Golf Shorts / Smell

JBJGolf

Reaction score
This might just be me... But after about 9 holes walking at 90 degrees my shorts reek. I am going into the round fresh out of the shower, not hygiene problems... Just normal sweat. The shorts smell like hot death and this is embarrassing. Has anyone else experienced this? If I wear pants to golf (microfiber) they don't smell like this. It is just the blended drifit material that reeks. My polo is sweated through and just smells like sweat. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This might just be me... But after about 9 holes walking at 90 degrees my shorts reek. I am going into the round fresh out of the shower, not hygiene problems... Just normal sweat. The shorts smell like hot death and this is embarrassing. Has anyone else experienced this? If I wear pants to golf (microfiber) they don't smell like this. It is just the blended drifit material that reeks. My polo is sweated through and just smells like sweat. Any thoughts?

I have never noticed this myself. I sweat a little, and sure by the end of the round I don't smell like roses, but never anything that I would consider hot death.

I have never noticed this myself. I sweat a little, and sure by the end of the round I don't smell like roses, but never anything that I would consider hot death.

To be fair I may smell it more and be self conscious of it... But even so I don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Strange thoughts...

I generally don't smell my best after a round of golf in the heat, but I certainly don't think it's any worse in performance materials.

Are you trying to tell us that you have stinky nuts?

I kid

I have noticed that the drifit stuff is a little harder to wash for whatever reason. I don't know if it is the material or my front load washer being garbage compared to our older top load. I usually pretreat problem areas with stains or smells on athletic fabric.

Are you trying to tell us that you have stinky nuts?

I kid

I have noticed that the drifit stuff is a little harder to wash for whatever reason. I don't know if it is the material or my front load washer being garbage compared to our older top load. I usually pretreat problem areas with stains or smells on athletic fabric.

I wish I could put it to a specific problem like stunk balls.

If they still kinda smell after you wash them you might have to pretreat.. I do this in the pits of athletic shirts.

My cotton shorts just smell like sweat after a hole or two in the south GA heat. Well documented that any clothing with polyester is not my thing...haha.

Recommend looking into Sports Suds detergent. It'll get any remnants of 'stinky nuts' out of your shorts :wink:

Clear case of swampass. Where the crack sweats uncontrollably in the heat. lol

The product Fresh balls?? I used it in AZ one time... Felt like I was creeping on myself..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommy john draws?? "no pinch, no stink, no sweat" I think is their motto. might be easier to get the funk out of them instead of drifit

It's well known that polypropylene takes on and retains body odors even after repeated washings. It will seem okay, but as soon as you perspire a little, the stench returns with interest. I used to have some polypro long johns for hiking that I discarded after a few months because of that issue, and I've had socks that were a polypro blend that got stinky and couldn't be deodorized.

1.) Do you use fabric softener, like Downy, when washing moisture wicking items? Below is a quote from this link...http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/laundry-washing-workout-gear/

Skip fabric softeners and opt for detergents that are free of fragrances or dyes. Those “extras” can get in between and “clog” the fibers of your fabrics to limit their ability to wick sweat and fight odors, she says. If you want bonus points, use sports washes, detergents that are specially formulated to be used on sports fabrics. It’s not vital, but it can still help your pieces last longer.

2.) Add a cup of white vinegar to a bucket of cold water and soak the stinky clothing item(s) for 15 minutes before washing.

3.) Sounds like you need to powder the undercarriage with a Gold Bond product. http://goldbond.com/?type=powder

Just a thought....

Technical fibers can get matted down which keeps them from wicking moisture properly.Sweat and odors can get trapped in these fibers.You want to wash garments intended for golf,running, ect in a cleaner that has no softeners,phosphates, fragrances and enzymes. There are products specifically made for athletic garments. Also it is a good idea to let these garments air dry versus putting them in the dryer.
Product names are Sport Wash and Double Clean.

All you guys with all your science, makes me sad. We all know there is only one true remedy: a kilt. Like golf was meant to be played!

All you guys with all your science, makes me sad. We all know there is only one true remedy: a kilt. Like golf was meant to be played!
That's so funny. True but funny lol

Try fresh balls. It's a cream. It helps prevent rashes too. It's amazing!

7e08cefa9ec68b21692361efc1b4059d.jpg

Apply liberally prior to playing to help keep the moisture in check. On an unrelated note rubbing soap on your socks will help avoid blistering.

During two a days our head trainer always came through the locker room shouting his advice: "Soap your socks and starch your jocks!"

Another trick for the moisture wicking fabrics that are retaining odor is a little dawn dish soap in the washing machine. It helps break down the filth that's trapped in the material and really does work (and is cheaper than the sports specific detergents). I also use hot water when I wash athletic clothes.

I sweat a lot and I don't notice any stronger smells than just a few hours worth of sweat.

Now, my hats, are a different story. I only buy white hats, but I currently only own yellow hats.

I put on a powder called "monkey balls" before a hot day.At my age I get a bad problems called "Swamp ass"

Gold bond spray...glorious. Just be prepared for a bit of "wtf" did I just do the first time you use it. It too shall pass.

Back