Halfway through 2018...are you closer to achieving your golf goals?

I don't think I posted in the last goal thread, but my goals for this year were to play constantly in the 90's, and never (or almost never) be over 100.

I'm doing okay I guess. My lowest round ever was a 92, and I've had quite a few in the 94-99 range, but some corses are harder than others, and high winds can really effect my score. One round had strong enough winds that it was knocking over our push carts and I shot a 112. That was a dusty day. Another aspect that hurts my score is focus. When I play after work I strugle to maintain the mental focus to picture each shot and pick specific targets. I often get tired and lazy then just swing the club toward the fairway. That always results in less consistancy.

So I can't really say that I'm getting closer on the consistency side. I feel like keeping my focus up will really improve my consistency.
Whiskey

Goal was just to break 80.... and I have shot 80 twice now in the last few months. Sooooo close

Goal was just to break 80.... and I have shot 80 twice now in the last few months. Sooooo close

I predict it’ll happen by the end of July!!!

2018 Goals:
1.) I played just over 200 rounds in 2017. Wanted to beat that this year. Winter held on longer than 2017, but I'm right at 90+ rounds already in 2018. Good Lord willing and I should beat the 200 threshold.
2.) Totally and completely conquer the "club ho" addiction that I've had for the past couple of decades. Retired, wanting to settle on a dependable set of clubs that I can play until the body uses up its last stroke. Today, I'm pretty well convinced I'm there. Certainly, seems each day one component of the bag wants to go sideways. Have never owned a set of irons I hit as well as those now in the bag. (Two more sets ready if they do hiccup.) Fairways, hybrids, wedges, and putter all very comfortable with. The driver is the newest addition and has been performing much better than anticipated. Reservedly, believe I'm there with goal #2.
3.) Shoot my age. I'm 71. Will turn 72 in November. My low carded this year is 75. Had a 73 last year. Playing pretty consistently in the upper 70's to low 80's. On any given day, it is easy to see where strokes were lost. One of these days...……… Goal #3 is still out there. I have a few months left to attain it.

Two goals for the year were to get the cap into the 11's by the end of the year (trending to a 12.3 from 13.5 so going in right direction)

2nd was to make improvements in gir and fir over last year. So far this one has been achieved but still 3 months till the end of our season.

Yes. I started pretty shaky at the start of the year and my handicap ballooned to an 18, but after re-applying some lessons, I think I'm getting it back together. I put up an 82 last time out and it was no accident. While I don't expect that to continue, I think more 80's rounds are in my future and my handicap will begin dropping. My goal is a 13.

Yes. I started pretty shaky at the start of the year and my handicap ballooned to an 18, but after re-applying some lessons, I think I'm getting it back together. I put up an 82 last time out and it was no accident. While I don't expect that to continue, I think more 80's rounds are in my future and my handicap will begin dropping. My goal is a 13.

Ha - so no coming back to the Glade for a laugh-a-thon again? Do we gotta be all serious now? I don’t know if I can do that!

(And fantastic - keep up the good mojo!)

I’ve tired to make my goals for the year obtainable. While not a goal I’ve been able to play more golf with my kids which has been going great. As far as playing I’ve been walking a lot more rounds which is something that I’ve wanted to do. Getting to the gym more and have picked up some distance and have lowered my handicap. All of these were goals I’ve been working on. As far as the remainder of the year lower the handicap more, improve short game, have fun and meet more interesting people.

My goal as of 1/1/18 was to pass my playing ability test. I passed it on 3/26. My next goal was to get to scratch. As of 2/1 I sat at a +3.1. The next goal was to pass my prequalifying exam. I’m yet to do that but it’ll be done in July. Another goal of line was to sign an equipment deal with a major manufacturer. I signed on with Mizuno, a company which does not put many people on staff, on 5/1.

Another goal is to play in some Adams tour and sectional events. I plan on signing up for the Adams tour event in Lufkin, Tx in September.

So far this year has been really really good

Sent from HTX

I'm getting closer. The year started off pretty shaky. Hdcp went up a bit, and I just wasn't scoring well. I'm working on some new things, and while it's not yet translating into play, the range sessions are better and better.

Happy with this direction.

Short answer is nope.

#FiberLaunch

I am not to my goals but I knew that my golf season would have a long interruption because of our move out of California that included moving into 2 new Minnesota homes. I’ve only played 27 holes since May 25th and likely won’t play more than a round in the next 2 weeks. After that I’ll be at the course at least 3 days a week until they snow flies!

I haven't been able to play enough to get any consistency, though that isn't that different to when I play all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After loosing my mother last year, my goal this year was simply to have more fun on the course and thanks in large part to joining this site, I’ve actually had an absolute blast thus far. So I’m happy to report I’ve far exceeded all expectations. Oh and I feel great about my game right now to boot. I’m truly grateful for everyday I’m blessed with my health and that of my family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started playing again on a whim with my dad Thanksgiving 2017. At the time I did not know I was getting back in the saddle. We all love to see our families during the holidays but sitting around the house can get stale. There is a nice lake down the hill behind my dads house and we had planned on going fishing. It had rained a lot and it was just too muddy to hike down there. Dad said there is a driving range right down the road, lets go hit some balls. After a decade of not playing at all I was hitting the ball pretty good. We went and played best ball the next day and BAM!! I was hooked again.

