Golf Tech and Your Game?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How much tech do you use in and around your golf game? Launch monitors, GPS, rangefinders, video, etc etc.

I’m pretty simple in that all I currently use is a rangefinder. If I could afford to get a good launch monitor I would use that.

I use a Garmin GPS watch, a Bushnell rangefinder, and a Bluetooth speaker during my rounds. The data from my watch is uploaded to my phone, which I view/edit later, but I avoid my phone during a round as much as possible. I don't have access to a launch monitor, neither of the two golf shops in town have them so I'd have to travel 2+ hours to the nearest facility that has one. One shop in town has a sim that you can rent time on, but it's pretty useless to me - the ceiling is so low that I can't hit anything longer than an iron without bouncing the clubhead off the ceiling.

I've considered buying a launch monitor like the SC300i or the new Garmin, but haven't heard enough about their accuracy/reliability to convince me that it's worth the investment. I was following the SC300i thread, but interest in it seemed to fizzle out pretty quickly, which wasn't a good sign.

Last edited:
GPS watch is the only tech that I use.

I have a gps and I have access to a gcquad I can use. That’s about it.

GPS watch on the course. Rapsodo occasionally on the range. Simulator during the winter to keep the game up

GPS watch is the only tech that I use.
Yup. Less is more. I'd be fine playing with just sprinkler heads but GPS watch/rangefinder/cart GPS simplifies that process a bit.

Eventually launch monitor for fun and sim golf.

Garmin Approach S60 GPS watch, Leupold GX laser, and Voice Caddie SC200 monitor. Laser battery died on the back 9 yesterday at an out of state course I'm not super familiar with. Was glad I could at get the F,M,B yardages from my watch.

Last edited:
On the course I have Arccos and a rangefinder. I generally use one or the other on each hole. Off the course I have a SkyTrak and I use that when I’m working on the game at home. I also see a launch monitor for the range in my future.

I use a combination of GPS watch and a rangefinder on the course. Could use just one, but I have both so why not. GPS gives me distances that are hard to laser. Rangefinder for exact distances when needed or to confirm what I' seeing on my watch. If forced to choose one, I'd probably pick the watch right now.

I use my SC200 to dial in my driver carry numbers when I'm figuring out shafts, settings, etc. Other than that mostly what I use it for is the short game practice mode. Doesn't get a ton of other use unless I'm testing something. I could see getting a better one if I ever have the space for an indoor sim.

I've used video in the past to work on my swing, and still will if something feels a bit off.

Gps watch with a rangefinder for special situations.

Would love to grab one of the personal launch monitors like an sc200 or prgr for the range. I might go more.

I am an Arccos devote (with slope, temp, and wind ON normally) but have started using the Shot Scope V3 gps watch as well. Before the GPS I used a rangefinder but found the heaviness in my bag outweighed the times I would use it with the GPS (basically wedge shots inside 135). I like being able to see what is in front of me and distances to narrowing of fairways, layups, hazards, etc.

We have a Rapsodo and actually won one sometime back that we are looking to sell now. It is pretty good but I am interested in the Garmin. Might save up for a mevo+

I'm using a range finder and posting scores on the Grint app on my phone during my rounds.

I use a laser rangefinder and Arccos on the course.

I will use the GPS on the Grint app on occasion, but prefer the rangefinder yardage. Nice to see the GPS if a blind approach shot so you know if water or where bunkers may be.

For myself just a rangefinder. I’ll get tips from YouTube and from watching golf though, so I guess that counts?

I use my rangefinder all the time but also pull up GPS on my phone quite often. I'll also take videos of my swing so my phone camera is important.

Yup. Less is more. I'd be fine playing with just sprinkler heads but GPS watch/rangefinder/cart GPS simplifies that process a bit.

Eventually launch monitor for fun and sim golf.

I have played a few rounds this season using only sprinkler heads. Didn’t play any worse than I did using GPS watch.

I used GPS mostly and Laser occasionally. A launch monitor when I have access to one.

Arccos in my grips for data. Laser rangefinder paired with Arccos app using satellite for distances. Skytrak as a virtual driving range in my garage. Rapsodo MLM to get numbers at the real driving range. Speed sensor for speed training.. I guess I like tech a little bit.

I use an app on my watch that pairs with my phone on the course. When testing clubs I do go to a place that has a launch monitor.

I use a GPS on my watch for basics, but I still tend to use the rangefinder for exact yardages to pins the closer I get to a green. Probably because I'm not great with the longer irons. I would love to have a range finder with more features, i.e. green undulation, hole layout etc... Also don't have a launch monitor, but that could be the next big purchase since my driving range is on a hillside and with no way to determine yardages to targets.

GPS watch. Range finder.

I have a VC G1 watch and a rangefinder i will use. My coach has a trackman which is nice to work on swing stuff. If the golf cart has GPS the range finder does not come out often.

I will use the GPS on the Grint app on occasion, but prefer the rangefinder yardage. Nice to see the GPS if a blind approach shot so you know if water or where bunkers may be.

Same for me. In addition, my instructor will occasionally bust out his FlightScope.

Back