Have You Ever Surprised Yourself After Making A Golf Shot

Yes, quite a number of times. I don't do it often, but especially love when I can shape a shot and make something happen, or get out of a rough spot that seems almost impossible.

Holing out from 175 yards on a par 5 for an Eagle. Twenty some odd years ago.

Hitting my first hole in one with my PW from 150 yards last year.

And one of my favorites. Holing a 74 foot putt for Birdie. I was so far away and I had three level changes to traverse. It was such a difficult putt that my playing partner bet me $100.00 that there was no way I could make it and SQUARE the match. Since he was sitting pretty right next to the pin. To add a little pressure.

I took the bet. Made the putt? And made him pay. Right There on The Spot. :drinks:

Everytime I successfully pull off a high driver fade. I posted a video once of my surprise reaction to this phenomenon.

Yes, sometimes I hit some really good shots or bad shots and just surprise my self

It is the best feeling when you hit the shot you intended. I have tried a few shots that I thought had no chance and end up great lol.

I hit a fairway last week :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I hit those shots now and again, but the one that stands out was a 6i approach to our par 5 15th hole over water - I couldn't see the flag as it was tucked on the right side behind the bushes and I was on the right side of the fairway
I knew when I hit the shot it was on line but due to the sun I lost it in flight and didn't see it, but when we got close enough to see the green I saw my ball about 2ft from the pin and I tapped in for my only eagle on that particular hole

Oh Yeah. Every time I try to hit a little draw and goes exactly the way I envision instead of fading or being a hard draw. Always a bit of a cool moment.

Just this past weekend I was playing Par 5 and pulled my drive just down the left side. When got to the ball it had rolled across the cart path and was 2 ft from a tree where i had to punch out, naturally i caught it pure and it flew into the trees on the other side. I hooded a 6 iron through the trees from about 150 and it rolled to 5 felt for a birdie. lol, i t was the only birdie i made all day.

Better to be lucky than good...a few times shots happen and are just very good and go well outside my playing ability.

Whenever I hit a shot around, under or through an opening in the trees, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I used to surprise myself when I managed to pull off a great shot. It's becoming more rare as I have probably pulled off a similar shot at some point. I can manipulate the ball pretty well and get some crazy draws/hooks or fades/slices when I need to. What surprises me more is if I manage too pull off the shot the next time. I'm like a one hit wonder!:laughing:

Whenever I hit a fade that was actually intended is pretty surprising to me. No problem hooking the ball but fading it is a different story.

Many times. I often expect the worse and am surprised when something actually works out like I had envisioned.

That punch out through multiple trees that by some miracle doesn't ricochet right back at me.... surprise myself every time

During the 2018 Morgan Cup during alternate shot I hit a ball from between 2 trees and managed to get it back into the fairway without breaking a club or some body part.
The worst part was that hole bordered the driving range so we spent 5 minutes trying to find OUR ball. :) Good times with @Jimmy3864 It's a shame we didn't video that shot.

Years ago when I just started playing I was behind a tree and had to hit it low under the branches. It was a quick punch out. With nothing to lose I hooded the crap out of the face, played the ball back in my stance and swung to right field. I watched in disbelief as the ball came out low and curved about 20 yards and ran about 130 yards onto the green. I looked around but no one had seen my shot but it was still the neatest shot I’ve pulled off.

Anytime I make solid contact, even on a putt, it’s surprising

Shanks are always a surprise!

I usually surprise myself when I least expect it, usually out of the heavy fescue when I take a long lazy swing (my nothing to lose swing).

Nearly every round now. As one gets older, consistency tends to suffer. I am at the point where I can birdie almost any hole on any course I play, but can also ring up a sparkling 8 or 9 (or higher - yikes). So there are "good" surprises and "other" surprises mixed into every round. Yesterday I hit a 250 yard, gentle draw drive right down the middle on a par 4. Very satisfying. Then I ripped my 3 hybrid dead right into bad stuff, damn near missed the ball trying to get it out of the jungle, chunked a chip somewhere along the way to a seven (made a 15' left to right downhill putt to save the seven). One hole - all sorts of surprises re: what I did on individual shots. Anyone who doesn't surprise themselves a lot of the time must be bored to death.

haha, definitely. During my evening 9's I'll try just about any shot and laugh all the way to the green if I can pull it off.

Especially the ones where I have to carve through or around trees.

Many times over the years while playing a round of golf and making a particular shot have you just kinda go wow I really pulled it of. So has the shot you just made ever surprised you?
Yes. The Gamechanger event with Cleveland Golf at Talking Stick. The Sunday round somewhere on the back 9, I hit my drive in to the dirt right of the fairway. I had 155yds left to the pin, with a whole bunch of trees between me and the green. I had to hit a low draw that would have to start about 20-30yds right of the green, turn over and somehow miss the front greenside bunkers protecting that front pin location. Reason for the low shot is it had to stay below the branches of the tree right in front of me. I hit a punch draw 9i that did exactly as I planned and stuck it to about 10' left of the pin. @MPlefty and I couldn't believe I pulled it off.

Of course in true me fashion I missed the birdie putt. lol

Bunker shot that I couldn't see the hole. I hit it pure and was just trying to get it center of the green.

According to my playing partners it bounced once and dribbled into the cup perfectly.

Back