Golf - Social Game vs Skill Game?

For me, right now,it's much more to introduce my kids to the game and spend quality time with them. I am trying to improve my game and as my kids get older and improve, I'm sure that will be more of a focus. I love getting to enjoy the outdoors and getting my kids to do something they will hopefully enjoy for their (and my) lifetime.

For me, its the balance between the two. I practice the skill side of the game (playing as a single) to make my social game (playing at outings) more enjoyable.

exactly! I was going to say the same thing, but you said it better then I could have.

Social is primary for me ... I work at the skill side, just so I can keep the ball in play most of the time, and not hold up the group ... at the end of the round, its the friendship that means the most to me. There just is not a number on a scorecard that can indicate the enjoyment of being alive, healthy enough to tee it up, and being outside with a good group of friends ... its why I play the game.

There just is not a number on a scorecard that can indicate the enjoyment of being alive, healthy enough to tee it up, and being outside with a good group of friends ... its why I play the game.

Amen, brother!!

Skill mostly for me, but the social aspect, especially when playing with THPers, is certainly a great part about this wonderful game as well. The exercise aspect is right up there with those for me.

Prefer to play with others but don't mind playing alone. Always want to play as good as I can so skill is important also.

For me, its the balance between the two. I practice the skill side of the game (playing as a single) to make my social game (playing at outings) more enjoyable.

I agree with this 100%.

THIS!!

I play golf for a multitude of reasons. I enjoy competing against myself as well as being able to relax and decompress. I also enjoy playing with friends and catching up as well as competing against each other. I guess golf is a combination of a social game and a skill game.

Playing rounds for me is social while trying to take dollars from my buddies :)

For me personally it is skill first, social second - I work at my game too hard to just have it be social...

Heck, maybe if I treat it more as a social skill I would be playing better lol

This sums it up nicely.

The apocalypse must be near, Blu has been quoted repeatedly in this thread. :alien:

I honestly can't remember the last round I played on my own, but even though I am always playing with friends I still have that drive to improve whilst enjoying the social side of the game

Here are the kinds of golf I play: practice golf, buddy golf, exercise golf, and skill golf. A game may not be exclusively just one kind of golf, and the game may slide from one kind to another, but each of these do not necessarily complement the other kind.

For example, I don't think it's good form for me to be betting against buddies who haven't played for the past three months. Or do I expect a good score if I'm trying something out. Golf is many things for me. It's not primarily driven by my handicap. An 89 or a 97 makes no difference to me.

I would say that I enjoy the social aspect of golf more, but I like it more when I am playing well. I do like the opportunities to play rounds on my own so I can clear my head and at times get rid of the stress from the week.

I golf maybe 40%, max, rounds solo, and then that's obviously skill. I'm either really out there or I'm working on something, or testing equipment.
The times I'm playing with someone, it's only skill probably 25% of the time. I'd rather just hang out most of the time, but there IS the chance at a free lunch here and there.

Great question and I like blugold's answer...

It's a mix. Being able to,play with regular groups or even strangers is a fun part of golf but I also like the challenge of trying to get better at it and working on my game.

I'd say currently 75% skill/for me, 25% for social. I play scramble format for most of my social rounds so score doesn't matter. But I still want to contribute as many shots as possible during scramble rounds. I play predominantly with my son and while it's a bonding experience, it's not quite "social". I also am very competitive with myself and want to get as good as possible (preferably single digit or scratch one day).

It's all about skill.

The social element is cool at times but there are so few people who tolerate me.

It's all about skill.

The social element is cool at times but there are so few people who tolerate me.

You shut your mouth.

Most of my rounds are played with at least one other person, so I'll say social. Still work on skill stuff during those rounds. Lately I've been playing more rounds alone, and those are definitely more geared towards skill sessions. Hitting multiple balls off the tee, playing extra approach shots, dropping balls around the green.

Back