CONTEST Grandaddy Prep Trip: Pick the winner each day

@Muchmore18 What do you recommend.
The waitress: Fish Tacos.

tenor.gif

One thing we did learn this weekend was that @xThor orders his appetizers like his Odyssey putters.. "I'll take one of each".. 🤣

I think one of the commandments of the church of Neil is, “thou shall buy all appetizers, without question.”

that and pouring in long range putts were a big selling point on me joining up.

I think one of the commandments of the church of Neil is, “thou shall buy all appetizers, without question.”

that and pouring in long range putts were a big selling point on me joining up.
didn’t we all join the “church of Neil” when putting? Or was that just @RealPretendPsychic and his group?

didn’t we all join the “church of Neil” when putting? Or was that just @RealPretendPsychic and his group?

with the long range bombs you were pouring in I was assuming you had already joined before the trip? :LOL:

I didn’t blame him though…. Peer pressure?? Or just “yes ma’am”??

For her? You do as you are told, shut up, and like it. 😁

@Vader had multiple lip outs and some very bad bouces but we can't forget the left handed punch from under the trees.
20210724_105536.jpg
20210724_105538.jpg

wildly different results though #chunkcity 😂
It was a tough shot. At least you got the ball out of the tree, you not so much :p

On top of it your partner SUCKED!!

Yeah man, that morning round was a real test of patience. Sure I cracked a few times, as any human would, but by the end, it was just comical.

Thankfully, the afternoon round got a little better.

God it was fun though.
You were absolutely getting boned on some of your shots. Just bad luck and bad breaks.

Last edited:
So overall how did you guys like #2 and Dubsdread?? What were the highs and lows of each course?.... #2 is a very underrated course and for alot of regulars there its the favorite course of the 4

judging by the score cards it seems most of you had the same problems on #10 on course 2 as I do lol..... and #9 on Dubs is a B**** of a hole
After thinking about it for a little bit, I really loved both courses. Shooting what I did those two days really hurt me mentally, but after thinking about the courses as a whole, I was a fan of both of them. They rewarded shot placement and strategy more than bombing and gouging (that may have been the tees we were playing though). While I wasn't able to place a shot where I wanted all freaking weekend, except for a few drives and irons on hole 3 on #2, I am able to think back and appreciate what it would have taken to score.

I truly wish that I had any semblance of a game this weekend because I did let my play get in my head a bit (more than a bit actually) and focused more on that than I did on how cool the experience was. As others have said, #2's greens were surprisingly slow and man were they soft. Expected more roll out than I usually got and that made me have some LOOOONNNGGG putts on some holes (see: 3 putt machine)

Dubs was a fantastic course! I actually made notes for myself on every hole on how I should "properly" play it. I quote properly because that takes in to account that I have an actual golf swing show up that day. Well the swing didn't show up and I completely ignored my notes for about 13 of the 18 holes and it showed on the scorecard. I'd love another crack at it.

#9 specifically on Dubs I played to perfection off the tee and then I got lazy with my second shot and lost it to the left in the long grass and still found a bogey.

Really glad we were able to play there and I hope to visit again! Next time with an actual golf game lol

I saw someone else try this exact shot. Our Grandaddy team practices every possible shot in preparation for December. They'll be ready!!
You find a tree like that at the Hideaway and you aren't on the Hideaway anymore. Now is it possible to find some desert plants that might give you fits, yes it is.

A couple days removed now, and I can confidently say that I miss these guys. What an absolute blast it was to hang out and get to know them better. While I enjoyed the golf immensely; the dinners, the car ride conversations, and just hanging around at the hotel, was the highlight of the weekend.

I've said it before and I will continue to echo it. The absolute best part of these events, and this community, is the people.

@blazinden The Woodsman who became Hasselhoff, as he moved from tress to sand. Great fun match on Sunday, and way to make things awkward for the waitress on Friday :LOL:

@Vader Had a blast on Sunday playing together as well. You hit some BOMBS with the driver, and had me making 634 loops at the airport to pick you up. Both were fun to watch.

@93civiccpe Car ride convo's were the best, thanks for the bourbon, and next time say the elevator is full!

@Afizzle2100 looking forward to getting in a round with you before December!!!

@RealPretendPsychic what a blast playing with you! Still the best shot I have ever seen out of that zebra grass!

