Have you ever done an email purge?

Oh man, I don’t even remember that being a thing either.

Early Gmail yes you had to be invited! That's when i got on it....many many years ago!

Yes, invite beta was April 1, 2004
That makes sense. I was in college and that would have been a little over a year before I finished.

Oh man, I don’t even remember that being a thing either.
Don’t worry the first time I heard gmail I thought it stood for gangster mail. Had no idea it was associated with Google till I got the invite.

I have zero emails in my Gmail inbox.

My Yahoo (main mail) box I have less than 30 and the majority of those will be purged after I'm done with the thing they're about.

I'll probably end up with maybe 10 or less in there.

At my old job i was like that, i was famous for it LOL. I wouldn't even take a lunch if i had an unread email

With my job now i just can't keep up, i'm at like 7000 emails in my box lol
The amount I get would scare a lot of people, but it’s also what makes us who we are with in our industry. I wouldn’t change a thing.

the key is having 2 emails. One for stuff related to marketing and one for things really important
Yeah that is what work email is for but I don’t even want to talk about it 🤣

Once a Week.

Every year or so I will dump about 95% but there are still some I want..

My work email is a disaster. I average somewhere around 200 unread emails. I'm almost always driving or working on a roof, so email is not the best form of communication with me. It can sometimes be days between checks.

Personal, I have been unsubscribing since Jan 1, and very few emails stay in the inbox. I don't get a ton to begin with, but I'm getting even less now.

I have zero clutter in my inbox and email in general. Can’t handle red alerts anywhere

I have zero clutter in my inbox and email in general. Can’t handle red alerts anywhere
I actually turned in notification badges for gmail after the purge so I will go clear them bc I can’t let red notifications bubbles stay either

I rarely delete anything

my current gmail account was created March 3 2007 but I had others before that

I've purged my promotional stuff, and will delete out certain stuff that ends up in my inbox, but I'm bad about keeping most of what is in my inbox. At work I generally clean up quite often, but then I'm likely on a lit hold so figure anything I delete is never actually deleted. :/

No need to purge. The anxiety I would have to have an unread email would kill me. I delete as I go and if I start Monday with anything unread it is because I got it Sunday night.

I have less than 200 emails right now between work and personal and half of them are junk from yesterday or today because I haven’t done the purge for today. 79 total work emails to actually follow up on and every one of them is something I marked unread at some point this week to make sure I go back to this weekend.

How do I purge my email? Serious question

My yahoo email box is out of control. I have almost 40K unread emails. I need to just purge it then start taking myself off of a bunch of garbage email lists.

My yahoo email box is out of control. I have almost 40K unread emails. I need to just purge it then start taking myself off of a bunch of garbage email lists.
It feels so good!

the key is having 2 emails. One for stuff related to marketing and one for things really important
I have a "junk" one I use when I need to create accounts on websites, etc., and then one for important/personal stuff. Unsurprisingly, the former one gets tons of spam, the latter hardly any.

I have a "junk" one I use when I need to create accounts on websites, etc., and then one for important/personal stuff. Unsurprisingly, the former one gets tons of spam, the latter hardly any.

Exactly!

Someone thought I was talking about my work email but i wasn't. Two personal accounts. the one I give to friends, my bank, etc gets very reasonable use.

The problem with giving out your personal email to marketing websites is that I'd get so much mail that I can't identify the important vs the non-important and I'd miss key things.

But I’ve had this email since the gmail beta days. I can’t just ditch it at this point it’s my identity everywhere
That is exactly what I thought when I read that post, I was a beta guy. Change? Delete? I think not. But i have run an unsubscribe rein from time to time. Even those i know i have unsubbed from before. My work email is a lot more giddy. Folders and run through first thing in the am everyday

I haven’t kept a single email since doing this. In fact every email that has come in since the purge is marketing spam that I’m slowly but surely unsubscribing from.

I don't even use my yahoo email for much anymore because all it seems to be is spam. Hundreds of spam mails per day. Unsubscribing doesn't seem to do anything. Gmail is getting just as bad but at least they go to the promotions folder and I can just mass delete that every few weeks.

Back