golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/Golf-Etiquette-101/

We should all take the time to read these and adhere to them ALL!

My favorite is "when on the green, do not stand in the line or cast a shadow over the line." I play with too many people who do not pay enough attention to what is going on around them when they are on the green. Kind of reminds me of how some people drive their cars ..... with blinders on.

What is your favorite? And does your foursome have "Golf Etiquette?"

Ball marks are my pet peave, and 4/10 people repair them properly, or at all. I'm amazed to see all the ones people just leave there. I myself am proud when I fix my ball mark ,lol.

Ball marks are my pet peave, and 4/10 people repair them properly, or at all. I'm amazed to see all the ones people just leave there. I myself am proud when I fix my ball mark ,lol.

Mine too. I repair at least a few ball marks per green when I'm on a private course and more like 6 or 7 when I'm on a public/resort course. All the guys I play with have great etiquette - I will let them know on the rare occasion when one of them forgets about his shadow or some other small breach.

I would agree with this one! I follow the private club rule; fix yours and two others. I try to fix as many as time allows. I NEVER see signs in pro shops informing people that they need to do this. I think most people are so concerned with parking the cart, finding their ball, and figuring out what club (s) they need to grab that they totally forget about the ball mark. It is frustrating to see.

Mine too. I repair at least a few ball marks per green when I'm on a private course and more like 6 or 7 when I'm on a public/resort course. All the guys I play with have great etiquette - I will let them know on the rare occasion when one of them forgets about his shadow or some other small breach.

The ballmark is always a problem. Like Shifty said, I'm proud to fix my marks only as a way of saying "look what I did!"

Another one is yelling "fore". At the local muni, nobody seems to follow any of these. If that course wasn't $9 for 9 holes, I wouldn't play it.

My gripes are when players in front leave their bags on the wrong side of the greens and then have to go back to them, also standing on the green after everyone has holed out marking their card or counting the shots they just made, both these contribute to slow play and wind me up, GRrrrr

As a new golfer, I try my best to be as courteous and conscientious of a golfer as I can be. I would also hope that if I am lax on a particular point, that someone would kindly remind me, rather than simply accuse me of being a cretin who should never lift a club.

The people I play with always practice proper etiquette. Wish I could say the same for the masses that play at the public course I am a member at.... Fix ball marks on green - not in my line so not worried about it, rake sand traps - too much trouble, be courteous of people playing holes adjacent to the ones they are on - not a chance as they think they are the only ones on the course and can talk as loud as they want, etc., etc.......

My gripes are when players in front leave their bags on the wrong side of the greens and then have to go back to them, also standing on the green after everyone has holed out marking their card or counting the shots they just made, both these contribute to slow play and wind me up, GRrrrr

This drives me crazy. Players who do not use common sense with this issue are ignorant of the effect on speed of play. If you were to hit your shot in spite of them, they would be "teed off" at your lack of consideration. I, however, consider it a warning shot.

I played on Monday and the guy that was paired up with us went on a rant about how to fix a ball mark on the greens. It was a WOW moment, my buddy and I are big on fixing ball marks and always look for them and fix them to improve the green. I do realize that he thought he was being helpful but man he just came off as a holier-than-tho know it all. At least he could have waited until we got to the 1st green to see if we were doing the right thing.
As a new golfer, I try my best to be as courteous and conscientious of a golfer as I can be. I would also hope that if I am lax on a particular point, that someone would kindly remind me, rather than simply accuse me of being a cretin who should never lift a club.

I played on Monday and the guy that was paired up with us went on a rant about how to fix a ball mark on the greens. It was a WOW moment, my buddy and I are big on fixing ball marks and always look for them and fix them to improve the green. I do realize that he thought he was being helpful but man he just came off as a holier-than-tho know it all. At least he could have waited until we got to the 1st green to see if we were doing the right thing.

You sure are having some bad luck with people telling you about how to fix a ball mark. You posted in the other thread last week about it too. You should print out the instructions on how to properly fix a ball mark and just hand it to people who try to tell you how to fix it. Should keep them quiet.

I always fix ball marks BUT if some starter wants me to walk to a green to show me how to do it he'd be alone and talking to himself. Also I don't need to be schooled on mark fixing by some stranger I've been paired with!

