Got in an argument with a builder today

Tywithay

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Had a club regripped today at a local pro shop. It was an align grip and a Callaway driver shaft
He asked how I wanted it aligned, and I said "I want the alignment straight from the dash on the back of the adapter." He then proceeded to explain how I needed to pick the setting I wanted it aligned to, because I won't be able to adjust it. I said, "it's a dual cog adapter, the shaft won't move, the cogs will move." He still didn't get it, but said whatever. Then he put the grip on with the dash facing up. So, I told him it was upside down. The solvent was still wet, so he kind of scoffed and turned it the other way (crooked, mind you) then handed it back and said "no charge." Then, he walked off to work on someone else. His attitude aside, unless I'm confused on how the Callaway adapter works, he seemed to be in the wrong, in my opinion.

Am I right on the dual cog adjustment?

Last edited:
Yes, the line on the cog will be at the bottom at address.

Wow. You would think a club builder with any sort of knowledge would already know that. His attitude suggests to me that he has no interest in customer service and I would never have him touch another club of mine again

That's disappointing customer service regardless of the way you asked for things. If the grip wasn't set, it sure doesn't take much to quickly spin it around. Have you brought other clubs there for work in the past?

That’s not someone I would ever go back to. But you’re right. I’d guess that’s one reason align grips are stock for Callaway drivers since you can adjust the cog without moving the grip

That's disappointing customer service regardless of the way you asked for things. If the grip wasn't set, it sure doesn't take much to quickly spin it around. Have you brought other clubs there for work in the past?
Only once before, for a Callaway driver as well. I can only assume he guessed right on getting that one aligned properly. Though, he didn't even trim the grip tape on the first one, so it was sticking out almost an inch out from the end of the grip. I just cut it off myself, but I guess it should have been a red flag that he gives a half effort.

Poor customer service to say the least. Actually the alignment of the shaft got mentioned in Off Course today with CC. None the less at minimum the repairer should of known what he was doing and how to do a quality job. Hopefully you were able to straighten it up once he handed it to you.

Only once before, for a Callaway driver as well. I can only assume he guessed right on getting that one aligned properly. Though, he didn't even trim the grip tape on the first one, so it was sticking out almost an inch out from the end of the grip. I just cut it off myself, but I guess it should have been a red flag that he gives a half effort.
Yikes, that's definitely not good. I can understand the first instance though - I'd probably give someone the benefit of the doubt there too.

Had a club regripped today at a local pro shop. It was an align grip and a Callaway driver shaft
He asked how I wanted it aligned, and I said "I want the alignment straight from the dash on the back of the adapter." He then proceeded to explain how I needed to pick the setting I wanted it aligned to, because I won't be able to adjust it. I said, "it's a dual cog adapter, the shaft won't move, the cogs will move." He still didn't get it, but said whatever. Then he put the grip on with the dash facing up. So, I told him it was upside down. The solvent was still wet, so he kind of scoffed and turned it the other way (crooked, mind you) then handed it back and said "no charge." Then, he walked off to work on someone else. His attitude aside, unless I'm confused on how the Callaway adapter works, he seemed to be in the wrong, in my opinion.

Am I right on the dual cog adjustment?
yeah you're right... he's, err, something else. Where was this? GolfHQ? DSG?

That's like a chef asking me how I want my chicken cooked.
And then serving it with feathers.

Never let him 'build' anything of yours again. Yeesh.

Yep, you're right on the dual cog adjustment - and he sounds like a guy to avoid in the future, for a few reasons.

Geez don't ever go back there again. That's bad

so much wrong here. 1, yes you are correct and he is incorrect about the Callaway dual cog. 2, he then installed it wrong, 3, did a piss poor job of rectifying the issue and finally 4, seemed like a Richard about the whole thing.

I wouldn't even call that person a club builder. Pretty poor job all around.

Even Nick at Club Champion mentioned this yesterday on @Canadan ”Off the Course” podcast how the Callaway adapter leaves the shaft in same position which is big benefit if you get driver SST Pured if you are picky on what part of the shaft you want to see while standing over the ball.

I wonder why Callaway just doesn’t license the Optifit adapter to other OEM’s as I guess it doesn’t drive Callaway driver sales but is a golf innovation that would be a benefit (label down always) and could drive more SST Puring with other non-Callaway drivers. Just another potential revenue stream.

I'd be pretty fired up if a guy who got paid to regrip a club showed any signs of aggravation after putting it on wrong.

What a doofus.

Strange update to this situation. Today on the 17th tee, the grip literally spun around the shaft. Result was awful, but I can't even describe the feeling of your grip and shaft not moving in sync. Never seen anything like it. Will NEVER deal with that guy or his shop again.

Strange update to this situation. Today on the 17th tee, the grip literally spun around the shaft. Result was awful, but I can't even describe the feeling of your grip and shaft not moving in sync. Never seen anything like it. Will NEVER deal with that guy or his shop again.
That's so messed up. Was it a guy in Wichita?

First time seeing this thread. I was happy to see the date on the first post was not today.

Back