Golf next Friday?

I would think it could be either and ask for clarification if you asked me. I would probably assume you meant 10th but possibly the 3rd

That isn't really a grammatically correct sentence I don't think. I have never heard anyone say that... I would probably ask for clarification if that was the case.
Yea that's fair, but I'm still genuinely curious why the word "the" changes it for you, and I buy what your saying, but I just find it interesting. For me it changes nothing, they are the same, but at the same time I oddly can acknowledge this...

If you were, to say "Golf next Friday?" on Wednesday of this coming up week 12/1, now I'm probably thinking you're talking about 12/10, and I would ask for clarification. So I think timing matters, but I can't explain logically why it should matter haha.

This Friday is December 3. Next Friday is December 10.

Yea and I get how context could change everything, I'm off every other friday from work, so naturally my golf group knows that and so all but one of them might have interpreted to the 3rd based solely off of that, but I'm just asking you guys in a vacuum with no other context how you interpret it. My one buddy said that it's the 10th is dead set on it being black and white with no debate to be had, and I can't get behind that, because it's quite clear people definitely interpret it differently.

Yea and I get how context could change everything, I'm off every other friday from work, so naturally my golf group knows that and so all but one of them might have interpreted to the 3rd based solely off of that, but I'm just asking you guys in a vacuum with no other context how you interpret it. My one buddy said that it's the 10th is dead set on it being black and white with no debate to be had, and I can't get behind that, because it's quite clear people definitely interpret it differently.
Honestly I can’t explain why “the” changes it for me, but my brain interprets both ways differently lol similar to the timing of the question

My thought is that Monday starts the next week and next Friday would be Dec. 3. December 10 would be “Friday after next.”

If you asked tomorrow (Monday), then next Friday would be Dec. 10 and “this Friday” would be December 3. That’s just my knee-jerk reaction. lol
This almost exactly. Though early in the week could be a bit of a gray zone.

I believe in clarity in speech. "This coming Friday" would be clear. "Friday, December 3rd" would be clear. "The Friday after the next" would also be clear. So, in terms of what words mean "next Friday" means the next Friday, which would be December 3rd. But I know from past experience, that when some say "next Friday" some are referencing the Friday BEYOND this coming Friday. It also seems to be somewhat regional. So, based on past experience I would ask which Friday they mean.

The English language is full of differences between what proper English states and actual usage. Sometimes actual usage is eventually adopted as 'proper English', other times they remain at odds. This is one reason the English language has so many contradictions.

One example. When I moved from the midwest to Oregon many years ago, I was schooled in no uncertain terms that I was not pronouncing Oregon correctly. In the dictionary it is pronounced very much like it is spelled. To ANYONE who lives in the state it is pronounced Or-e-gun and it doesn't matter how many dictionaries you pull out that say otherwise!

The next Friday is the 3rd. AKA the Friday AKA Friday.

Next Friday would be December 3rd, because it’s the next Friday that will happen. But I’d clarify to be sure we’re on the same page because, as we’ve already seen in this thread, it means different things to different people.

December 10. I always assume next Friday translates to next week Friday. Otherwise I expect to hear this Friday or Friday. Next serves no purpose when talking about December 3 beyond complicating the fate.

Its relative to where you are in the week. If Friday the 3rd can be covered by tomorrow or day after tomorrow or "in a couple of days" which would all qualify it as "this Friday", then "next Friday" is the 10th. If the 3rd falls outside that and closer to "last Friday", then "next Friday" is the 3rd.

The second Friday, not this week but next.

December 3rd

Well guys. I hope this has taught everyone a valuable lesson.

Just use exact dates.

Friday December 3, which would be just in time to celebrate my birthday on the 4th.

I guess that given that it is Sunday it could be open to some misinterpretation. Technically I would say that next Friday would be 12/10 (I think that is the date.). This Friday would be the 3rd.

Unfortunately this Friday I will be too busy at work as it will be 44* which is still playable for me.

I think the only time I could buy this logic would be if it was on a Saturday, as the current week has yet to end.

That said, if someone comes to me on a Sunday night or later and says "next Friday" I definitely don't expect to golf with them inside five days haha

Dec 3rd

I’d think it would be the Friday after the one coming up. And, if I was asked on a Sunday or Monday, I’d probably just check with them to make sure they didn’t mean this Friday coming up. That’s just the way I’ve always interpreted it.

I would assume dec 3rd but the fact there is a thread about this is why I always ask which exact friday they're asking about

Back