Halfway through 2018...are you closer to achieving your golf goals?

As I am aging, my goal is to remain in healthy enough condition to get out and play a few rounds every now and then and enjoy time spent with friends and people I meet at the golf course

No. I really wanted to play more golf this year, and we even kind of rearranged our lives to try to make that happen. Unfortunately, weather and scheduling has not been cooperating. I've been to the driving range once so far this year, and have only played 9 holes. Not a good golf year for me so far.

Pretty much. The swing is coming around nicely. I'm a little surprised at that because I haven't had any practice tee time. The last 4 rounds I have hit the ball pretty decently and getting a more consistent ball flight. Distance and accuracy with my irons is getting there. My 3W and hybrids have been good in both areas. I have a comfort level where the ball is going with those clubs. I've started hitting the ball more consistently with the driver but it might go 10 yards farther than my 3W and just seems to die at that point. My short game hasn't come along like the other areas. The ball rolls well off the putter but I seem to be an inch or so off here and there.

All in all I'm happy. I want to play more and need to find a place to practice.

Pretty much. The swing is coming around nicely. I'm a little surprised at that because I haven't had any practice tee time. The last 4 rounds I have hit the ball pretty decently and getting a more consistent ball flight. Distance and accuracy with my irons is getting there. My 3W and hybrids have been good in both areas. I have a comfort level where the ball is going with those clubs. I've started hitting the ball more consistently with the driver but it might go 10 yards farther than my 3W and just seems to die at that point. My short game hasn't come along like the other areas. The ball rolls well off the putter but I seem to be an inch or so off here and there.

All in all I'm happy. I want to play more and need to find a place to practice.

I have found the more range time I put in the worse my swing gets. I practice putting and chipping and let my full swing take care of itself. When I am hitting range balls I am too tempted to tinker around and I am athletic enough to make it work on the range, but on the course it is just not reproducible where as my natural swing is. Some warm up balls is about all I do anymore.

Not really. Not playing as much as I would have liked when I knew I was moving here, but that's slowly changing now that we're enjoying a bit more stability. Hoping to continue to get out more often and start bringing the kids to the course more as well. As for my swing, I like it, but it demands a grip change that I'm not used to, so my bad shots are frequently a byproduct of a good swing, which is tough.

I have found the more range time I put in the worse my swing gets. I practice putting and chipping and let my full swing take care of itself. When I am hitting range balls I am too tempted to tinker around and I am athletic enough to make it work on the range, but on the course it is just not reproducible where as my natural swing is. Some warm up balls is about all I do anymore.

I've always thought that I needed to hit balls to find some consistency. Given that my swing has come around better than I expected without range time, I might become more of a believer in your way of looking at things.

I don't think so, but there are a few glimmers of hope. We'll see how things go over the next month or so.

Moving along slowly, but definitely in the right direction.

1. Made some minor swing changes including putting & chipping grip change.

2. Started the season with some new MD4 wedges and recently bought some Rogue Pro irons. Wedge distances are dialed in and now need to do the same for the irons. Rogue Pros are awesome. My ball flight has never been this high and it’s a good thing.

3. Epic Driver + HZRDUS YELLOW Combo is becoming a weapon vice a liability. Had it SW’ed to match my PW and it’s been night and day.

4. Shot my PB 76 at Coronado with Alex present.

5. Handicap is currently 10.8. Hoping to be a single digit by year’s end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, sadly I've regressed since last season, and it's not from lack of playing or practicing, I'm just not as good as I was this time last year.

Golf is hard.

My goal when I play is to enjoy my surroundings and have fun. My score is truly secondary. I am improving, which is nice, but am having a blast when I play.

Yes, I am achieving my 2018 goals.

Main goal for 2018 was to fix my swing when it came to iron play. Made a correction in my lower body that has really helped me become a lot more consistent of a ball striker. Which has helped to lower my scores until...I developed a nasty pull hook with my driver and woods. Will come out of nowhere and has been pretty devastating the last couple of tourneys I have played in. My all around game has saved some of my scores but they could have been a lot lower if not for the pulls.

I think I am very close to being an under 10 handicap golfer. Just need to tidy up a little bit. My main goal for the rest of the year is to help the NorCal team once again beat the SoCal team at the California Classic.

I'm pleased with where I am at this point. My main goal was just to resume playing after raising triplets. I had the same goal last year, but it never happened. This year is a different story. I've taken lessons, joined a golf league, updated my clubs, and had a goal to consistently shoot below 100 by mid summer and break 90 once. I'm generally shooting sub 100 and shot an 85 a couple weeks back. Everything was working for me that day, but I haven't replicated it since. But I know it's in there.

Well let's see:
I've developed a 2 way miss with driver after having solid year driving the ball last year.
After fading the ball my entire life I've developed a pull or pull/draw with my irons. I'm hoping to cure this by swapping out align grips I had put on in the spring. They were installed incorrectly and when gripped face ranges from slightly closed to really closed.
My hc has ballooned from 11.9-15.8. If it wasn't for decent short game it would be horrific.

