And I love that a Lee with a number attached to her last name QUOTE]

Im surprised someone hasn't been offended about that either!

The fact that he was naive to expect backlash in today's world is more ignorant than what he actually said, IMO.

They even have it on the Callaway site as Lee6.

And the @Callaway and @Odyssey twitter accounts appended 6 to the company names this morning, as has at least one other guy who has CG at the end of his handle.

Just to add a point of clarification to the whole Haney stating a fact bit, he didn't state a fact. He made a glib remark, prediction, what have you, that came true. Big difference.

The best part of the article linked (despite many not reading it) in the first post is that Brennan hasn't written a single piece on the LPGA.

She seems like someone who knows the manager’s name before she ever sits down at a restaurant. I bet her and Karen Krouse are great friends.

He could have said he doesn't follow LPGA golf well enough to even make a prediction, which would have been accurate though a poor indictment of the idea that he's a golf commentator worth following. I think some of the pearl-clutching generated in response is a bit overblown, though. Heck, the fact that people are still OK going to the Masters given its history is proof that outrage in the golf world is pretty selective.
His decision to apologize, but then double-down in writing after Lee6 won is proof someone should take his Twitter account away.

Trying to think of the most common American name on a tour. Maybe Justin Thomas. Kinda crazy if we had Justin Thomas 3 lol

Does anyone have a link to the audio of the comments when they were made. I can't seem to find it anywhere but then again it was only a 30 second Google search.

Haney only has that show to complain about the USGA, reminisce about the Tiger days, and push his pain cream.

His comments were dumb, he was being a jerk, and then trying to act like be was making a legitimate prediction after the fact makes him more of a jerk. I don't think he is some crazy xenophobe but If he was trying to make a point about the dominating presence of Korean golfers in women's events, there are lots of better ways to express it.

For someone who is paid to be a golf analyst, he should know better than to be so dismissive of the LPGA. Apparently he isn't interested in coaching any female golfers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trying to think of the most common American name on a tour. Maybe Justin Thomas. Kinda crazy if we had Justin Thomas 3 lol

Well, even by definition of "common" American names, you still are talking about a very small percentage of surnames in the US. The top-5 most common surnames in the US combine for less than 5 percent of American family names. By comparison, the 4 most common Korean family names account for almost half the Korean population. Add in that given names are also structured by custom and law and you end up with a situation where many, many people of roughly the same age and sex have the same names.

I can forgive Haney's ignorance -- intentional or not -- of Korean naming conventions, though the end result makes him look very dismissive of Korean women golfers. His very intentional ignorance of the LPGA is far more frustrating, because the dismissive attitude he adopts toward women golfers is echoed in a thousand locker rooms and clubhouses in golf, frequently by the same people who complain about membership fees going up and courses shutting down.

One more interesting tidbit that is lost in this whole thing.
The channel Hank Haney is on is called PGA Tour Radio.
He is supposed to speak to the PGA Tour, their players, their tournaments and the rest of his expertise.

I think this is a great point. I don't get the "he gets paid to comment on golf" argument at all, given that his show is on PGA Tour radio and has nothing whatsoever to do with the LPGA. If one of the guys on Inside the NBA says he can't name six players in the WNBA, has he done something wrong because he's paid to comment on basketball?

On the other hand, I can absolutely understand why Callaway might take issue with his comments (I don't know if they have, at least publicly). They are great promoters and supporters of the LPGA and its players and they pay Haney to be an ambassador for their brand as a whole, not just the part he's interested in. So I can see how being flippantly dismissive about something the brand supports would be a problem.

IMO, if people took what Haney said to be sexist or racist, based purely on the words spoken, that speaks more to the people making the claim than Haney.

Oh come on, he was being a dick and got called. Why defend him?

He should know better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Oh wait, you also make your living commenting on other people's work...makes sense

Oh wait, you also make your living commenting on other people's work...makes sense

Who is this is reference to?

Hank Haney Story

I’m not sure who this is directed at, but I think the thread has been a rather good conversation and the link in the first post does a decent job at illustrating how wrong critics like Brennan are and we’re

Brennan was tweeting up a storm on Friday. She also made an appearance on SiriusXM:

Channel 126 is Urban View.

:confused2:

Interesting, I have been on this forum for many years and never get more than a one sentence response from @jb.
I was referring to the post above about the people commenting on Haney by a blogger person, who I have no beef with but getting a rise gets clicks for that person.

I personally am not very offended by much of anything and what haney said was most likely done tongue in cheek but came off wrong, should he be burned at the stake? No of course not but sometimes public people that make their living talking about others should stop and think before voicing their opinion.

haney plays the part of (and probably is) the old curmudgeon. i think his comment of "6 lpga players" was meant more for emphasis than actual truth. my guess is he probably could name 6, but maybe not 6 in the top 10?

i do bet he can't name 6 guys on the web dot, or latin pga, or asian tour. and he probably doesn't know who is at the top of the race to dubai. tbh, i don't either and i love golf. i don't think he has a responsibility to know that kind of thing.

i get that the ladies work just as hard, and have a ton of talent. and i can see the argument that haney as a recognizable figure should be an ambassador, not perpetuate barriers to entry. but i have a feeling his show would see a dive in ratings if he devoted a lot more time to talking about the lpga tour.

and come on, tiger's comments are motivated by a grudge as much as genuine displeasure. he was pissed when haney wrote the book, and this was an opportunity to jab back at him.

Interesting, I have been on this forum for many years and never get more than a one sentence response from @jb.
I was referring to the post above about the people commenting on Haney by a blogger person, who I have no beef with but getting a rise gets clicks for that person.

I personally am not very offended by much of anything and what haney said was most likely done tongue in cheek but came off wrong, should he be burned at the stake? No of course not but sometimes public people that make their living talking about others should stop and think before voicing their opinion.

First off that is not true about my responses, but it’s not worth heading down that road.

Second, in response to the Golf Unfiltered post, clicks to where? You are mistaken here.

I’m not sure where this is coming from, but this has been a rather good and clean discussion on a touchy subject. Lots of great content on this forum though for those that prefer other discussions.

I would very much like business cards or a t-shirt that says "blogger person."

And to clarify, as I have said many times before on the website and podcast (that you clearly don't listen to), being a "blogger person" is not how I make my living. That's probably not a surprise to many.

Oh come on, he was being a dick and got called. Why defend him?

He should know better.

Because he's being slandered.

I would very much like business cards or a t-shirt that says "blogger person."

Forum Actions > Edit Profile.

Scroll to Custom User Title. Enter 'blogger person'.

Sorry for the improper wording, no actual offense was intended. Yes I have listened to your podcast and if I am out of line I apologize.
I am in the camp that we (as in most people today) are all too sensitive to ******** that is put out on Twitter, etc. Being old and from the if you earn you deserve crowd all of this just takes me at a lose sometimes.

As to my other comments yes @jb and I need to sit down for an old fashioned and talk about it.

This is my take. His comments on Korean golfers is so cliche and unoriginal I look past it. His willingness to admit to the fact he knows nothing about the LPGA however is inexcusable.

Whey is that inexcusable? He has a show on PGA Tour Radio, not LPGA Tour Radio.

Back