@Tevenor so much laughing. And thanks for dusting me on the second 18 Saturday, literally and metaphorically...

@Muchmore18 roommate, teammate, and best ****** cheerleader I could have asked for. I'm ready to watch Ready Player One again.

@Iceman! @jmix18 @KY Golfer thank you all for jumping in and filling the spots. So glad you could join us, and help make this an incredible weekend.

@MattyD-MPLS Cap, thank you for everything you do, and everything you did to make this weekend truly amazing. I know there were some challenges, but we appreciate you and will kool-aid man run through a wall for you!

I am soooooooooooooo pumped to fill out the Grandaddy team, and spend time with this group in December!!!!!!!

After thinking about it for a little bit, I really loved both courses. Shooting what I did those two days really hurt me mentally, but after thinking about the courses as a whole, I was a fan of both of them. They rewarded shot placement and strategy more than bombing and gouging (that may have been the tees we were playing though). While I wasn't able to place a shot where I wanted all freaking weekend, except for a few drives and irons on hole 3 on #2, I am able to think back and appreciate what it would have taken to score.

I truly wish that I had any semblance of a game this weekend because I did let my play get in my head a bit (more than a bit actually) and focused more on that than I did on how cool the experience was. As others have said, #2's greens were surprisingly slow and man were they soft. Expected more roll out than I usually got and that made me have some LOOOONNNGGG putts on some holes (see: 3 putt machine)

Dubs was a fantastic course! I actually made notes for myself on every hole on how I should "properly" play it. I quote properly because that takes in to account that I have an actual golf swing show up that day. Well the swing didn't show up and I completely ignored my notes for about 13 of the 18 holes and it showed on the scorecard. I'd love another crack at it.

#9 specifically on Dubs I played to perfection off the tee and then I got lazy with my second shot and lost it to the left in the long grass and still found a bogey.

Really glad we were able to play there and I hope to visit again! Next time with an actual golf game lol
The 2nd and 3rd week of July it rained about 12 out of 14 days so the greens probably weren't where they should be. #2 isn't lighting quick at all but sounds like should have been much faster than what they played

Like you said, the tees are key to how you're gonna score (or not score!) at either course. I play the black's at #2 and the gold when I play Dubs. Playing gold at Dubs brings the fairway bunkers into play on my tee shots. If I play blue I can hit over the traps most of the time and take away from the strategy part. It makes a huge difference

Im at #2 this saturday and already having nightmares about #10. Absolutely hate that hole. Im thrilled walking off there with a 5

So overall how did you guys like #2 and Dubsdread?? What were the highs and lows of each course?.... #2 is a very underrated course and for alot of regulars there its the favorite course of the 4

I liked both of them a lot. They both remind me of the better courses I play here as they are all old-school tree lined courses, with tons of risk / reward decisions and always some tech holes thrown in to test your ability to make a shot happen. When there are open holes, there is rolling hills and long grass and bunkers to protect from what we would call nowdays bomb and gouge. Considering I was playing both for the first time, I felt pretty comfortable at each.

Ravines I liked as a fun playable course. I could play that every week and have fun even if my game was off. When it is really on, I could see the ability to score really low being there. Hell, I watched @MattyD-MPLS and @xThor birdie 5 times in the first 4 holes between the two of them.

Dubsdread I want a second shot at. I shot 82 but damn I left so much out there. I started off birdie, par, bogey ( penalty to the right ), bogey (lipped par putt. birdie. Missed a couple of easy putts and I think I ended up in 8 or 9 bunkers during the day mainly from coming up like 3-5 feet short on approach shots instead of going long and putting back to the pin ( vs pin hunting ). This course jazzed me up more from a "go make some shots happen" perspective than Ravines but Ravines is a more playable course over and over.

judging by the score cards it seems most of you had the same problems on #10 on course 2 as I do lol..... and #9 on Dubs is a B**** of a hole

#10 was easy. 6i, 9i got me there from the whites. Just don't miss the fairway or the green. :D

Yeah man, that morning round was a real test of patience. Sure I cracked a few times, as any human would, but by the end, it was just comical.

Thankfully, the afternoon round got a little better.

God it was fun though.

I enjoyed having you as a partner Saturday. In the morning we held on and played well enough to have a great match and in the afternoon you carried us when I faded with the heat!! I would love to play there again with slightly cooler temperatures and a more consistent swing!!

