RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had two good misses today on the course. I thinned a PW pin high on a par 3 and also played it safe and took a 3h off the tee to avoid water. Pushed the 3h right and it ended up flying the creek to the tune of 266 yards, which was longer than my driver was going by the ends of the round. I had the wind at my back, but man that was a good miss.

What are some of your best mishits?

Thinned a shot that was pulled left, shot hit a tree and bounced onto the green. No joke saved me from the blow up hole.

Today I blocked a drive way right. Landed perfectly in the middle of the previous hole's fairway. Excellent lie and great site to the green. Left me a full 7iron in. Came away with the par.

Eagle 2 with a 8 iron that never got more then 10 feet off the ground

I pushed sliced a drive OOB across the road, hit an elevated bank and bounced back across the road and onto the golf course. Knocked my next shot on the green and made the putt for birdie.

A fellow playing in front of my group topped his shot on a par 3. His balled rolled all the way down the hill, onto the green, and into the hole for a 1

Typical good misses that can save my round:
- a thinned wedge that has so much spin that it holds the green
- a heely drive that can fade it’s way on the fairway
- a ground ball 3W that goes straight and far enough to effectively act as a safe lay up.

Oh the thinny wedge that deserves to rot in hell but instead ends up decent is mine. Seems to happen once a round, so dumb, but I thank the golf gods and move along.

Great thread. I'll be adding to this often, I'm sure.

I thinned a PW from 120 out that never got higher than 8 feet and must have had about 10 million rpm's of spin. It hit the green a foot right of the pin, bounced once and spun back 15 feet to pin high. That ball should have been in the water over the back of the green.

Had a great miss over the weekend. Thinned a 9i on a par 3. That thing took off like a Gary Woodland stinger, hit the green, hopped once, and stopped inside 10 feet. Everyone in the group was shocked. Better to be lucky, I guess!

The good miss is a favorite. Like when you thin a shot going for a par 5 in two and it ends up short of the hazard.

my best was a thin 8i on a par four that holed out from 158.

dont have specific examples. Far too many to only name one. But I wanted to add that very often many my better played rounds are the result of a day with a lot of good misses. Not necessarily a whole bunch of great shots but simply many not so good ones that seem to end up ok enough (AKA "good misses) and no blow-ups.

Had a great miss recently after a drive had me on the right side in rough. Blind shot using 3 hybrid from 240 out and my shot went further left than where I was aiming, drive cart up to left side of fairway and see a ball up on the green, I thought for sure was my playing partners ball, but he was standing over his ball about 50 yards back.

He tells me my ball is on the green as it hit the tree just in front of him and bounced up onto the green. :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to be on the lookout for one of these.

Over 95% of my shots are "misses" in some sense. The shots that are slightly pushed, hit slightly off-center etc. tend to be the best misses.

When it comes to more extreme mishits, I do know that when I skull my 8 iron and 9 iron they go about the same distance as when I hit them flush so those mishits tend to work out well.

Last edited:
Last round I completely mis-swung on my tee shot with driver when a mosquito landed in my ear. Ball hit high on the face and had some serious spin. It caught a tail wind and ended up landing soft at 240 yards - on the green of an adjacent hole. Lucky though, since after a drop I had a nice wedge shot over some trees and was able to save par.

I thinned an 8 iron approach last night into the banking of our raised greens and it popped up onto the apron about pin high. Terrible shot that ended up just fine.

I'm going to be on the lookout for one of these.
Wouldn't your "worst shot of the day" from your recent post fall into the "good miss" category?

Downhill par 3 with a creek off to the left... I pulled an 8i and it headed for the creek. My partner yelled “Hit a rock and be good!” and it did: took a big high bounce off to the right and landed in the fringe. Got up/down for par.

I've made two hole in ones of off significantly miss-hit shots.

One was thinned and never got more than four feet off the ground. It was a bit dry and the ball bounced along and gently rolled straight into the cup.

The other was one that I dead pulled left. It caught the steep slope on that side of the green, bounded down that hill, smashed into the flag probably a foot off the ground, and dropped.

Wouldn't your "worst shot of the day" from your recent post fall into the "good miss" category?
That was the only one that came to mind. I would have been fine without the kick though. I wouldn't have chipped in for birdie probably, but it didn't seem dramatic enough of a change in outcome.

Last edited:
I thinned a PW about 2 grooves low about 10 years ago on a 130 yard island green par three in a pro am for a Champions Tour event. It carried onto the green about 25 feet short of the flag and ran right into the hole. It was a skull shot but it wasn’t the shot in my mind.

My perspective on golf has always been that your score is more about the quality of your misses than the quality of your good shots. Hogan said he only hit about 4 shots a round the way he wanted the rest were good misses.

Par 3, hit a 7-iron short, it hit the rocks on the edge of the water, bounced right of the pin and rolled to within 4 feet. Smiter and ntanygd760 thought it might have been an ace, but it wasn't, which is fine.

The three putts from 4 feet, on the other hand, were an abomination unto the eyes of the Lord.

I've had more missed good shots than I care to count. Most of the time my good misses leave me with good, playable next shot. Just farther from the hole than I planned on.

One I remember was a shot I badly sliced. There was a lateral water hazard running the length of the fairway.

The ball carried over the water to the far bank. This hazard had concrete sides. The ball hit the concrete, and bounce 30 yards back over the water, leaving me with a normal fairway next shot, which I put on the green and 1 putted for a bird. At least a two shot turn around.

Back