Have you ever lost your mind on the golf course?

Every once in a while, I get so frustrated mentally with my game that my eyes kind of glaze over.. Like, I struggle to really zone into my game.

I'd imagine it's more of a defensive maneuver from my brain because I refuse to flip out or throw clubs or quit. It happens usually mid summer when it's stupid hot.

I've left after 9 while paying for 18, but it was because the pace was already 3 hours for that. So yeah, I've lost my mind because of that.

leaving because of slow play is entirely fair.

Absolutely agree, and stop in the pro shop on your way out and mention it to them as well.

Nope. I've had times when my brain was a boiling pot of frustration. It was a complete struggle to think and hit shots. But I kept at it.

I did have a playing partner walk off on a hole, no notice, nothing. His frustration was very clear playing up to that point. At first I wasn't really sure what happened to him. I didn't like that. I also had a friend essentially proclaim he was giving up golf during a round. He was 99% gone. I proposed we immediately start playing a scramble together. I also restocked his bag with golf balls. He had sliced away about a dozen up that point. That brought him back.

Admittedly I'm still pretty new at this game, but since I'm in the process of taking lessons and therefore massive swing changes means balls going left, right and center with no way to anticipate, I did have one particularly bad blow up hole and I almost dejectedly (not angrily) let my hybrid club hit the ground, but I stopped myself because that felt like a tantrum. I sucked it up and dropped another ball to try again, and after a few more shots started laughing again.

I did pick up on the 9th (and final) hole on Friday, but that wasn't going crazy, that was literally an endurance-athlete bonking. I'd had 4 hours sleep, a fierce morning kickboxing lesson (burned 987 calories) and didn't replace enough of the calories so by 5:30 pm, I was just physically spent. If it hadn't been the last hole, I probably would have kept going.

Standing here waiting to board a late flight, it dawn's on me that we all may have lost our minds to take up this crazy wonderful game.

Where most of us will never break par and spend countless dollars in the pursuit of something (par golf) that is virtually unattainable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Once played behind a father and son who were playing slow, yelling, not letting me play through and not raking bunkers. Ended up saying something to the dad. Never have been so mad before this or since on a golf course.

I’ve been frustrated and left to hit the range for some work, but nothing that I would categorize as loosing my mind.

Never quit or walked off for any reason. But I have received a 2 stroke unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when I was much younger. That was definitely a moment of "losing it".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've walked off a course once for poor play, and once for pace of play. I was much more upset at the pace of play incident; it's one of the very few times in my life that I thought I was going to be in a fight! Course starter/ranger allowed a fivesome of his buddies to go ahead of everyone, which naturally brought things to a crawl. We had to wait on every single shot!! They wouldn't let anyone through, and the ranger didn't say a word to them about it. Over 2.5 hours later, we get to #10, and some of the fivesome went to get booze. My group tried to play through, but (with the ranger watching) the fivesome refused to budge; I basically told them to go eff themselves, went to the ranger and said the same thing then drove off the course. It's the only time I've truly lost my mind like that.

Oh, and that course is now a housing development. HA!!

Left due to slow play before. Stopped keeping score when playing poorly if by myself. Would never leave if playing with anyone else. Other than that, I’ve gotten mad at bad shots just like anyone else, but I tend to keep fairly cool when with others.

Never ever in my life. Playing good or bad I always enjoy myself. Most of us Hackers need to realize that we PAY to play golf...in my mind that means none of us are that good and we need to enjoy the time we get playing this great game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have.

I have left the course in the middle of a round (by myself).

I had a league partner take every hero shot without regard to the task of trying to win the match, so I gave zero effort, and just walked up and hit shots and putts without really giving an effort.

Only once. Not a tantrum or anything overt but internally I gave zero.zero poops about score.

That was because of course conditions that were beyond ridiculous. Forget the course, it was in Putnam County, NY if memory serves. There were three holes with sloping greens where putts would literally reverse path and roll back to your feet.

I'm talking being below the hole, if your uphill putt even lost steam 1" from the mouth of the cup, it would reverse path and roll 20' or more back to where you started.

I even tried to place a ball down, as if imagining I'd previously marked. The ball wouldn't hold its position without my pressing an indentation into the green.

That's ridiculous, I stopped caring even though I actually made one of those putts for bird.

Twice that I can think of...

Once during a practice round I told myself I was gonna use my 17 degree hybrid (which had been giving me fits) off the tee until I got it right. After five missed fairways and 3 lost balls I quietly snapped the $&@!ing thing in half and threw it in the tee box trash can. Not my best moment.

Last week at the club we had a dollar-a-hole game going. We play that one a lot in the evenings so people can come and go as they need to and it’s understood in our group that you can cash out and leave if necessary before we finish the round.

I played absolutely horribly and despite my attempts to keep a good attitude I gave up on the 7th hole and just mindlessly played it out and contributed my $1 to the pot. I should’ve stopped there but instead I lined up an indifferent tee shot on 8 and promptly ripped it into the woods.

I didn’t throw a fit but instead told my partners that I was finished hitting golf balls for the day but would ride along for the rest of the round and contribute to the pot for the 8th hole since I teed off. Again, not my best moment, but I guess at least I didn’t throw a screaming fit.

in my younger days I would curse throw the occasional club and sulk. Now if a day is going terribly I just stop keeping score and try to figure out my swing.

Never really lost my mind on the course. I used to get upset and slam my driver in the ground after a bad tee shot, but have gotten over that. Now it's just a nice love tap with my clubs after a bad shot and a few words of encouragement to myself about how good I am. I've played with some friends (who I try my hardest not to play with anymore) that throw clubs after every bad shot, break clubs, leave clubs on the course, and one that sat in the cart and refused to talk or move for the last 7 holes one time. I've learned there's no reason to get that upset if you're not practicing/playing every day and getting paid to play.

I used to get real pissed. Still can get angry at myself but not anything out of the ordinary. Heck, the way I was playing to start the year probably warranted more anger than any I showed.

I’ve never thrown or damaged a club, but last night I picked my ball up (actually hit it into the woods intentionally) and didn’t finish a hole. It’s the only time I've ever done that. Hit a bad drive that went OB on a par 5, hooked my next one into left rough, topped my hybrid, thinned my PW over the green and ended up barely OB. Normally in my league that would just be treated as a hazard instead of going back and re-hitting, but I just hit it farther into the woods and told my opponents to give me double par for the hole (league maximum).

The day before, I had six birdies in 18 holes and won three closest to the pins in a Father’s Day tournament, one of the best rounds I have ever played. Last night was my worst 9 holes in probably 3 years. Golfs a funny game.

There are many stories. Some of them witnessed by THPers.

Yes, but not for several years. I took a week off and decided that golf is just a game, it's supposed to be fun. After that, not so much.

~Rock

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Back