RxGus

Argyle Warrior
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
So... I thought I had everything figured out and now I am second guessing myself. What do you THPer's think?

I have been using my iPhone for a golf GPS and have generally been pleased. However, it does kill my battery and it seems to take longer and longer to sync up the distance and so I have been using it less and less as the season goes on. I really loved having distances and LOVED being able to "see" a hole I was unfamiliar with (I used golf shot). The solution is obviously to get a dedicated golf GPS.

I have done a ton of research on them, in large part here (thanks THP) and several other reputable websites. I have narrowed my selection down to two.

Callaway uPro
OnPar Touch

What I want from a GPS:
1. Accurate Distances and fast updates
2. Ability to see distances to individual points (hole map/overview)
3. Fast/unobtrusive use during a round

Callaway uPro
I was offered a deal on a refurbed model (same warranty as new) for $110!

Spoiler
Pro's
All of my needs above (with an upgrade and Pro Maps)
Premarked points of interest (Pro) making it faster
Unit is smaller and less expensive

Con's
Cost per course to buy the Pro maps (additional $140 for scoring + 50 courses)

OnPar
Online costs are hovering ~$300
Spoiler
Pro's
Every course is mapped in the manner I want
Touch screen easily keeps stats/distances/etc
Cool factor because it is a touch screen

Con's
More expensive
No premapped hazards/distances (have to "measure" distance to each hazard individually
Some reports of mis-marked hazards/courses

Overall
If the uPro provided all maps in their "Pro mode" this wouldn't even be a question. I love the multiple premarked distances and unit size. While it is much cheaper, the cost of getting the maps is astounding for the number of courses I play in a year. So I add a lot to the cost of the unit OR use it as a simple GPS on a course I only plan on playing once... defeating some of the purpose of having a GPS. The OnPar is more expensive but will work to its full capability on any course I set foot on. Its big negative is that it doesn't premark hazards and therefore takes time on each shot to measure to the front of this bunker, or that bunker, etc.

My estimated cost for the uPro all calculated 250, OnPar 310.

Thoughts?
People who have used both- what do you prefer and why?

my old man has a upro and i have an onpar. he and i both prefer the onpar. the full screen, the touch screen capabilites and the fact that you pay nothing after purchase is pretty sweet. i use mine for yardages only, no stat keeping type stuff and i like it. i had an issue once where i kept getting an "error" message but i contacted their support and they walked me through what i needed to get done. it's a solid unit, if a course isn't available, request it, it will be in 30 days.

my vote goes to the onpar, but i am biased i suppose.

I dont think either are as good as the bushnell, but both are very good options.

my old man has a upro and i have an onpar. he and i both prefer the onpar. the full screen, the touch screen capabilites and the fact that you pay nothing after purchase is pretty sweet. i use mine for yardages only, no stat keeping type stuff and i like it. i had an issue once where i kept getting an "error" message but i contacted their support and they walked me through what i needed to get done. it's a solid unit, if a course isn't available, request it, it will be in 30 days.

my vote goes to the onpar, but i am biased i suppose.

If I didn't want your opinion (or bias) I wouldn't have asked. I have talked to a lot of people that have used one or the other... but very few people that have used both. Thats what I was hoping to find!

If I didn't want your opinion (or bias) I wouldn't have asked. I have talked to a lot of people that have used one or the other... but very few people that have used both. Thats what I was hoping to find!

to me, the onpar is just cooler, if that makes sense. it has a bigger screen, and i like that i can touch to a spot and get a yardage. it makes it more versatile to me. plus, you're an iphone guy, it's almost identical in size and you should transfer right on over quickly.

A new model of the Upro is coming out this spring, teaser video here:

You already know what I think about the UPro, but why not consider a lazer or the Bushnell? Once I have the extra cash I'll be going lazer.

You already know what I think about the UPro, but why not consider a lazer or the Bushnell? Once I have the extra cash I'll be going lazer.

I really fell in love with the aerial views of the holes, particularly for courses I had never played (or didn't play very often). While a laser is useful, I want it to be a course management tool and not just a distance finder.

I really fell in love with the aerial views of the holes, particularly for courses I had never played (or didn't play very often). While a laser is useful, I want it to be a course management tool and not just a distance finder.

That is the exact reason I use both and still love my GPS. Well that and doglegs of course. The aerial views and pin point cursor make the GPS very useful.

I can understand that and thats what I wanted too. The real answer to me would be whether or not ALL my courses were available now. Callaway has great CS on their other product, but can say from experience it sucks with this division. Good luck buddy.

I guess that settles it. I'll pony up and spend more now to be happier later!

TC- how long does it take to find distances to individual targets on the Onpar? I know you said you don't use these functions... but is the scoring/average distance intrusive?

Google Search:

Cheap OnPar and..... Go!

Has anyone used Skydroid

man, I say onpar

Has anyone used Skydroid

As I stated earlier that I used golfshot ($20) and i really enjoyed it... I fell in love with using a GPS and decided it was worth my money to get a good one that doesnt kill my cell battery and doesnt take 30 seconds to find my yardage after I toggle it off.

I just downloaded it for my Incrdible. Can't use it for another 3 months or so, but I figured it was worth a shot at $1.99.

I thought since I had the device (Droid X) that I would see if anybody had the experience with it. For $1.99 I guess I could try it.

I thought since I had the device (Droid X) that I would see if anybody had the experience with it. For $1.99 I guess I could try it.

Certainly do!
I would have never spent 300 on a device until I after I spent 20 and found out how much I loved it!

Back