Not as fast as I would like but I am moving in the right direction. I've had some good rounds and some stretches where I have played some good golf. I've also had some rounds in between those where it seems I am not making any progress. I'm optimistic I'll get there.

My goal was to have fun playing golf and play more of it. Considering I've had as many rounds this year already as all of last year and I'm thoroughly enjoying my time out there with others: 2018 goals accomplished.

My preseason goal was to break par. It came much earlier than I expected. I shot 72(par 73) on May 5th. Now I’ve set my sights on winning a singles tournament. Now that’s gonna be very difficult. I’m currently a 6.2. I’m actually sitting here developing a practice and workout plan. I have 42 days to prepare.

My chipping needs work. My putting is horrible. My last few rounds have been in the high 70s with 33,39,29,36 and 34 putts. So not good.

And I need to dial in my new wedges for yardages 80 and under.

I have been playing for about 14 months total.

Last March I set a 6 month goal to drop my HC to 22.

I started once per week lessons 10 weeks ago. At that time my cap was 32.0

Today's trend is 24.5

I'm still terrible, but getting a little less terrible as time goes on.

I'm on track so far. With a little luck I think I can hit my 22 target.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It may be halfway through 2018, but it's not hallway through the season yet in snowy New England! Our late autumns are usually much better than our early springs.

My goal remains the same--to play without oxycodone as much as possible. The back and legs are behaving fairly well so far, although my left hand could use some help.

I played my first round in 1959....and it shows, I'm afraid.

Let’s see. My goals were to get more consistent off the tee, find golf courses near me after moving, and play a bunch of golf. So far, I’d say I’m doing ok.

I found a bunch of confidence when I bought my Rogue 4W. My driver took a few cans of act right and has been mostly behaving. Still send one off the planet occasionally, but in the fairway or just off for the most part.

Found A golf course. It’s not the best but it sets up well for target golf. There are more I need to play, but I gotta get settled first. I’ve only played one round and went to the range once these past 2 weeks. Before that I was hitting the course once or twice a weekend and getting out to the range 3 times a week. I might not be able to get back to those numbers, but I’ll get out more than I am now.

Not as fast as I would like but I am moving in the right direction. I've had some good rounds and some stretches where I have played some good golf. I've also had some rounds in between those where it seems I am not making any progress. I'm optimistic I'll get there.

Well said, and this is exactly how I feel about my progress. It’s definitely a marathon, but I think once I get these changes committed to muscle memory I’ll be in good shape!

Let’s see. My goals were to get more consistent off the tee, find golf courses near me after moving, and play a bunch of golf. So far, I’d say I’m doing ok.

I found a bunch of confidence when I bought my Rogue 4W. My driver took a few cans of act right and has been mostly behaving. Still send one off the planet occasionally, but in the fairway or just off for the most part.

Found A golf course. It’s not the best but it sets up well for target golf. There are more I need to play, but I gotta get settled first. I’ve only played one round and went to the range once these past 2 weeks. Before that I was hitting the course once or twice a weekend and getting out to the range 3 times a week. I might not be able to get back to those numbers, but I’ll get out more than I am now.

Ha, I feel you on the FW search! I finally found the right one with my M2 3HL so I’m quite happy about that. Which course have you been playing at?

Ha, I feel you on the FW search! I finally found the right one with my M2 3HL so I’m quite happy about that. Which course have you been playing at?

I’ve played Gunpowder Golf Club. It’s an interesting setup. Links style target golf with long fairways and rough, hopefully due to the recent rains. Plays probably near 5700 from the tips. The greens are a trip. You gotta know the slope or you could hit a perfect shot and end up off the green. Had a bunch of laughs because of that.

The driving range I found was pretty ok. Concrete under the target carpet, so it takes some creativity to hold the “greens”. Double decker outdoor hitting bays. It was a good time. It held my interest better, but my distances haven’t normalized yet.

I’ve played Gunpowder Golf Club. It’s an interesting setup. Links style target golf with long fairways and rough, hopefully due to the recent rains. Plays probably near 5700 from the tips. The greens are a trip. You gotta know the slope or you could hit a perfect shot and end up off the green. Had a bunch of laughs because of that.

The driving range I found was pretty ok. Concrete under the target carpet, so it takes some creativity to hold the “greens”. Double decker outdoor hitting bays. It was a good time. It held my interest better, but my distances haven’t normalized yet.

Damn, we never did get to play before you left! Sounds like the course makes up for being shorter by having tricky greens. The great equalizer .

Damn, we never did get to play before you left! Sounds like the course makes up for being shorter by having tricky greens. The great equalizer .

I know. I was kind of disappointed the two guys responsible for keeping the golf shops in Hawaii in business didn’t get together. Take away the strength of length and I struggle bad. Driver twice, 4W 2-3 times, everything else was hybrid and below. Forced carries of 280+ with movement or fairway up to 250. Small, tricky greens play defense there.

The only goal I set was equipment related...once I started breaking 90 consistently was planning on getting new irons. Have broken 90 my last 3 rounds, and if it weren’t for mental mistakes would be in the low 80s.

Started the year not even able to consistently get the ball airborne (as the Titleist event guys witnessed.

Right now just want to keep up the decent form and continue to have fun.

Back