Golf Green/Yardage Books: Do you use them?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a couple of yardage books for my home course and while I don't use the Yardage section much, I do like the Green sections on the book.

There are a few companies that print these, and they also have apps that you can use on your phone, but I find it difficult to read with such a small screen.

Green Book.jpg

What do you think of Green/Yardage Books? Do you use them and do you find them helpful in reading the Greens?

I have thought about getting a Golflogix book for my home course but I haven’t convinced myself the $40 is worth it yet.

Do you think it’s worthwhile for a course you play all the time and already have a feel for the greens?

Never have. But i have considered those a few times. Even very recently.

I have thought about getting a Golflogix book for my home course but I haven’t convinced myself the $40 is worth it yet.

Do you think it’s worthwhile for a course you play all the time and already have a feel for the greens?

I do think these to be worth the cost, especially for the courses you play often. I may be in the minority, but damn if I know how each green actually rolls. Looking at the book helps keep me in check when my head thinks doesn't it roll that way.

Nope...never have...never will. I trust my eyes and my feet....not a book.

Nope...never have...never will. I trust my eyes and my feet....not a book.
I hear you there. I wish I had better eyes ;)

I like them. I lost my collection of them somehow in the crazy covid move last year, and that still tweaks me, but as someone who really scouts courses I like being off device for that sometimes. And I much prefer the ease of note-making on an actual course book. I kind of put in go, no-go zones as reminders, notes when things tend to play longer/shorter than they are, deceiving wind/break trends, .. all kinds of stuff like that. I use theGrint and GolfLogix, but I find value in the books.

I may grab a yardage book for a course I've never played or a resort course, but generally speaking I lean on my GPS watch for most things.

I've never used, nor seen in a casual round, a green reading book. Hope the tour doesn't make these popular with amateurs as the last thing we need is one more thing slowing people down on the greens. The looks from all angles to miss short by 6 feet is slow enough already.

I bought one for our home course when they went on sale for 30.00. It's a bit of fun with my group when we hit a green that sometimes gives us trouble, but I'm not sure they're worth the money. I agree, I can't see the green reads well enough on my small iPhone or golf buddy watch, so if you have the "book", you are able to see breaks a bit better.

Have used a couple of them, and I love them. They should be used as a supplement, not a crutch. Easier said than done though.

Love my GolfLogix book that I have for my home course. there were always a few greens that I just couldn't figure out and the book helped me with that.

I've never used one.
I've only heard about them in legend.
I've only seen blurry photos of them... ok, not blurry. Yours is pretty clear.

I'm too cheap to spend the money.

i don't think i've ever even seen one. i'd have no idea how to use it.

yardage books I have used. Green reading books, nope. I'm not in favor of them on tour either.

I've looked at yardage books just to get an idea of how a course plays, but never used them out on the course - I use GPS and rangefinder. Never even so much as seen a Greens book in real life.

I've never used them - I have that info on my phone.

I like to green-reading charts though. Those would be interesting and potentially useful sometimes!

Now I want to buy the GolfLogix book for my home course.

I just looked at the Golflogix website. Hmmm a green book or a dozen golf balls.

The book looks cool but I rotate between 4 or 5 courses. If I bought one for one course and liked it then I'd want one for the other courses and that would add up quickly. I could see myself getting one if I was taking a trip to a "bucket list" course or something but not for my regular courses.

I just looked on the app store and apparently at some point I had the GolfLogix app. I don't remember ever using it. Re-installing it now. I now have 9 golf-related apps on my phone :unsure:

I’ve never known a non Tour player to use a greens book!

I like to get a yardage book at every new course I play, although mostly just a souvenir really. They can be useful to see the general hole layout, or any hidden bunkers etc - over in Scotland there are a lot of the links courses that have blind tee shots, or blind second shots etc, so that can be a help to see the rough line needed.

I wouldn't have clue how to interpret the green reading books though, and think for the vast majority of amateurs it would do much more harm than good. Sometimes the round can be slow enough without 4 guys ahead all consulting green books and arguing which way their 3 footer for bogey breaks :LOL:

I just looked at the Golflogix website. Hmmm a green book or a dozen golf balls.

The book looks cool but I rotate between 4 or 5 courses. If I bought one for one course and liked it then I'd want one for the other courses and that would add up quickly. I could see myself getting one if I was taking a trip to a "bucket list" course or something but not for my regular courses.

I just looked on the app store and apparently at some point I had the GolfLogix app. I don't remember ever using it. Re-installing it now. I now have 9 golf-related apps on my phone :unsure:
Disgraceful behaviour , lol would that make it a g spot ? Lol

Nope, never have seen one in person and wouldn’t have a clue how to read one plus I don’t think I am good enough to even gain anything from one. I’ll stick to my blurry, aging eyes 😜.

I've used them in the past, but not so much now. Now days, I just play what I see in front of me. I do know my home course greens pretty well.

I do carry a gps, and lazer gadgets, but use them mostly for my practice routines. Once in a while I will use the lazer when playing.

I use a yardage book on my home course. I really just note which clubs from certain spots.
I would get a green book if one was available.

yardage books I have used. Green reading books, nope. I'm not in favor of them on tour either.

Playing Devil’s advocate, because I slept like garbage and I feel like violence today :)

What’s the difference between a green reading book, and a person making notes in their yardage book? One could just as easily go to a green with a digital level and make their own notes, right? Or if not that fancy, they could just go and make notes of (breaks less than you think, more than you think) etc. So really, what’s the difference?

Back