Hardstepping or softstepping

Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
Is it generally preferable to hardstep a regular or softstep a stiff when you want to go in between flexes? If you want a lighter shaft I guess it would be better to hardstep a regular?

You're correct. There are generally 3 steps between reg and stiff. A regular HS'd twice should be equivalent to a Stiff SS'd twice- the difference being shaft weight.

I think...

What is this "stepping" that everyone speaks of?

Tapatalk

You're correct. There are generally 3 steps between reg and stiff. A regular HS'd twice should be equivalent to a Stiff SS'd twice- the difference being shaft weight.I think...
Thanks. So the only difference would be weight? Would the OEM adjust the club head weight in order to maintain the same swingweight?

Thanks. So the only difference would be weight? Would the OEM adjust the club head weight in order to maintain the same swingweight?

I believe so. I ordered my R9 TPs from TM with reg flex KBS Tours hard-stepped once and they came out great. Love 'em.

Stepping is the process of "up shafting or down shafting"
Ie. When you buy clubs or shafts the club maker will put the 4i shafts in the 3iron and so forth for a hard step and a soft step would be a 3i shaft in a 4 iron. Double would be double. Lol
This stepping can only be done with .355 taper irons because .370 shafts are tipped trimed anyway

if i tip a stiff shaft, will it play stiffer? i have a miyazaki 3w c kua shaft that's a 43 stiff (it's just laying around right now), could i tip it to make it stiffer, closer to an x stiff? if i can, i might throw it in the R11s lol

if i tip a stiff shaft, will it play stiffer? i have a miyazaki 3w c kua shaft that's a 43 stiff (it's just laying around right now), could i tip it to make it stiffer, closer to an x stiff? if i can, i might throw it in the R11s lol

Yes it will, but keep in mind that the shaft characteristics (ie. kick point etc..) will also be slightly altered when you do so.

the c kua is a bit higher launching anyway which might take some of the hieght out of it. could be a win/win...stiffer and lower launching. Thanks wenpinow!

I think either way is fine. It might be easier to do 1/3 step either way rather than 2/3 ways. What I mean is if you need 1/3 stiffer than regular, it might be better start with regular shaft with 1/3 hard step than 2/3 soft step with the stiff flex.

Also, depending on if you already have a shaft that you want to modify, then you step it based on your shaft flex.

Tipping 1.5" will increase the flex code number by 1 at each spot. 8631 will be 9742 for example.

Tipping 1.5" will increase the flex code number by 1 at each spot. 8631 will be 9742 for example.

That is great info SW! I this answers a question that I have had.

fantastic info SW!!!...i'm going to be hardstepping the 43s to bring it to an x. +1!!

Back