Graphite shafts in wedges?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Do any of you guys use graphite shafts in your wedges?

Sometime back I bought 3 new Vokey wedges, basically GW, SW, and LW. I have not hit these wedges good and I think I figured out why today. My irons are UST Mamiya Proforce V2 and that makes for light irons. I was hitting my 9 iron and my PW and then thought I might as well hit my Vokeys some.

Today is the first day that I realized how much heavier the Vokey wedges are than my irons. Not sure why I did not notice this before unless it is because I just don't use them as much, but I think this is why I am struggling duffing those wedges on some of my chip shots. I did the same thing off the mat today with the wedges and not once with my irons. The entire weight throughout the swing is different. I had to adjust my swing for the extra weight.

I am getting fitted this week for my irons so I will see how it goes before I do anything with my wedges. I imagine I can learn to adjust for the difference in the clubs but I will have to remember when I am playing.

Yup. I have Recoil wedge shafts in mine. Love them.

I've had a graphite shaft put on my 56*. It is amazing the amount of difference there is between the steel shaft and the graphite shaft I have in my 56* now.

I have a SW with a stiff i95 shaft in it that rotates in and out of the bag. Plays absolutely as stable and consistent as steel but with nicer feel.

Funny, all my clubs are graphite except my wedges, those are steel. I like the way the sand wedge reacts in the sand vs the graphite. My other two wedges I would prefer in graphite.

If you have graphite in your irons and full swing your wedges than it might be worth playing the same or similar shafts in your wedges.

If you don’t full swing one or more of them it may not be as noticeable.

95 Proto in my irons
Proto Wedge in my wedges
F4 flex? I went to my local CC to discuss getting the Wedge Protos installed in my RTX4s and the fitter was adamant that everyone should be a flex down in their wedges, and since my irons are F4, he wanted to put me in F3. It was not a fitting, just a conversation, but it has left me debating what to do.

I have never played graphite irons or wedges. Curious to try them out and see if it feels different

I am contemplating graphite in SW and LW. Everything else in the bag is graphite.

I would love to be hitting graphite in my irons. I honestly don't know enough about it or anyone locally who specializes in graphite, but was recently fitted into DG X100, but am pretty sure my golf career (lol) will be cut short if I don't figure out a swing/accompanying clubs I can continue to play in the future. (54yo and returned to the game about 5 months ago).

Perhaps starting with the wedges would be the way to go.

Yes. Recoil's in current wedges, Rotex in the CBX2's I have on order.

12 of 14 clubs in my bag are graphite. I have had graphite irons since 93. Wedges have been graphite mostly for about 10 years....I never understood why so many have lighter graphite thru their irons and then have dynamic gold steel in their wedges...My lob wedge has steel putter steel...Turn it around....Why doesn't anybody and I mean anybody...tour/ams/anybody have steel in their driver?

14/14 in my bag are graphite (or partially graphite). Full swing wedges, and my 60° which doesn’t get many full swings all have graphite. No noticeable difference in performance, but my elbow hurts a LOT less. (y)

I went to graphite this winter. Have the UST Mamiya 760 smacwrap in all clubs 5-LW. Got an amazing deal on a full set of used, INSTALLED with grips for $110. Hit them a few times.... no pain in the arms, tighter dispersion-No looking back

Thanks for all the great posts. You have really got me to thinking and now I see why I played my other graphite PW, GW, and SW better than I do these Vokeys. I was thinking something really went haywire with my pitching/chipping game ;) I really like the Vokey wedges though, but will just need to get graphite shafts on them. I have re-shafted my own drivers and woods, but never irons or wedges. Not sure what is involved with irons. Should not be bad though.

I like the graphite on the irons and am hoping that when I get my iron fitting this coming week, I can still stay with graphite. A big plus is the graphite is good on my old body. If I mishit, I don't get stung like steel irons.

I have graphite in everything except my 60*. I really only use it for around the green, bunkers, and short pitches so I didn’t feel the need to put graphite in it.

Graphite in my wedges as well. Recoils!

.Why doesn't anybody and I mean anybody...tour/ams/anybody have steel in their driver?
My recollection is that Tiger was the last of the Tour players to have a steel shafted driver and fairway wood. Those relatively heavy clubs helped his tempo quite a bit and he played some of his best ever golf with steel. Once he made the switch to graphite his swing tempo and rhythm suffered. This past year was the first time I've seen him swinging with his best rhythm and tempo since his old steel shaft days

I have Recoil 95's in my irons and wedges. Irons are D1 and wedges are D3. No issues at all.

I’m contemplating going graphite in my wedges this year. Have never had graphite in wedges.

I plan to get Recoils in whatever wedges I get. I have the 110 Proto in my irons.

I was thinking 125s in the wedges. Has anyone gone heavier graphite in their wedges?

I bought a Apex SW from CPO. I had a tough time with it at first. After a few weeks of trying and practicing it’s become one of my favorite wedges. Good enough that I’d consider graphite in a complete set.

Yes. Have been playing Recoils in my wedges for over 5 years.

Back