Has This Ever Happened To You? Am I Over Reacting?

Would I be upset? No...irritated...yes.
They should give you a 9 hole pass to use another time.

I guess the biggest thing I have with this is that after telling you he gave your tee time away, early no less, then you should have been the next group on the box. Now way you should have had to wait another 30 minutes to tee off.
Ok, so I'm not the only one to have caught that. What was the reason given you had to wait another thirty minutes to tee off, @Smryan12?

Ok, so I'm not the only one to have caught that. What was the reason given you had to wait another thirty minutes to tee off, @Smryan12?
Great question. The reason we were 30 minutes behind is because the 4some (including the 2 walk ons) that took our tee time, were on the box with a 4some in the fairway and a 4some on the green, and then a 4some on the 2nd hole tee box. It's a short par 4 to start 330 yards, so waiting to actually tee off you have to wait until the group ahead of you is approaching the green essentially.

Christ, @Smryan12, you weren't kidding when you wrote they were jam packing the course! That's ridiculous, IMO
shake.gif

And 330 yards to the green? One of the guys I play with, we'd have to wait until the green was cleared. I've seen him drive 340 yards.

I have been on both sides of this situation. I walk on often....As a single and have not had one instance where it took more than 15 minutes for me to tee off....I do review tee sheet on line prior to showing up though. Typically, starter guys are not combative types...It's puzzling as all 4 of your time had checked in....Hmmm So I have a bud who was like Mr Everybody knows him....and we use to play together often...We would show up, he'd chat with the starter and we would tee off next....and there were dozens of people standing around....How? He had a special relationship with the starter. Human relationships supersede proper protocol often...................................

Your biggest mistake was not having @golfinnut with you. That way when you got upset he could have gotten more upset!! Lol.

Your biggest mistake was not having @golfinnut with you. That way when you got upset he could have gotten more upset!! Lol.

Oh they wouldn't have gotten away with that with me my friend! Walk On players Never get priority over a tee time, regardless of the situation. That is an inexperienced starter who didn't know his ass from 2nd base. Rest assured, he would have known how to do his job after I was done ripping him a new one.

I don't get how these people get jobs as starters? Just because you play golf, doesn't mean you know 'what' to do when situations like this arise. "Hey, you play golf right? Well you're hired as our starter. Just stand here & look like you're doing something. Then you get free golf. Easy enough, right?"

I'm amazed they accept walk ons, none of the many, many courses here allow them and I'm told they never will again.

You're a good guy to take it in stride, the starter F'ed up but you kept your cool, many would have made a big stink and gotten nothing for it.

Dang... I walk on all the time.. But that is as a solo and I know I am going to get what I get..

The starter seriously screwed up in my opinion. Mainly because you had checked in. If you had not, then you have less claim.

I appreciate your patience. At my course, the starters work hard but every once in a while they forget who the customer is and have to get reminded. As a private course, there is a certain level of expectation on knowing who is on the range, and the members are pretty solid about getting their times right themselves.

All that in mind, I hate what that course is doing, stacking like that - It might solve the short term issues, but it's going to obliterate their long time activity if long time players like yourself are turned off by it.

Oh they wouldn't have gotten away with that with me my friend! Walk On players Never get priority over a tee time, regardless of the situation. That is an inexperienced starter who didn't know his ass from 2nd base. Rest assured, he would have known how to do his job after I was done ripping him a new one.

I don't get how these people get jobs as starters? Just because you play golf, doesn't mean you know 'what' to do when situations like this arise. "Hey, you play golf right? Well you're hired as our starter. Just stand here & look like you're doing something. Then you get free golf. Easy enough, right?"

Seems to me you do not need to know anything about golf to understand a tee sheet and how a line works..

Seems to me you do not need to know anything about golf to understand a tee sheet and how a line works..
Tell that to the numerous starters that don't get it.
  1. What is a walk on?
  2. I have 4 singles, sitting waiting & have a 3-some & 2 twosome's with tee times ... where do I put them? Do I make a foursome out of the singles & take up the empty time slot? Or put them to make 4-somes?
You would be surprised at the stuff going on when you pay attention. :unsure:

Tell that to the numerous starters that don't get it.
  1. What is a walk on?
  2. I have 4 singles, sitting waiting & have a 3-some & 2 twosome's with tee times ... where do I put them? Do I make a foursome out of the singles & take up the empty time slot? Or put them to make 4-somes?
You would be surprised at the stuff going on when you pay attention. :unsure:

hahaha.

Here are my answers. There is always a better way. So take it for what it is. There is always some subjectivity to these things. In some cases there is no wrong or no right.

1. What is a walk on? - Anyone that just shows up and does not have prescheduled tee time.
    1. - Here is where some subjectivity comes into play. There are some variables I think honestly should be considered. The course, is it a muni, a semi private or private? Is it a hard course or pretty straight forward. The starter should be well aware of the conditions and average pace for that course. Does the starter know the players that have tee times? Are the regulars? Would they be ok with adding players to their group of potentially unknown skill level? All those things considered. Here is what I would do. - I would see about adding the 4 players to the 2 twosome groups to make two foursomes behind the 3 some. The 3 some shouldn't hold up the foursomes and that should maintain pace for the groups behind them.

hahaha.