I enjoyed having you as a partner Saturday. In the morning we held on and played well enough to have a great match and in the afternoon you carried us when I faded with the heat!! I would love to play there again with slightly cooler temperatures and a more consistent swing!!

You too!

I have been trying to recover from the exhaustion of this weekend and haven’t been able to get to here to make a recap post.

This weekend I had the time of my life hanging out with this awesome group of guys and am very thankful to be a part of this. I know we appreciate everyone that followed along and hope it was fun for anyone who did.

I started out playing very good golf on the Ravines course through the first 7 holes. I then had a bad hole on 8, a horrible break with my tee shot on 9 that may have led to my worst hole of the weekend, and another bad break on 10.

from pretty much there on I was fighting my swing all weekend. I myself have never played 36 holes in a day so I knew I was in for a grind. However I did not expect to be feeling the effects of it so early in my 2nd 18 and so harshly the last 18. I had some great holes, some great shots, some great putts however they were not paired with enough consistent golf. I made a natural birdie in every round which was very satisfying, and I finally won a THP related match although I just rode the back of @blazinden . however it’s still a combination of disappointing and embarrassing to play bad golf for 75% of a golf trip. As well I found myself taking way too many penalty shots. I think I lost somewhere between 12-14 balls and that was without losing a ball until the 9th hole of the day.

I played my one of the worst golf rounds of my life at Dubsdread and that kills me. I was excited to golf my ball around that course and my legs and my back just never got loose enough to get a fundamental swing going. I feel bad because I was in a terrible mood as a Cartner to @MattyD-MPLS but I promise I still had a great time lol. He did great of keeping me positive and made sure I didn’t have to worry about scorecard updates when things were going south.
I can’t thank Matt enough for putting this together. Not to mention getting to watch him hit a golf ball was a whole lot of fun. It was so great getting to meet the people i am going to get to experience golfers paradise with. The jokes, the dinners (the appetizers), the car rides. Everyone got along like we’ve known each other forever and it was awesome. my excitement to meet the rest of our teammates and get to December has essentially doubled for me.

I got to play
3 rounds against @jmix18
2 rounds against @KY Golfer
1 round with @Iceman!

@jmix18 is a phenomenal golfer and a really great guy. When driving it well he’s a scratch golfer. He was a great person to spend 3 rounds with and especially fun to compete with. Unfortunately it’s not easy competing against someone much better than you lol.

When it comes to @KY Golfer it may be the Midwest vibe but he’s just like a lot of people I play back with at home. An absolutely great person that you can’t have a bad time golfing with. Him and I both were playing much less than our best golf and just shooting the stuff with him and watching him have stretches of some phenomanal golf shots and putts made it very clear why he is one of the most popular guys on the forum. Well that and the Grade-A bourbon lol. I can’t wait to tee it up again with him.

@Iceman! was a great first partner. He gave me great advice about the Grandaddy and the courses at cog hill. For a guy his age I thought he did very well playing from 6600 yards, and enjoyed our round very much! I wish I could have played better for us, but so life goes.

@RealPretendPsychic thanks for being such a great roommate! I can’t wait to get out on the course with you so I can take notes on how to play golf the correct way lol

@blazinden I had an absolute blast playing with you. It was a pleasure watching you step up and hitting pressure shots as I kept putting you in tough spots. One of the most fun matches I’ve ever played and I wasn’t even playing great golf. Something about a ball almost ending our lives puts things into perspective lol.

@Muchmore18 it was so fun playing with you. you would fit perfectly into my group of friends here at home and we had a great time riding the backs of our teammates Saturday afternoon . One of my favorite memories of this trip will be our failed 60 foot walkoff attempts on 18 with the crowd and thanks for letting me try and use your lefty club when I needed it. Lol

@Tevenor @93civiccpe @Vader @xThor on one hand I’m upset I didn’t get to play with you and on the other I’m very happy you didn’t have to witness the 💩 show that was my swing. I drove two of you to and from the airport and got to have great convos and the car rides and dinners and drinking in the hotel was the best part of the trip for me anyway. I can’t wait to get to spend more time with you all in Cali and hopefully we can get a round in either there or in the case of Neil here in a few months.

I have decided I need to get some lessons and get in better shape before December and I need to get in the lab now. Cali can’t come soon enough!

Last edited:
Back