Golf - Social Game vs Skill Game?

It's just a whole bunch of fun.

Question for THPers as it kind of came up in the USGA thread. So many golfers go as solo for multiple reasons and it got me thinking. In your opinion for your personal love for the game, how much of the game is about social activity and how much of it is about a skill activity?

No matter how well I want to play, I would rather play with someone than alone.

Tough one here..depends what course I'm playing and what skill level I'm playing with. If it is a real easy course with less skilled golfers i tend to be more social since they are usually struggling and not enjoying themselves. My problem is I get to relaxed and social and my game goes down to their levels

if I'm playing a great track either as a solo or with a group of equal or better talent I play more competitive and less social
I love to enjoy conversations about anything, but hard to take golf more than social when your partners are double or triple bogey ing every hole

This is a tough question, my initial reaction is to say social, but I do play solo rounds and enjoy the peace and quiet and getting lost in my swing thoughts. It's a social game but I take the skill part seriously enough that I am always trying to score well and get better.

I'll go 70/30. 70 being the skill part.

Both for me. Probably about 50/50

For me, its probably 25/75. I enjoy getting grouped with strangers and meeting people from all walks of life who are from all over the country but I enjoy the endless challenge that is golf a little more.

I enjoy both aspects of the game, I don't play solo often but play as a single and have met some really great people doing it. I really enjoy getting paired with better players it seems to rub off on me.

When I was younger I went out as a single and enjoyed the challenges presented by the golf course. Now, however, its more social, and I don't think I'd want to go out and play as a single, or join a group of strangers. I've got a group of guys I play golf with, who all get along together, we're in our 70's, our skill levels are pretty even, and we just have a lot of fun on the course.

Skill for me. I could play every round by myself and love the game just as much! I am a very competitive person so golf is the ultimate sport for me. I will never be good enough.

Both for me personally, I love to go out with friends with some drinks and have fun, but at the same time I am always competing against a set number in my head

Im looking to buy a year membership at my local club to play atleast 3 times a week solo.

I could go to the range unlimited for far less money, but the best practice is out on the course.

When i play i keep the mentality as light and fun as possible but with keeping my skills as sharp as i can. Gotta have fun, but keep it competitive as well.

Back