Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one of my buddies come over and we did a little shooting the other evening. He wanted to try out my Ruger LCP and I wanted to try out his Taurus .22 revolver. We also shot a few .22 rifles. After shooting my CZ 452 and my Ruger 77/22, I think he's in the market for a good .22 bolt rifle.

I had one of my buddies come over and we did a little shooting the other evening. He wanted to try out my Ruger LCP and I wanted to try out his Taurus .22 revolver. We also shot a few .22 rifles. After shooting my CZ 452 and my Ruger 77/22, I think he's in the market for a good .22 bolt rifle.

Have you shot any of the .17HMRs?

Have you shot any of the .17HMRs?

I've got one of the first Savage .17HMR's that came out. It's pre-accutrigger but still shoots great. It's always been my plan to put a rifle basix trigger in it, but I've never got around to it as there always seems to be something else higher on the priority list.

The HMR is a really fun round to shoot though. Shooting cans and bottles filled with water are really fun as they'll pretty much explode. It's also fun to shoot stuff like apples, tomatoes, etc... That little screaming bullet will do some damage.

For squirrel hunting, my choice is actually the HMR's little bother, the .17 HM2. I've got a CZ 452 Varmint and a Ruger 77/22 with an aftermarket barrel that I use. The .17 HM2 has a better range than a .22 and doesn't completely destroy a squirrel's head like the HMR or a .22 mag. Ammo is also considerably cheaper as well.

I would like to have a small caliber rifle like that to plink around with, but like you said there are other things higher on the priority list. The good thing is that I can pretty much always buy guns with the wife's favor. Her Dad and brother have always been hunters and they taught her early on that guns are one of the best investments a person can make. Almost every gun I own I could sell for what I paid for it. Of course that will never happen, but she doesn't have to know that.

Im not sure what brand it is, but im kinda leaning on a 9mil XD(M) pistol. I think its winchester, not sure tho. Might be a smith.

I would like to have a small caliber rifle like that to plink around with, but like you said there are other things higher on the priority list. The good thing is that I can pretty much always buy guns with the wife's favor. Her Dad and brother have always been hunters and they taught her early on that guns are one of the best investments a person can make. Almost every gun I own I could sell for what I paid for it. Of course that will never happen, but she doesn't have to know that.

It's hard to go wrong with buying a gun as long as you plan to keep it for a while.
Case in point: Last year I bought a Browning lever action .22 rifle from a guy that had bought the gun brand new in 1977. He had used the gun for 34 years and still got back at least double what he paid for it. Had the rifle been in better shape, he could have easily tripled or quadrupled his original purchase price.

That being said... unless something is bad wrong with me, I don't see myself parting with any gun that I've had for 30+ years.

Im not sure what brand it is, but im kinda leaning on a 9mil XD(M) pistol. I think its winchester, not sure tho. Might be a smith.

Springfield makes the XD(M). Smith makes the M&P. Both of which I'd like to own... especially the XD or XD(M) in 9mm or .40 cal.

It's hard to go wrong with buying a gun as long as you plan to keep it for a while.
Case in point: Last year I bought a Browning lever action .22 rifle from a guy that had bought the gun brand new in 1977. He had used the gun for 34 years and still got back at least double what he paid for it. Had the rifle been in better shape, he could have easily tripled or quadrupled his original purchase price.

That being said... unless something is bad wrong with me, I don't see myself parting with any gun that I've had for 30+ years.

Me either. Plus, with all my rounds being handloaded by myself and my in-laws, all the guns I own are shooting just like I want them to. We do a lot of long range deer hunting, so once I got the 7MM where it is now it is left alone.

Springfield makes the XD(M). Smith makes the M&P. Both of which I'd like to own... especially the XD or XD(M) in 9mm or .40 cal.
Oh right. There was one at the local gun shop for like $425 used.. I shot one the other day, so nice.

One of the best handguns I've ever shot was the USP 45, such a reliable weapon-i love all HK stuff-I first thought the polymer lower was a little interesting but it really works.