Here are my answers. There is always a better way. So take it for what it is. There is always some subjectivity to these things. In some cases there is no wrong or no right.

1. What is a walk on? - Anyone that just shows up and does not have prescheduled tee time.
    1. - Here is where some subjectivity comes into play. There are some variables I think honestly should be considered. The course, is it a muni, a semi private or private? Is it a hard course or pretty straight forward. The starter should be well aware of the conditions and average pace for that course. Does the starter know the players that have tee times? Are the regulars? Would they be ok with adding players to their group of potentially unknown skill level? All those things considered. Here is what I would do. - I would see about adding the 4 players to the 2 twosome groups to make two foursomes behind the 3 some. The 3 some shouldn't hold up the foursomes and that should maintain pace for the groups behind them.
You are the discretion of the golf course, so you shouldn't have the Choice whether or not you want a single to join you or not. No matter their skill level. I have Never turned down anyone asked to join, as long as they asked politely and don't assume.

You are the discretion of the golf course, so you shouldn't have the Choice whether or not you want a single to join you or not. No matter their skill level. I have Never turned down anyone asked to join, as long as they asked politely and don't assume.

For sure totally agree. This is where a bit of subjectivity comes in. You are not wrong.

I just think members that pay dues even at a course open to the public should be given that option to some extent. Maybe not as a twosome. But if it was a threesome of regulars etc. I think adding one could be a hindrance to everyone. As someone that is not a member any where I would totally understand that and be ok waiting till there is an open spot. Again as a regular walk on golfer I understand I am going to be worked in as it is convenient for the course. Not me.

Christ, @Smryan12, you weren't kidding when you wrote they were jam packing the course! That's ridiculous, IMO
shake.gif

And 330 yards to the green? One of the guys I play with, we'd have to wait until the green was cleared. I've seen him drive 340 yards.
My average drive is about 330. @93civiccpe can vouch. Lol so waiting was inevitable, but scheduling my tee time was strategic and blew up in my face haha!

You've played this course plenty of times I am sure of it as well haha!

For sure totally agree. This is where a bit of subjectivity comes in. You are not wrong.

I just think members that pay dues even at a course open to the public should be given that option to some extent. Maybe not as a twosome. But if it was a threesome of regulars etc. I think adding one could be a hindrance to everyone. As someone that is not a member any where I would totally understand that and be ok waiting till there is an open spot. Again as a regular walk on golfer I understand I am going to be worked in as it is convenient for the course. Not me.
As Chris said, I am totally cool with walk ons getting in where they can. No objection nor would I care if we had an open spot or 2 in our tee time to accept them to play with us. Never have I turned them down. The argument here is that the tee time that they got place in was full already, on a PACKED day. Talking 20+ min a hole. The judgement of the starter was not good and I'm hoping he learned from it to not upset or deter future golfers at this course.

As Chris said, I am totally cool with walk ons getting in where they can. No objection nor would I care if we had an open spot or 2 in our tee time to accept them to play with us. Never have I turned them down. The argument here is that the tee time that they got place in was full already, on a PACKED day. Talking 20+ min a hole. The judgement of the starter was not good and I'm hoping he learned from it to not upset or deter future golfers at this course.

Totally agree. You NEVER Squeeze someone in between groups. That is literally the worst thing you can possibly do for pace. The only thing worse would be to tell the twosome walk ons "Hey drive out to the 4th hole par 3, and just jump on from there. Just jump on as soon the group there tees off"... haha.

The fact that you checked in ahead of time would have me pretty ticked off. I know mistakes happen but the started had you checked in and should know you are there. I wouldn't blame anyone for being upset about it.

As a side note I hate the golfers who book a tee time for 2 and expect to play alone. You want to play alone pay for 4 people.

IMO it shouldn't matter whether you pay dues at a semi-private course or not. Unless it's written in the bylaws that says " you're entitled to have your own groups." If you want that privilege then go to a Private club. Otherwise, your money is just as good as the next guy, even though you might pay more per year for free carts, early tee times, range balls, etc, doesn't give you the right to make your own rules. If you want your own group, get a 4some .... problem solved. But if you have 3 every weekend, you will be subject to having a single joining you.

IMO it shouldn't matter whether you pay dues at a semi-private course or not. Unless it's written in the bylaws that says " you're entitled to have your own groups." If you want that privilege then go to a Private club. Otherwise, your money is just as good as the next guy, even though you might pay more per year for free carts, early tee times, range balls, etc, doesn't give you the right to make your own rules. If you want your own group, get a 4some .... problem solved. But if you have 3 every weekend, you will be subject to having a single joining you.

Fair enough. Like I said there is some subjectivity to this and I can totally see your point. For what it is worth, I agree with you. I would never ever object to someone being added to my group. Ever. I could just see that it being a nice gesture to your regular players. Thats all.

I play as a single quite often and it can be awkward joining a group who wants to play by themselves. I do what the starter tells me so its not like I have a choice in the matter.

Back