Golf - Social Game vs Skill Game?

10% Social game 90% Skill game

For me, its the balance between the two. I practice the skill side of the game (playing as a single) to make my social game (playing at outings) more enjoyable.

This is me 100%

Skill for sure.

I'd rather play golf alone forever than badly forever.

I really could go either way. I like the social side and I like the skill side. I'm comfortable by myself or in a group. I just like golf and what it brings to me personally

For me its the skill side. I have no problem playing alone and when I'm playing in a group I'm more focused on my game than chatting with somebody else. I don't think I'm rude or not fun on the course, but I'm not having a heart felt conversation.
My wife is always amazed how little talking I do. She'll ask me what we talked about when I get home and I'll say not much. She thinks its purely a social activity and that we're out there for 4 hours chatting about our lives.

I really dislike playing alone, so maybe the game is more social than skill for me, but I really love trying to improve at this impossibly hard game.

me and you both buddy

Depends on the day, but these definitely go hand in hand, IMO.
If I’m having fun and getting along with my playing partners, a good round usually follows.

While I enjoy golfing by myself, whether just to chillax or working on things and competeing with myself to improve; I enjoy the social aspect, withr freinds (or even brand new acquaintences), SO much more. I'd say I'm at least 75% social / 25% skill. I practice 4 or 5 days a week because I enjoy doing it and tracking results. Still, I realized long ago I'll never be all that great at this game, so I tend to really enjoy the camradrie regardless how I'm playing. I've never not enjoyed a round of golf unless it's shared with someone who gets so unbearably negative about his own poor day that he completely sucks the fun out of it for everyone else. One of the greatest things about THP is we're all riding that same positivity, first in fun, train.

Both. I love the social side and I love the me against the course side.

Both for me. When I'm at work I prefer to play alone, to practice, to get away from work and if I'm honest I'm not overly keen on the other guys that are left there who golf. When I'm home its social I love teeing it up with my wife and I've met / made a few friends over here playing local golf society days. Obviously the result is important but spending quality time together doing something we enjoy together can not be beaten.

I have rarely enjoyed playing alone. If I find myself at a special venue I will go solo but that is to enjoy the course and the experience.

I like to practice but really prefer to compete with whoever I am playing with (against).

Also, my game is not what it used to be so it is really social for me these days.

I love going to the range and working on my game, but I also love hitting the course as a single to work on my game.
I do this only to improve and enhance my enjoyment for playing with others. There is nothing better than playing with friends.

It is both for me, ratio is probably 2/3 skill, 1/3 social. Not saying I prefer the skill to the social, but given the amount of time that I play alone and practice, I think that ratio is accurate at this time.

THP events = social for me

At home it's 95% skill

I'd say it's 75% skill, 25% social. The bulk of my rounds are solo, but I definitely enjoy getting together with friends when our schedules actually match up for a round, and the usual good natured ribbing and catching up that comes with hanging out for 4 hours.

I prefer playing with friends, but will play alone for the solitude.

However, starting January 1 2016, due to a rule change, those solo rounds can no longer be reported for handicap purposes. They become total practice rounds, meaning the ROG go out the window and I'm using the course as a driving range with grass if I'm playing solo.

The skill part of the game for me is 100% as I am always trying to improve whether playing alone or not.
The social part of it is probably 95% because that would be my guess at the percentage of rounds played with others.

It's about 50/50 for me. A huge part of the reason I play golf is for the social interaction. If it wasn't for that part of the game, I don't think it would take me long to get bored with it. However, I'm extremely competitive, so I also play a lot solo to get better at it.

For me it is about trying to play my best, but I certainly understand the social aspect.

As far as my personal love for the game is concerned ... it's the game itself, the skills needed, challenges and competition that grabs me and fuels my passion to play and improve.

There is a social aspect involved that I enjoy - playing with friends and good players and the post-round camaraderie but if I'm being honest I could play as a single most of the time and be perfectly content. I'm inherently an introvert so there's that

To to give it a percentage I'll say 80% the game vs. 20% social

I started playing for social now it's a mix. I play more solo for the skill side due to schedule with the occasional social round thrown in.

I enjoy both but getting out to play is mostly about quiet/me time and self competition. I truly enjoy playing with thpers with a little comp thrown in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me it's about some decompression time and as much peace and quiet as I can enjoy. While I enjoy playing with friends I'm typically happier on a solo round because my life has me in situations where everyone wants a piece of my time, the alone time on the course is peaceful and a necessary stress relief.

for me its about playing golf. But Its always better when in good company. I don't play for the company, I play to play golf. Having good and fun company is simply an added bonus and something I prefer and look forward to and hope is going to be the case but its not my primary reason for playing.

60/40 skill for me. I enjoy playing with my buddies but I want to have the skills to beat them.

I'd say 90%+ of my rounds I go to the course as a single. Half of those I get paired with others, the other half I golf solo. I enjoy the company but my game enjoys playing as a single.

For example, I played 9 yesterday with two guys I met at the starters box. Nice guys and fun to talk with. Shot a 41 (admittedly, first round in 4 weeks so it was a bit of warm-up).

Today I went out and wanted to get in 18 quickly as I needed to get back to help my wife (we're visiting the in-laws and my FIL's 80th is today) make dinner for a lot of people. Played though a foursome at #2 and then there was nobody in front of me. Shot 75 (36-39) in 2.5 hours. 2 birdies, 5 bogeys and 11 pars. 13/14 FIR (the one I missed was 2 yards right of fairway), 61% GIR and 31 putts. Actually didn't even bother to record the score on the scorecard and only figured out my score when I uploaded the round to GameGolf. It was the first time I broke 80 at Black Mesa (near Santa Fe) which is a pretty tough course.

I like social golf but I love the skill side of the game.

Back