540_293_resize_20130801_1bff1a29267372616616f34885e7c4ca_jpg.jpg

That video reminds me of an airline safety video...
It really is simple, and sad that so many just ignore ball marks or fix them via the "pry up" method. once I finally started making ball marks I was happy to ask how to fix them properly!

Lessons from our fathers. I am very aware of etiquette, but my playing partners, not so much. About the only time they do it, is when they shouldn't (stopping to watch a guy putt while their ball is 100 feet away on the other side of the green). Pay attention to putt lines, shadows, etc… not so much.

I am a left handed person living in a right handed world. A scenario for which I am acustomed and can accomodate. While I would not call it a breach of etiquette, it appears that sometimes right handed players are not aware that they may be standing where a lefty can be peripherally distracted. This can happen on a tee, the players are standing to accomodate a right handed player and, unknowingly, remain there when a lefty takes the tee.

I am a left handed person living in a right handed world. A scenario for which I am acustomed and can accomodate. While I would not call it a breach of etiquette, it appears that sometimes right handed players are not aware that they may be standing where a lefty can be peripherally distracted. This can happen on a tee, the players are standing to accomodate a right handed player and, unknowingly, remain there when a lefty takes the tee.

Yeah for sure. I am also a lefty. This is why if we are driving a cart I demand to drive. If I don't drive there will be no less than 5 times in a round where I have to remind the cart driver to move to the other side. I don't know why they pull up to the ball anyway. I park 15 yards behind the ball, makes handedness moot.

That also comes down to my point about being on the greens .... people do not pay enough attention to what is going on! When I play, I am attentive to everything and everyone ... courteous. I liken it to when people drive their cars .... with blinders on ... aware of nothing around them and care only about themselves. Pay attention to what is going on in your group from the first tee to the last green! That's all I ask

That also comes down to my point about being on the greens .... people do not pay enough attention to what is going on! When I play, I am attentive to everything and everyone ... courteous. I liken it to when people drive their cars .... with blinders on ... aware of nothing around them and care only about themselves. Pay attention to what is going on in your group from the first tee to the last green! That's all I ask

While I certainly understand your point and agree, I don't think the lefty scenario is because people only care about themselves. I think they just don't realize. It's just one of those lefty things in a right handed world. Sometimes, lefties are the "red headed step children" in the golf world. The manufacturers do not offer that same lofts and other components in their equipment. Mizuno does not even make lefty clubs in some of its models. When I contacted them, they were apologetic but stated the demand did not warrant the cost.

Last edited:
Anything that addresses pace of play is a favorite of mine!!

http://www.usga.org/etiquette/tips/Golf-Etiquette-101/
What is your favorite? And does your foursome have "Golf Etiquette?"
These should be printed up and given to every person playing a round by the starter at all golf courses.

my favorite is "It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group."

The whole lost ball thing is imo is somewhat ridiculous on both parts. What I mean is the suggested etiquette guidelines and also the persons looking.

In the first place 5 minutes imo is simply too long. That is a long time. Just wait around and watch a clock for 5 minutes and you'll see. But anyway If a 4some is suppose to take about 12 to 14 minutes to play a whole then about 1/3 of that time looking for a ball simply doesn't fit the equation. That is just way too long and will cause a back up on a crowded course no matter what. In fact if the usga is to advocate good pace etiquette then I feel it is almost contradicting for them to also suggest such a maximum allowance. It simply works against its own logic.

It is also suggested to allow a play through if such a search is anticipated. Even if one did anticipate (which is almost impossible) and allowed a play through it will now hold up the next group in line anyway as your group now waits for the play through.

The whole idea is just ridiculous and doesn't work. Bottom line is that no matter what 5 minutes is too long. if pace is already slow and/or there is no where to go then so be it and look as long as you want just like when one is struggling and taking too many strokes. As long as your keeping up or if pace is already slow and your waiting anyway then no harm done. But if pace is good and your not waiting then searching for 5 minutes no matter what will imo now certainly be the cause of a back up.

A couple minutes is quite long enough imo. All those in the same general area and/or on the way to their ball help each other look for a couple minutes and if the ball is visible enough it will most likely be found. From 20 plus years experience if its not found in a couple minutes with more than one set of eyes its not usually found even in 5 minutes. If not found in a couple minutes and you are clear to hit then take your drop and move on and follow whatever you think is honest and fair for the score. Of course that in itself can cause a whole other debate but if one is honest enough with themselves it should suffice and especially for casual rounds doesn't matter mush anyway but again is another topic.