I did not set any goals for this year but my return to golf has been better than I could have dreamed. My best rounds were in the low eighties back then although I remember most of those rounds had a mulligan or two involved. I now play my rounds without any mulligans and take all penalty strokes. I shoot low to high eighties every time out nowadays. In less than half a year I have gotten better than ever before.

At first my swing was wonky and all arms, My drives were a lot shorter than before. I am going to be 48 in August and I thought I had lost some distance from getting older. Turns out that when I get my legs, torso and arms all working together I am longer than ever before. I quit golf because I was frustrated with a pull hook. Thanks to THP I have tamed the hook for the most part. The instruction found in these pages has been invaluable but sharing mine and others triumphs and failures has been the biggest help for my attitude and scores. I started a thread called "taking golf too seriously" when I was frustrated earlier this year. That was the turning point for me mentally, by writing and sharing my frustration's the stress of the game just fell off of my shoulders and has not returned.

At the start of this year I just wanted to gain consistency and play near the level I was at before. At the mid point of the year I am way ahead of those goals. My goal for the end of the year is to break 80, I think it will happen but if not I will be thrilled to get close.

At my most frustrated point a member here said "you have to find a way to love golf even when you are playing bad" THANK YOU!!

I LOVE GOLF!! ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!

My goal for 2018 was to stay as healthy as I could and do something to get me more active at home. Not saying I'm lazy, but after grinding a day away at work. The only thing I wanted to do was go home, relax and watch the TV. We are mid way through the year, I've taken Golf back up as a main hobby, and the health thing I'm trying to balance that out.

As far as the rest of the year, Lets just hope that I can continue to stay active, but the main thing is to get my girls into their last year of college and pay for that in order for them to walk away with their degrees with no debt.

Good luck to everyone reaching for your Goals.

NO Im not. More lessons....yet again.
Im just one those people not as lucky as others and who finds golf to be a life long battle in order to improve even a little.

I wanted to be sub 10 hcap & I’m 12.4, so work to be done .

I wanted to break 80 and I haven’t.

I wanted to increase GIR & I haven’t.

I haven’t played much either and my game is decent right now. I won’t embarrass myself in the course, but I know I’ve got room for improvement.

So far so good.

Cap has went from 14 down to 10.6 but now trending to 11 after the last 2 rounds.

I've broken 80 twice.

My chipping has been a big improvement.

Ball striking is better but still missing way too many greens in a given round.

Minor adjustments to the swing which has resulted in better scores and more fun.

Last few rounds went from bad to worse, so, instead of getting better, I have been getting worse. But, I think I found my issue - bad set up, I had too much weight in the heels, vs. weight over the balls of my feet. My last range session was much better. Now, I hope to see it translate to the golf course.

Yes, I'm trending in the right direction. My handicap is at an all time low and the areas of my game I wanted to improve are improving (Short game, short putting, more GIR, mental game, minimizing doubles or worse). I need to practice more to make it stick and gain a bit more consistency, but this season is going well.

I wanted to be sub 10 hcap & I’m 12.4, so work to be done .

I wanted to break 80 and I haven’t.

I wanted to increase GIR & I haven’t.

I haven’t played much either and my game is decent right now. I won’t embarrass myself in the course, but I know I’ve got room for improvement.

There is no shame in your game Mike. I did not know you were coming off a bad ankle injury before we played.

This is what I posted first of the year:

1. Increase GIR by 15% (2017-52%) - 60% of misses were right. Work with pro on mental game plan to take advantage of ball flight and eliminate misses
2. Get my wedge game under 100 yards back to 2016 success; distance precision was very disappointing this year - Get back on trackman and get my numbers documented, then put in reps to get very confident in these numbers
3. Increase my up and down percentage by 15% (2017-42%) - Double practice reps and bring mental process from practice to the course (Also recently realized I was only putting about 60% of my weight on my front foot for these shots which hurt my consistency I think)
Bonus Goal: Win Club Championship - Finished 4th this year but had the lead with 7 to play

My driving and putting were solid this year and want to do what it takes to improve incrementally or at minimum maintain them
I'm confident I'll see my scores drop to the levels I'm shooting for with these goals

Currently:
1. GIR is almost exactly the same. But I feel my misses are a little better. Still need to improve here
2. Significant improvement in wedge game. I'm much closer this year and I can see it in my birdie rate. Up 10% from last year which is huge
3. Not quite 15% improvement here. Nearly 11% better is great tho
Bonus - Championship is in August so we'll see

My driving is about even. Slightly fewer fairways hit, but my misses are closer now. Had more trouble shots last year than this year due to missed fairways. Putting has improved. Dropped 2 putts per round so far this year.
Overall my handicap has dropped to 2.1. But haven't shot par or better yet. I'm nearly there.

Considering playing in the sectional for the US Mid Am just for kicks and giggles

I feel like I'm trending in the wrong direction but I can see some improvements so I don't have my head hanging too low. Came into the season with a 10 handicap and wanted to get it down to single digits by the end of the season. Also wanted to average an 85 score and 32 putts per round. I'm at an 87.1/32 average this year according to GHIN and my handicap crept up to 10.5 as of the 6/15 update. I think I'm trending up because I had to change my grip from interlocking to baseball due to swelling in my middle and ring fingers on my top hand. It's a big change but I'm feeling much more comfortable and I'm able to get more golf in without pain, which is way better than a simple score. Still have hope that I can turn it around and reach my goals before the season is done.

I get to play 3-4 times a month. My main goal is to have fun. Double check marks to me on that front!!!

Back