be required to buy a family membership (which costs a little more). My membership includes use of my own golf cart on the course and storage of that cart at the course, in one of 5 sheds owned by the course. I also includes the cost of the electricity for my electric cart and the cost of my handicap card.

I live on a golf course, so membership to the "club" is automatic, and we have access to 5 different courses (including Stonehenge). It's a bit different here - you still have to pay for a round, but it's pretty darn cheap even compared to public. There is a "preferred member" category, and they get WAY better rates.

I don't have one this year. But I have done option 2 and 3 from your list in the last 8 years or so. Last year was the first year I was so disgusted with how things were run and course conditions that I failed to get my money's worth.

And you're in NY? With the rain we got last summer, it really says something if course conditions were poor. Even the "town-public muni courses" were playing mint.

Back