Anything regarding pace of play can be a pet peeve of mine - outside of a green with several ball marks, I also hate it when you go to insert your tee into a tee box and it feels like cement. Or an uneven tee box…horrid.

The whole lost ball thing is imo is somewhat ridiculous on both parts. What I mean is the suggested etiquette guidelines and also the persons looking.

In the first place 5 minutes imo is simply too long. That is a long time. Just wait around and watch a clock for 5 minutes and you'll see. But anyway If a 4some is suppose to take about 12 to 14 minutes to play a whole then about 1/3 of that time looking for a ball simply doesn't fit the equation. That is just way too long and will cause a back up on a crowded course no matter what. In fact if the usga is to advocate good pace etiquette then I feel it is almost contradicting for them to also suggest such a maximum allowance. It simply works against its own logic.

It is also suggested to allow a play through if such a search is anticipated. Even if one did anticipate (which is almost impossible) and allowed a play through it will now hold up the next group in line anyway as your group now waits for the play through.

The whole idea is just ridiculous and doesn't work. Bottom line is that no matter what 5 minutes is too long. if pace is already slow and/or there is no where to go then so be it and look as long as you want just like when one is struggling and taking too many strokes. As long as your keeping up or if pace is already slow and your waiting anyway then no harm done. But if pace is good and your not waiting then searching for 5 minutes no matter what will imo now certainly be the cause of a back up.

A couple minutes is quite long enough imo. All those in the same general area and/or on the way to their ball help each other look for a couple minutes and if the ball is visible enough it will most likely be found. From 20 plus years experience if its not found in a couple minutes with more than one set of eyes its not usually found even in 5 minutes. If not found in a couple minutes and you are clear to hit then take your drop and move on and follow whatever you think is honest and fair for the score. Of course that in itself can cause a whole other debate but if one is honest enough with themselves it should suffice and especially for casual rounds doesn't matter mush anyway but again is another topic.

I am 100% with you on this. In my opinion, this is why the rule of stroke + distance should be changed to simply the stroke and a drop for non-competitive play. For one thing, if all golfers were honest, this is what the _vast_ majority of golfers already do anyway. Granted the gang here at THP is more golf-addicted, and most likely more likely to follow every rule closely, but I'm referring to the general public.

Second, the fact is that the score is arbitrary, and as long as everyone does it the same way it's fair. There is no magical , immutable reason to have it the way it is. If the original founding fathers of golf had decreed that if you hole a shot from off the green you do not count that shot, and take your score as such, and this thread were a proposal to change it so that every stroke is counted the same (as it is now obviously) we'd all be in an uproar.

It's a silly, outdated rule that a very small minority of non-competitive golfers follow already. I just came back to playing a little over a year ago, but I've probably played with 40 different people or so, and I've played with exactly one person who follows the stroke-and-distance rule, and that was Wadesworld. If we're so worried about pace of play and etiquette, why not change the rule so that a) people are actually following the rule more closely by playing the way they all already play anyway and b) people are encouraged to do the right thing re: pace of play because they're within the rules to drop and continue.

I realize that this is golf sacrilege, but I'm just being honest and realistic.

Lessons from our fathers. I am very aware of etiquette, but my playing partners, not so much. About the only time they do it, is when they shouldn't (stopping to watch a guy putt while their ball is 100 feet away on the other side of the green). Pay attention to putt lines, shadows, etc… not so much.

I always stay out of folks' lines and make sure that my shadow doesn't cross the putting line either...just makes sense.

However, I read the etiquette material carefully, and it doesn't say anything about my T-Rex-jaws-around-the-cup move. Gets 'em every time :D

Golf Etiquette

A lost ball cannot simply be drop with a one stroke penalty. If it changes to that, there is no value to a provisional and that rule should be dropped.

You lose a ball, take a provisional and hit it out to the fairway next to where you lost your ball. You are sitting 3.

Just drop for a lost ball in that same location and you are only sitting 2...

Lost ball is stroke plus hit again - distance.

How many people take a 2 stroke penalty if the lose a ball and take a drop to speed up play?

Back