Golf League Rules

creegs7882

Reaction score
Handicap
I am in a league that has some confusion about using a sub for a regular player. The discussion revolves around whether or not the sub for a certain week can win match points. We use a handicap system. Each match rewards two points for winning a hole and 4 points for winning a match. Question: Is it fair for the sub to win the match points? Should we just do away with those points?
Thanks for all and any input.
Creegs

If the sub can't win any points, then what is the purpose of having subs?

In both of my leagues, subs are not allowed to win points for the missing player. There is also a sub fee (can't remember if it's $10 or $14) that we use to reduce the cost of our year-end outing.

So is the sub just supposed to be fodder for other members of the league to play against?

In both of my leagues, subs are not allowed to win points for the missing player. There is also a sub fee (can't remember if it's $10 or $14) that we use to reduce the cost of our year-end outing.

No offense, but in no way would I want to sub in your league.

Why should I be punished because I helped a brother out? If a player can't make it, why should I have to pay extra just to fill in. Plus, if I have a valid handicap why can't win points?

Golf League Rules

You use handicaps so I see no reason for disallowing substitutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense, but in no way would I want to sub in your league.

Why should I be punished because I helped a brother out? If a player can't make it, why should I have to pay extra just to fill in. Plus, if I have a valid handicap why can't win points?

No offense taken. I don't run either league. Just answering the question.

I'm not sure I understand the point of a sub if they can't win points, but I guess that's why I've never been in a league. Since it is handicapped, a simple adjustment can be made to make up for the difference in handicaps.

I'd say as long as the sub has an established handicap, what's the problem?

As I asked the OP, why bother with subs then? Other than getting extra money. I think if you are taking their money, they should get points. Otherwise, don't allow subs.

Why would anyone want to pay the extra money if no matter how good or bad they do, they affect nothing?

As I asked the OP, why bother with subs then? Other than getting extra money. I think if you are taking their money, they should get points. Otherwise, don't allow subs.
Our leagues aren't that competitive. If you don't show up, your opponent plays the card against his handicap for points.

Subs for us are to fill out the foursome with someone you actually want to play with. So if I know my partner is going to miss on a Thursday night, I shoot a text to another friend and simply ask him if he wants to play 9 after work.

Our leagues aren't that competitive. If you don't show up, your opponent plays the card against his handicap for points.

Subs for us are to fill out the foursome with someone you actually want to play with. So if I know my partner is going to miss on a Thursday night, I shoot a text to another friend and simply ask him if he wants to play 9 after work.

OK, but I still don't get charging the sub extra just to play. Regular league fee, sure, but 10 to 14 bucks extra? Really?

OK, but I still don't get charging the sub extra just to play. Regular league fee, sure, but extra? Really?

In the leagues I have been in, the regular league member pays a flat fee at the start. If he misses a week, there is no reimbursement.

In the leagues I have been in, the regular league member pays a flat fee at the start. If he misses a week, there is no reimbursement.

Then the sub should be able to play on that, since it's already paid for.

At leagues at my course, they pay weekly, for every league, If someone doesn't show, they don't pay for that week. Subs pay whatever the league rate is.

Then the sub should be able to play on that, since it's already paid for.

At leagues at my course, they pay weekly, for every league, If someone doesn't show, they don't pay for that week. Subs pay whatever the league rate is.

Right right. The greens fees are not covered. But we agree, why not let sub win points.

Golf League Rules

OK, but I still don't get charging the sub extra just to play. Regular league fee, sure, but 10 to 14 bucks extra? Really?
The sub pays $10 (or $14) for 9 holes and a cart. Our league dues are paid in full up front, so if we don't show, we don't get any money back.

Are you saying the sub should play for free based on the league player paying for that week up front?

Edit...saw your post above. I've never really thought about it, but I think it works the same in both of my leagues (at different courses).

The sub pays $10 (or $14) for 9 holes and a cart. Our league dues are paid in full up front, so if we don't show, we don't get any money back.

Are you saying the sub should play for free based on the league player paying for that week up front?

Sure why not? The bowling leagues I played on did it that way. If I missed a week, I was on the hook for that night's cost and the sub played for free.

Having the league member pay, and then having a sub pay when the league member who already paid is like double billing! And then their score doesn't mean squat?

I get that is the league rule, and everyone knows. But I don't think it's right!

Sure why not? The bowling leagues I played on did it that way.

Having the league member pay, and then having a sub pay when the league member who already paid is like double billing! And then their score doesn't mean squat?
Same with my bowling league. But subs in my bowling league are "pacers" and their score doesn't count.

The only difference I can come up with is that the bowling league pays on a week to week basis, whereas my golf leagues are paid upfront.

Golf League Rules

I don't see why the sun couldn't win points. Otherwise why do you have a sub?

If they can't win points then just use the missing players handicap plus 2 and go about awarding points normally.

Not having your sub count for points is like not counting runs scored by a sub in our softball league.

Same with my bowling league. But subs in my bowling league are "pacers" and their score doesn't count.

The only difference I can come up with is that the bowling league pays on a week to week basis, whereas my golf leagues are paid upfront.

Wow, I never heard of subs scores not counting in anything. If we didn't have a sub, we would put in "blind" and it would use the missing person's average minus a pre-determined amount. Otherwise, whatever the sub bowled would count, if we had a sub that night.

The only reason we'd use a sub in my league is to pace groups. They never can earn points. The person missing either has to play the match previous to the date of the match, or they get no points and the person they were to play plays up against the 'blind draw' for the day(Even though they may not play in the same group). Subs are allowed to play in the games for that day (Greenball, skins).

The only reason we'd use a sub in my league is to pace groups. They never can earn points. The person missing either has to play the match previous to the date of the match, or they get no points and the person they were to play plays up against the 'blind draw' for the day(Even though they may not play in the same group). Subs are allowed to play in the games for that day (Greenball, skins).

Well that makes sense. So you don't really need the sub but if someone wants to play they are welcome to.

I guess, for me, I wouldn't call them a sub. Maybe a fill in or something because a sub would be someone that fills in and has their score count.

I know some leagues require you play so many rounds before your score counts. So if you don't have those required rounds in, you would just fill in for pace of play.

Well that makes sense. So you don't really need the sub but if someone wants to play they are welcome to.

I guess, for me, I wouldn't call them a sub. Maybe a fill in or something because a sub would be someone that fills in and has their score count.

I know some leagues require you play so many rounds before your score counts. So if you don't have those required rounds in, you would just fill in for pace of play.

Exactly. More like a fill in. We have two halfs of play (April through September)....top 8 in the first half make playoffs and then top 8 of the second half (not including those who have already qualified in the first half). Then overall points at the end of the season pay out. It's quite a system actually. I've been telling the guys that run it to market it. They've done it for thirty years.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

I apologize, I was unclear in my explanation. The sub can win points for each hole played. The match points would be for the team net scores. He could not win those points (2 in this case) because he is not a true member of the team. The idea would hopefully create a greater incentive to play each week. It would also allow the regular opponent to the sub to get some points in the event that the sub is a below 5 handicap player

Back