Golf this summer - Forced to walk? OR single riders only?

I wouldn't know since I've never used a push cart but I would imagine not having to carry would be a lot easier...and great exercise either way
Yeah I'm all for the exercise for certain- I guess since I've never done either with any frequency, I was curious if it was THAT much easier to push/pull versus carry. I don't plan on walking much when things get back to normal, but if it's walk vs not play well then it's a pretty obvious answer.

I have a pretty light bag and have just been walking even when single carts are offered so far. But like you, I have been considering a push cart to make it even easier. Haven't quite pulled the trigger yet though.

In California right now we are only allowed to walk. :drinks:

Our club has plenty of carts and is enforcing the single rider/family rule. Our rates are the same at $20 per person/cart unless you have a cart plan. Guests have their cart fee included in the guest rate.

Been wondering this myself. There are several courses that we usually play that are walking only. Having been nothing but a rider all the time, walking 18 while carrying was pretty rough for me. I'm sure it gets better as you do it more often, but after about 11 holes I was ready to walk to the clubhouse. Does pushing/pulling a cart make it that much easier?
Using a push cart is much easier on my joints. I'll walk 27 with a push cart but not sure I want to try 18 with my bag on my back.

Time to invest.

GOLFBOARD2B.jpg
Las Vegas National GC was the only course I knew of that had these. I don't think they do any more and not sure if they made money on the rentals. Not too many walkable golf courses out here in the desert, especially in the summer months.

Using a push cart is much easier on my joints. I'll walk 27 with a push cart but not sure I want to try 18 with my bag on my back.
Thanks for that sir--- off to look for a push cart I guess.....

Played 18 this morning & no one was wearing a mask, it is all walking here except for 1 course which would take way to long to walk. They are single riders only. I see it staying this way for a bit but don't think it will last all summer.

Been wondering this myself. There are several courses that we usually play that are walking only. Having been nothing but a rider all the time, walking 18 while carrying was pretty rough for me. I'm sure it gets better as you do it more often, but after about 11 holes I was ready to walk to the clubhouse. Does pushing/pulling a cart make it that much easier?
Push/pull cart makes it a lot easier on your joints and your back.

At this point, I would kill for any option to be able to play. I am a walker anyway so would have no issue with a walking only restriction. The only thing that worries me about that is how slow some of these people will be that decide to give walking a go for quite possibly the frist time ever or at least the first time in many, many years.

This will be an interesting issue at courses I frequent. Walking, or single rider.

During the triple didgit days, some courses don't want us older golfers walking. They prefer us to ride, sometimes lowering, or even not charging for the cart.

On the other hand I can see these same courses adding an extra rider fee for the missing rider.

Left up to me, I will prefer to walk but will pay the cart fee(s) if required.

I haven’t walked a course since maybe a year or two after I graduated (06) because I didn’t like the extra 20 for a cart, was the hottest day ever and felt miserable after the round.

This might turn me to getting a push cart but could change the courses I play since most around here have a few holes that are long from green to next tee. Rather push the bag first to see how I like it before I carry again (would be a good excuse to get another bag though!!)

Right now we are single carts only unless you live in the same household. No extra charge for the cart right now, but I expect that will change once things open up a bit.

Walking only - there are a few that would make it tough to walk so I may have to forgo playing them

don’t really care about what others do, been to the grocery store/target enough that you can’t rely on others to do the right thing.

Speaking of the course between the two bros riding together in the cart because it’s “fine” and the guy picking up my ball, I’m all set

No way anyone in Texas is wearing a mask when it’s 105+ with the heat index. Not unless you want guys passing out on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm walking. Either carrying or pushing.

*edit* For the mask I doubt it. Its way too hot here.

Carry the bag! Get some great exercise. No push carts here.

Seems like they're charging $5-$10 extra here, but we are busy as ever.
5-10 extra for single rider carts seems fair. Before NY shut downs and then re-opened with no csrts that is what many places were charging around here.

I love walking and I carry my bag so no change for me.

I walk and carry, plus in the summer we play in the evenings so its really not bad.

Was discussing this with a few people. I'm thinking social distancing is going to extend through the summer in most areas meaning unless you live in the same house you won't be riding in a cart with your buddies for a round. Is it time to invest in a push cart? Will courses charge more for single riders?
That is a very interesting question, as I doubt many courses could handle 18 holes full of carts, especially during events, where tees are double stacked. What was 36 carts is now 72 that could potentially be out there at one time.

I'm most curious to see how long my course will go with allowing us to walk whenever we want - Currently they are overlooking their standard "must ride" on FRI-SUN before 2pm.

Was discussing this with a few people. I'm thinking social distancing is going to extend through the summer in most areas meaning unless you live in the same house you won't be riding in a cart with your buddies for a round. Is it time to invest in a push cart? Will courses charge more for single riders?

So far this spring, I'm seeing single riders unless they live in the same household. Not sure how they would confirm that, but I'd guess they're taking most people's word for it. Doesn't make sense not to let members of the same household ride together. Doesn't affect me much at all. I walk the vast majority of the time anyway.

Hats to tell what summer will bring. It's a little too early to speculate.

Last edited:
I prefer to walk anyway, but if it ends up that the only way to play this year is to wear a mask I may just take the year off. It is supposed to be fun recreation. I think that'd get lost with the mask.

Dave

Some of the courses here in Ohio allow carts with only 1 rider or force you to walk. Some are allowing walking only. Honestly, if it means that this summer theres fewer idiots out there who just seem to want to tear up the course with the cart, get drunk and blast their music; that wouldnt be such a bad thing.

Back