Looked around at another place near Mebane today and found a T3 Lite in .243 - may be mine sometime this fall. I'd like to get another 2 trail cameras or so but I might opt for putting that money towards a nice scope instead.

Oh right. There was one at the local gun shop for like $425 used.. I shot one the other day, so nice.
They also make the XD S it's a 45 acp. Very small for a concealed carry gun.

I have an XD(M) and 2 M&P's. M&P over XD(M) for me. My Springfield has jammed a couple times but never a problem with my M&P's...and one of them has over 10k rounds through it.

I have an XD(M) and 2 M&P's. M&P over XD(M) for me. My Springfield has jammed a couple times but never a problem with my M&P's...and one of them has over 10k rounds through it.

I like both. I personally have a XDM in 9mm and haven't had any issued, and I've ran some pretty cruddy ammo through it, and have shot the M&P's quite a bit.

I liken them both over a Glock. But they are all great.

I am kind of anal about maintenance though. Even if I haven't shot it in awhile it gets re oiled and lubed once a month. Magazines get emptied (usually by shooting it) and then cleaned. Then new rounds put in, then it goes back in the safe.

Don't want a malfunction if I need it.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Anybody shot a TC Venture? Supposed to also shoot Sub MOA out of the box and has the 5R rifling or whatever. Just curious..the guy I talked to on the phone today threw that out as another recommendation for a good gun without dropping a ton.

I like both. I personally have a XDM in 9mm and haven't had any issued, and I've ran some pretty cruddy ammo through it, and have shot the M&P's quite a bit.

I liken them both over a Glock. But they are all great.

I am kind of anal about maintenance though. Even if I haven't shot it in awhile it gets re oiled and lubed once a month. Magazines get emptied (usually by shooting it) and then cleaned. Then new rounds put in, then it goes back in the safe.

Don't want a malfunction if I need it.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Firmly agree with the bold. I have spent some time with Glocks and just couldn't get used to the feel of them.

Anybody shot a TC Venture? Supposed to also shoot Sub MOA out of the box and has the 5R rifling or whatever. Just curious..the guy I talked to on the phone today threw that out as another recommendation for a good gun without dropping a ton.

I have not shot one, but in handling them, they look and feel like pretty good guns. A friend of mine bought one a while back and the last I heard, he really liked it.

I know a few of you guys mentioned how much you loved the .243 round. How about the .308? I know it's basically just a bigger 243 but I've never shot one. I know I can take down any deer in NC with the 243 but I have a few opportunities coming up to possibly travel with a friend West for some different types of hunting (pronghorn, mule deer, etc). Seems for a good all around caliber the 308 is a good choice. And then there's the good ol' 7mag..

I know a few of you guys mentioned how much you loved the .243 round. How about the .308? I know it's basically just a bigger 243 but I've never shot one. I know I can take down any deer in NC with the 243 but I have a few opportunities coming up to possibly travel with a friend West for some different types of hunting (pronghorn, mule deer, etc). Seems for a good all around caliber the 308 is a good choice. And then there's the good ol' 7mag..

.308 is versatile. Not as flat as some for West ranges. Flat enough for avg marksmanship though.

25-06 is a good alternative to the .243. Better energy retention and BC in the 120 grain. Still low recoil. Enough for Mulies or black bear. Wouldn't try anything elk size. Load some 87 grains for varmints. Perfect for pronghorn.

7mm-08 offers slightly flatter trajectory than .308, great BC in the 7mm bullets. Remember Jack O'Connor's stories of his wife taking almost everything with a 7x57 Mauser. That's going back a ways, but his writing was great. :)

Picking nits really. All great rounds.

.308 is versatile. Not as flat as some for West ranges. Flat enough for avg marksmanship though.

25-06 is a good alternative to the .243. Better energy retention and BC in the 120 grain. Still low recoil. Enough for Mulies or black bear. Wouldn't try anything elk size. Load some 87 grains for varmints. Perfect for pronghorn.

7mm-08 offers slightly flatter trajectory than .308, great BC in the 7mm bullets. Remember Jack O'Connor's stories of his wife taking almost everything with a 7x57 Mauser. That's going back a ways, but his writing was great. :)

Thanks man! I'm really leaning towards the .243 using 100g bullets for deer and something around 60-70 for Coyotes this fall. My roommate hunts with the 25-06 and I've seen him kill some very nice deer with it with no issues at all.

