has the hybrid influx leveled off

I wasn't realy talking of just the club Number but was also making reference to the (hearsay) that each club they use is so custom individually fit for them that many say we are simply not getting the same club when we buy the mass produced versions even if we get them fitted. I don't know how true that is and may often just be assumed but I do wonder.
I believe the last part is mostly people trying to justify how good those pros are. It may true to some extent, but they didn't get to that level with those clubs.

I believe the last part is mostly people trying to justify how good those pros are. It may true to some extent, but they didn't get to that level with those clubs.

Perhaps, but you can find written articles that imply otherwise although still just hearsay as far as I know. of course we all know about fitted shafts, lies, lofts, etc... but the hearsay you can find is also about implying they have different weighted clubs and custom shaped to accommodate where the weight and COG and the other factors are desired. I believe I even read that when viewed close up you can even see the slightly different design. All this is implying that many or at least some of the clubs they are using are not the same as what we buy/order off the shelf from our suppliers. Of course if this is true its not something any brand would want us to know about because that would be like saying the customers are not buying the same clubs the pros are using after all and looks somewhat decieving. So this is something hard to prove I guess. I don't lose sleep over any of this and I know its a bit off track with this thread but I do find it an interestingly curious topic on its own and do wonder how much truth there is to it. Of course prototypes I assume would be out there for the pros to use too but that imo would be something totally different.

Yep. Hybrids are no longer a strange idea and basically everyone has one. It's actually almost becoming irregular to see someone with a 5 wood, because 3 hybrids can basically replace that distance while being easier to hit from the fairway. I know that's what I did.

Thinking more on this, I think it also comes down to distance gaps in ones bag and just what/where they have and/or want them set up. The 3hybrid even if at same loft as a 5wood I don't believe is going to hit as far. More club head mass also with longer shaft of the 5wood probably adds to a significant enough difference in distance. If one finds that hyb easier to hit than of course that may mean more than the distance to him, but again it also has to fit ones bag for desired distances and just where/what gaps he is ok with having in his bag.

My trouble is i'm just hitting my 5 or 3wood as well nor as far and I don't know why. But should I figure out what the heck is going on I will prefer them as for my comfort of distances through the long end of my bag.

Perhaps, but you can find written articles that imply otherwise although still just hearsay as far as I know. of course we all know about fitted shafts, lies, lofts, etc... but the hearsay you can find is also about implying they have different weighted clubs and custom shaped to accommodate where the weight and COG and the other factors are desired. I believe I even read that when viewed close up you can even see the slightly different design. All this is implying that many or at least some of the clubs they are using are not the same as what we buy/order off the shelf from our suppliers. Of course if this is true its not something any brand would want us to know about because that would be like saying the customers are not buying the same clubs the pros are using after all and looks somewhat decieving. So this is something hard to prove I guess. I don't lose sleep over any of this and I know its a bit off track with this thread but I do find it an interestingly curious topic on its own and do wonder how much truth there is to it. Of course prototypes I assume would be out there for the pros to use too but that imo would be something totally different.

And yet KJ Choi won with an of the rack set from Golf Galaxy

I think people are just used to seeing them. I would hate to imagine my game still playing a 3 and 4 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been gaming hybrids since 2005 and I can never see myself going back to 3 iron. I would be open to having a 4 iron in the bag but that is just a maybe. I certainly don't feel that they have been fizzled out by any means. Dare I say they are up. If you look at a lot of pro bags, they are replacing the 5 wood and opting for a hybrid or something similar to that effect. The hybrid absolutely benefits the amateur in more ways then one. Yes I understand that there is a number that do not like them and that really comes down to personal preference. I started out struggling with them and didn't know if I could like them. Once I figured it out, it was game on for me.

I think it's just the norm now. I work at a country club and I'd say almost everyone has at least one hybrid and many more have 3+

Personally I don't have any. Don't like the look of them and have bad memories. I carry a 712 U (2 iron) from titleist to bridge the distance gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think it's no longer a "wow look at that guy using a hybrid". Almost every bag has them and a lot have multiple. I'm more surprised to see how many people are using utility irons or the dreaded 2i....who carries a 2i???
I do and I find it very versatile. The 712U from titleist is amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have been playing the game of golf long enough to remember that a standard set of irons was 3i-PW with a 1i and 2i iron as optional equipment. My current set up is a 5i-PW plus 19* and 24* hybrids. I do not see this combo changing anytime soon.

The jacking of lofts in irons makes the discussion even more interesting when discussing replacements. My current irons are a full club off loft wise from my last set. +/- 1°. It seems to me that many PW from the 20ish years ago had a loft of 50°, now many are 45° and even some 44°.

Use has continued to rise both in sales and on tour. They have definitely not "fizzled" out.

I agree 100%.

Perhaps we don't see combo sets as in the past because the have become a more conventional segment of the market, kind of like with what has happened with wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The jacking of lofts in irons makes the discussion even more interesting when discussing replacements. My current irons are a full club off loft wise from my last set. +/- 1°. It seems to me that many PW from the 20ish years ago had a loft of 50°, now many are 45° and even some 44°.

There's a good reason for this too.

Loft by itself is semi-pointless and doesn't say much. With the new technology manufactures have made launch angles higher and thus reduced lofts accordingly.

Someone else can probably put it in better terms and explain it better than I.

fwiw I brought my 3hyb today instead of my 5wood. Unfortunately the situation to use it only came up twice. Keep in mind havnt used it since being unable to hit it 2 years ago and is basically brand new. Anyway one shot was really good and the other I hit a bit of a low hook but not the worst and was still in play :)

Think i'll continue to see if I can work it back into the bag. But again it does depend on yardages. I knew what my 5wood was however that being said I been struggling with it as of late and is wy I'm giving the 3hyb another try

Today again I opted for my 3h instead of 5w. Got 4 chances to use it and 2 were really good shots, one so,so and one bad. I think I may stick with it for a while and keep it going.
I wonder what hybrid would be almosr equivalent to a 3wood. Obvious my 3h is being played vs my 5wood but what hyb would be close to a 3w??

I think it's no longer a "wow look at that guy using a hybrid". Almost every bag has them and a lot have multiple. I'm more surprised to see how many people are using utility irons or the dreaded 2i....who carries a 2i???

That would be me. I use an 18*(2i) Utility.

Today again I opted for my 3h instead of 5w. Got 4 chances to use it and 2 were really good shots, one so,so and one bad. I think I may stick with it for a while and keep it going.
I wonder what hybrid would be almosr equivalent to a 3wood. Obvious my 3h is being played vs my 5wood but what hyb would be close to a 3w??
There's not much in the hybrid market that would be equivalent. You'd have to find a hybrid in the 15* range.

On the contrary, they have simply become the norm.

Can't say it better. As someone that has 2 in the bag and is contemplating a 3rd/4th I would say it has become standard fair as opposed to fizzling out.

Back