The comments he made were in poor taste - essentially diminishing the LPGA tour. The PGA Tour, as sponsor of the radio show, certainly has to decide if that's the image they want to project.

Agree with the article that the vilification of Haney as a person was over the top.

Here is my take...

What he said was not untrue, but dumb. If it was a discussion had privately then sure, go ahead. But if you are on the radio and saying that... how do you not know in this day and age that it is not going to be taken poorly?

But that article is something else, guy said something dumb, he isn't proposing genocide. And this is the problem with the current outrage culture, everything is the worst thing that ever happened, even if it isn't the worst thing happening in the last 5 seconds.

And that is why I enjoyed the article. Hearing someone like Brennan say that Haney should never be allowed on a golf course anywhere in the world and she writes for the 3rd largest paper in the world is troublesome, but pretty par for the course for most media like hers.

No but if you are a walking billboard for a company that sponsors said organization and women named Lee and other Korean players you might want to not down play them. Companies tend to not like people they pay to make them look good, talking crap about their athletes.

Except he didn't downplay them. He said they were so talented that a Korean would probably win.

Here is my take...

What he said was not untrue, but dumb. If it was a discussion had privately then sure, go ahead. But if you are on the radio and saying that... how do you not know in this day and age that it is not going to be taken poorly?

But that article is something else, guy said something dumb, he isn't proposing genocide. And this is the problem with the current outrage culture, everything is the worst thing that ever happened, even if it isn't the worst thing happening in the last 5 seconds.

I agree the outrage is overblown. He did open himself up for it so, he gets what he gets. Sirius/XM and Callaway are private companies and they will handle it as they see fit. Michelle Wie I am sure took offense as she said, but USA Today was way over the line.

Except he didn't downplay them. He said they were so talented that a Korean would probably win.

This. I think the generalist idea of the mob mentality, which is touched on again in the story in the first post is that most here didn't hear the Haney comment.

Tiger's acts were certainly worse than Haney's words yet Tiger didn't lose his job. He should know better than to offer an opinion.

Nobody said it was.

And I will reiterate my take, Haney is paid to talk about golf and flippantly admitting he knows nothing about the LPGA is a problem for me. Ive listened to his program a number of times and his golf commentary quite honestly is mediocre at best.

He's famous for being Tigers one-time coach and nothing else.

I'm so over this politically correct world we live in today!! All it takes is one feeling to be hurt and all hell breaks loose.

But it is the world we live in now so People have to be aware of their comments and actions before spoken or done.

He did downplay them. He said he didn't even know the tournament was coming up, said he couldn't name 6 women, and then said some Korean named Lee. It's not always what you say but how you say it. Sure he spoke a fact a Korean named Lee would probably win, but it's not always what you say but how you say it. I learned that the hard way changing career paths. I think the outrage is way overblown, but people say he was dismissive, or making a lame terrible joke in an asshole manner aren't wrong.

These 2 shows going on today have nothing to do with the PGA tour

Golf School with Jim McLean and Jeff Warne Jim McLean, owner of the world renowned Jim McLean Golf Schools, and fellow PGA professional Jeff Warne are here to help you with your golf game. Call in to get help with your hook or slice from two of the best instructors on the planet.

The Dewsweepers Looking to improve your golf game? Join host Tony Ruggiero as he offer tips, advice and helps you improve your golf game on this instructional show

Last edited:
He did downplay them. He said he didn't even know the tournament was coming up, said he couldn't name 6 women, and then said some Korean named Lee. It's not always what you say but how you say it. Sure he spoke a fact a Korean named Lee would probably win, but it's not always what you say but how you say it. I learned that the hard way changing career paths. I think the outrage is way overblown, but people say he was dismissive, or making a lame terrible joke in an asshole manner aren't wrong.

He didn't downplay them. He downplayed his interest in the tour, not the tour in general and certainly didn't downplay any Korean players.
Genuine question. Did you listen to the show?

Nobody said it was.

And I will reiterate my take, Haney is paid to talk about golf and flippantly admitting he knows nothing about the LPGA is a problem for me. Ive listened to his program a number of times and his golf commentary quite honestly is mediocre at best.

He's famous for being Tigers one-time coach and nothing else.
I can understand it being a problem for others, for me it is not. He's entitled to his opinion just as anyone else is.

He should've known better, imo, just as Tiger should know better to offer an opinion on this matter. But I see both as harmless really and disagree with the uproar.

Why does Haney have a show on Sirius as opposed to, say, Butch Harmon or Sean Foley? Could it be because Haney is in fact opinionated? I don't know; just asking.

One more interesting tidbit that is lost in this whole thing.
The channel Hank Haney is on is called PGA Tour Radio.
He is supposed to speak to the PGA Tour, their players, their tournaments and the rest of his expertise.