I keep trying to talk myself into a 308 or 7mm but I just think the 243 is the way to go right now. If/when I get a chance to go out West and do some bigger hunting I'll look at something in the 3-range.

260 and 7mm-08 are good choices as an alternative to a 308 with a little less recoil

I think that the .308 is just a so-so gun in my mind. There are way too many calibers out there with much better BCs. My Brother-in-law shoots a 25-06 for deer with a 100 grain Barnes TTx and that thing is awesome. He is getting around 3800 fps at the muzzle. My 7MM with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips is shooting around 3600 fps. I would have no problem going for elk with a 140 grain partition from my gun. Funny thing is, that 100 grain out of his 25-06 would still retain more energy than a 140 grain out of mine.

I like both the .308 and the .243 calibers and have rifles in each. Despite the relatively small size of the deer in Arkansas, a lot of the people around here seem to think you need some sort of cannon to shoot them with. It seems like at least 2/3 of the hunters around here shoot 7 mags, .300 mags, .257's or one of the latest super short mags. Why they believe in such overkill is beyond me. One of these days I'm gong to dig out the old VHS of a deer kill I made with a .243 when I was 12 and put it on youtube to so people can see just what the "little" gun will do.

As for the .308, while it's not the flattest shooting rifle out there, the variety of loads availble for it make it quite versatile. Not only that, but for whatever reason, the .308 is one of the most accurate calibers available... and superior ballistic coefficients are worth nothing if you can't hit your target.

I like both the .308 and the .243 calibers and have rifles in each. Despite the relatively small size of the deer in Arkansas, a lot of the people around here seem to think you need some sort of cannon to shoot them with. It seems like at least 2/3 of the hunters around here shoot 7 mags, .300 mags, .257's or one of the latest super short mags. Why they believe in such overkill is beyond me. One of these days I'm gong to dig out the old VHS of a deer kill I made with a .243 when I was 12 and put it on youtube to so people can see just what the "little" gun will do.

As for the .308, while it's not the flattest shooting rifle out there, the variety of loads availble for it make it quite versatile. Not only that, but for whatever reason, the .308 is one of the most accurate calibers available... and superior ballistic coefficients are worth nothing if you can't hit your target.

I agree with that. However, shots out to 500 yards require much better optics and practice. Compensating for the bullet drop becomes difficult. My 7MM is 1" high at 200 yards, dead on at 300 yards, 3" low at 400 yards and so on. 2 years ago I shot a deer at 550 yards. At 500 yards all I do is aim at the top of the back and it hits in the boiler room every time. The reason for the need for flat shooting where we hunt is the average shot we have taken over the past 8 years is around 330 yards. I could use a .308 and be successful there, but it would require more time and money spent preparing. I also have a .243 I take as a backup. The problem with the .243 is at ranges beyond about 350-400. There is not enough energy at that point and the bullet drops much faster out past 300 yards. It is prolly my favorite 200 yard gun though. I shoot 90 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips thru it with lots of success.

I should also point out that we do all of our own handloading, so ammo versitility is really only limited by how much money we want to spend.

Thanks man! I'm really leaning towards the .243 using 100g bullets for deer and something around 60-70 for Coyotes this fall. My roommate hunts with the 25-06 and I've seen him kill some very nice deer with it with no issues at all.

I keep trying to talk myself into a 308 or 7mm but I just think the 243 is the way to go right now. If/when I get a chance to go out West and do some bigger hunting I'll look at something in the 3-range.

I agree with what others have said: 308 is a good round, but nothing 'flashy' about it. The Savage 11 I mentioned in a previous post is in 308 but it never really gets shot.
Given what you have said, I think you would be happy with the 243. The 243 is going to be far superior to 308 when it comes to coyote/varmint hunting. Also, like you said, that gives you a reason to get something like a big heavy 300 or 7mag for when you go out west. You can never have too many guns!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back