Have you ever lost your mind on the golf course?

I try so hard every time I play to exercise calm but I still have relapses. Not your club throwing kind, but to go over and over in my mind what I did wrong to make that shot go where it went. I try and make it fun and have a good time at it, it works "most" of the time however, there are those head scratcher moments when I look at the club, the target line, and where my ball landed and think, why?

Yesterday. Golfing with my son. I was holding his putter and mine as he rolled some golf balls down a hill. One was going to bounce down the cart path so I ran after it and stopped it. Except his putter hit my putter and put a dent in the face. I lost my mind because I was mad I didn't have the headcover on my putter. I had to tell my son that I was mad but I was not mad at him. Looking back at it, kind of embarrassing.

I myself had a "tin cup" moment years back. I was having issues with my tee game and came to a nemesis hole, with water right and directly in front. After topping 2 directly into the water I decided I wasn't leaving the tee box until I hit one correctly.

...I put no less than 14 straight balls in the water, one after the next just swing drop, swing drop. All remarkably consistent though probably within about 10yds of each other.

I also had a friend in high school get so frustrated, he actually took his bag off the push cart, lifted it over his head, and tossed down a hill toward a pond. I remember laughing riotously later, but in the moment just being thankful that, for once, I wasn't the most frustrated person on the course.

Occasionally I can't get out of a green side bunker, and want pull my 3w and launch it into oblivion. I never have, as I am likely to fat it and still leave it in the trap.....

Absolutely. I'm still not above an occasional minor outburst but back 20 years ago I lost my mind. This was right around when I had my lowest HC ever. It never really upset me if I started out poorly and stayed there or even improved, but boy did it get to me if I had a great round going and blew it.

I was playing Apple Valley down by Mt Vernon OH. It was the first time I'd ever played there and I was playing lights out. I don't recall exactly but I think I was 3-4 under going into the ninth (I think it was the ninth). It was a long par 5 and I'd hit a decent drive but the green was protected by a lake so I layed up. I hit a good layup to where I only had a pretty full SW in. Chunk splash. Drop a ball. Chunk splash. Drop a ball. Chunk splash. This time the SW followed the ball. I only carried a SW and PW then. So now I have to hit PW. Chunk splash. In a fit of rage I grabbed my entire golf bag off the push cart, walk to the edge of the lake and heave ho'ed! The shoulder strap got caught up on me and my throw of the attached to me bag flipped me face first into the lake. I sat there half sobbing and half laughing for a minute or two then started playing again. My playing partners were rolling and I can't say I blamed them.

That's the last time I truly lost my mind on a course. I'm very glad that toss wasn't successful, I might have never played again. I don't know what I ended up shooting that day, likely somewhere around even if you were to throw that hole out, of which I shot a 14.

Back