He didn't downplay them. He downplayed his interest in the tour, not the tour in general and certainly didn't downplay any Korean players.
Genuine question. Did you listen to the show?

I listened to about 5 minutes of it when the whole thing came out. I wanted context of it not just the 30 seconds of it. His tone to me was like ohh really they have a big tournament didn't even know. He was flippant about the whole thing, and USA Today and others took it way out of line.

He should have a cursory knowledge of the top 5 or so players on the LPGA, PGA, and Champions tour and know when their majors are at least. He just was like who cares, not even worth knowing about and some Korean named Lee. I am not outraged by it or even really care because I am not a fan of his, but he basically was like they aren't even worth knowing about and that is downplaying the whole tour to me at least.

He is supposed to speak to the PGA Tour, their players, their tournaments and the rest of his expertise.

So then that channel would only host PGA content then correct? They don't though they have hosts talk about growing the game, game improvement, interviews with tournament players from not just the PGA tour but Web, Champions, LPGA. It doesn't hold up on that end.

I listened to about 5 minutes of it when the whole thing came out. I wanted context of it not just the 30 seconds of it. His tone to me was like ohh really they have a big tournament didn't even know. He was flippant about the whole thing, and USA Today and others took it way out of line.

He should have a cursory knowledge of the top 5 or so players on the LPGA, PGA, and Champions tour and know when their majors are at least. He just was like who cares, not even worth knowing about and some Korean named Lee. I am not outraged by it or even really care because I am not a fan of his, but he basically was like they aren't even worth knowing about and that is downplaying the whole tour to me at least.

Why should he have knowledge of a subject that he is not instructed or normally necessary to speak on? He is on PGA Tour Radio, hired to discuss that tour, it's players, the courses and the golf swing. All of which he does rather well. And I say all of this as someone that is not a Haney fan at all.

He was asked about a subject that he doesn't care about and said so. While I think he could have worded it better, there is nothing he said that should have been a trigger for what has come. Not even remotely close.

Perfectly outlined in the article in the 1st post is that Brennan went on a crusade about female golf and sexism and she hasn't written a single piece on the LPGA or players all year long including leading up to this hugely important event as it has been called.

If that is the case why was the LPGA even brought up then on his show. Should have just stuck to the PGA tour talk.

Ben Weinrib of Yahoo Sports is a dishonest hack.

Hank Haney doubles down on racist remark, saying prediction was 'based on statistics and facts'

Golf commentator and swing coach Hank Haney was suspended last week for his racist and sexist comments about the LPGA, but he’s making it clear his apologies have not been sincere.

Opinion stated as fact.

After initially making comments on his SiriusXM PGA Tour Radio show belittling...Korean golfers...

...by picking a Korean to win.

A very good read.

Why should he have knowledge of a subject that he is not instructed or normally necessary to speak on? He is on PGA Tour Radio, hired to discuss that tour, it's players, the courses and the golf swing. All of which he does rather well. And I say all of this as someone that is not a Haney fan at all.

He was asked about a subject that he doesn't care about and said so. While I think he could have worded it better, there is nothing he said that should have been a trigger for what has come. Not even remotely close.

Perfectly outlined in the article in the 1st post is that Brennan went on a crusade about female golf and sexism and she hasn't written a single piece on the LPGA or players all year long including leading up to this hugely important event as it has been called.

Again I agree USA Today was way out of line. He could have simply stated I don't know or worded it in a way that didn't come off the way it did, he could have even said that isn't the purpose of this show. Instead he made some off the cuff stupid joke and it fell flat and came off like an ass.

Did anyone else realize there were SIX Lees on tour? When I seen the Lee6 on TV...I was like...the fu?? Then when I read about it I was like damn I didn't realize there were 6 of them.

Did anyone else realize there were SIX Lees on tour? When I seen the Lee6 on TV...I was like...the fu?? Then when I read about it I was like damn I didn't realize there were 6 of them.

Not just 6 Lees but 6 with the exact same name. That was very interesting to learn.

Hank Haney Story

It’s more than just having six Lee’s having the same last name on tour......there are six Jeogeun Lee’s (same first and last name).

Not just 6 Lees but 6 with the exact same name. That was very interesting to learn.

It’s more than just having six Lee’s having the same last name on tour......there are six Jeogeun Lee’s (same first and last name).

That is crazy! I seen the 6 and I was like.......wtf am I missing here......

There are 6 players on the Korean tour with the same name (Jeongeun Lee) so they numbered them all based on age, with Lee6 being the youngest of the bunch.

Great article! I especially like the "fell aghast on their fainting couches" comment. It is amazing how you can't point out a group of people who are good at something (a sort of compliment in fact) without people getting offended. And I love that a Lee with a number attached to her last name won the Open!

Back