I can't imagine being there in person and having to deal with it that way. It's beyond obnoxious, and there's almost no good reason to ever be yelling like that at a professional golf event. Everyone who's chimed in about too much beer and jackass mentality is exactly correct, that crap doesn't belong on a golf course. 90 percent of those people are just trying to get attention or a laugh and 5 minutes of fame.

Its been bad for too long now. I watch the European Tour every now and then, and just wish the fans who attend those are the ones we get over here in the States. PGA tour needs to do something about it.

I will say, there's a happy medium though. Not in yelling, but in the crowd having some excitement. Funerals would seem like a rave compared to some of those European tour crowds.

I literally stood next t a bababooey jerk on 7 tee box Saturday after Bryson teed off.

I’ve never wanted to slug someone so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you say anything to him? Ask him why he felt the need to say that?

Golfers need to grow a thicker skin and learn to deal with it just like other players do. It happens in every sport. Considering what soccer fans chant, the things people do at golf tournaments is nothing.

Golfers need to grow a thicker skin and learn to deal with it just like other players do. It happens in every sport. Considering what soccer fans chant, the things people do at golf tournaments is nothing.

And how loud are soccer stadiums compared to the golf course? I get it that it happens at all sporting events, I've done my fair share of yelling at events too but I can bet that the players I was yelling at didn't hear me over the other noise. Head over to the local little league games and yell things at the coaches and players. It's the same volume level as the golf course.

Is it the worst to date? Thats hard to tell only because Fox Sports add more microphones (which i love especially around the greens and in the cup) to a golf course than any other broadcast so it may just stick out more on TV.

Did you say anything to him? Ask him why he felt the need to say that?

I sad what a douchebag as I walked on over to the next hole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are their marshals walking around Soccer Stadiums asking fans to be quiet while play is going on 10 feet in front of them?

I enjoyed all the yelling and heckling. Basketball players can often hear what is yelled and they just have to play on. Golfers should be able to do the same thing. I think the yelling and heckling brings more entertainment to watching it. I think golf needs to be more competitive where we root against certain players. I think we need to grow the game more and make golf less about class and more about having fun. If you are playing a round the main thing should be to take care of the course and not disturb other groups but other than that if someone wants to wear shorts and a t-shirt to the course. Let them. If friends want to talk trash and get excited over shots let them. If fans want to root against the pros and yell... let them. Nothing frustrated me more than when Justin Thomas kicked a fan out for saying "Get in the bunker".

I enjoyed all the yelling and heckling. Basketball players can often hear what is yelled and they just have to play on. Golfers should be able to do the same thing. I think the yelling and heckling brings more entertainment to watching it. I think golf needs to be more competitive where we root against certain players. I think we need to grow the game more and make golf less about class and more about having fun. If you are playing a round the main thing should be to take care of the course and not disturb other groups but other than that if someone wants to wear shorts and a t-shirt to the course. Let them. If friends want to talk trash and get excited over shots let them. If fans want to root against the pros and yell... let them. Nothing frustrated me more than when Justin Thomas kicked a fan out for saying "Get in the bunker".

Happy Gilmore, is that really you?

They already have a place for yelling, screaming, and booze-filled mayhem, it's the 16th at TPC Scottsdale. Golf doesn't need it anywhere else.

Last edited:
Were the US Open fans the worst we have seen to date? Some players have been pretty outspoken. Some media has been outspoken and some have said it crossed the line.

Thoughts?

They were atrocious. As usual, New Yorkers demonstrated their complete lack of class (yes I know there were people there from other states). I tweeted how disgraceful NYers were behaving within the first hour of coverage I watched on Thursday.

Happy Gilmore, is that really you?

They already have a place for yelling, screaming, and booze-filled mayhem, it's the 16th at TPC Scottsdale. Golf doesn't need it anywhere else.

I do not understand why not. There is a reason why that is one of the most popular tournaments behind the majors. The more people who view the sport and play the better it is.

I do not understand why not. There is a reason why that is one of the most popular tournaments behind the majors. The more people who view the sport and play the better it is.

Because it's golf.

Because it's golf.

Sports change over time as do the fans at said sporting events. I think part of growing the game is letting go of the upper-class stigma and making it more of an everyday game. One where you do not need to know all the rules to have a good time, one where you can go out with your buddies in shorts and a tank top and not receive dirty looks. People should not be intimidated to play the game because of the upper-class stigma and part of letting go of that is allowing for the rowdier fans and making golf more entertaining to watch on tv for the everyday person.

Heckling Fans

Sports change over time as do the fans at said sporting events. I think part of growing the game is letting go of the upper-class stigma and making it more of an everyday game. One where you do not need to know all the rules to have a good time, one where you can go out with your buddies in shorts and a tank top and not receive dirty looks. People should not be intimidated to play the game because of the upper-class stigma and part of letting go of that is allowing for the rowdier fans and making golf more entertaining to watch on tv for the everyday person.

Then they can go to Top Golf and pound away at the bar and have a good time.

I discovered an entire level of douche this weekend and it's absurd.

As a newly minted aristocrat, I disagree.

shanties.gif

See you are now proving the problem. If someone new to the game wants to go out with a couple buddies he now has to worry about knowing all the rules and wearing the proper attire. Or else someone might judge him and say he only belongs at top golf. I do not see any reason to judge other players, fans, etc as long as they are taking care of the course and not shouting during someone's swing. Why let someone screaming "get in the bunker", "dilly dilly", etc get to you? In all other sports fans boo and cheer to their favorites, why should golf not be the same way?

Then they can go to Top Golf and pound away at the bar and have a good time.

I discovered an entire level of douche this weekend and it's absurd.

I forgot to quote you in the above so wanted to reply again in order to tag you.

I just do not see how someone yelling baba booey can get to you that bad?

See you are now proving the problem. If someone new to the game wants to go out with a couple buddies he now has to worry about knowing all the rules and wearing the proper attire. Or else someone might judge him and say he only belongs at top golf. I do not see any reason to judge other players, fans, etc as long as they are taking care of the course and not shouting during someone's swing. Why let someone screaming "get in the bunker", "dilly dilly", etc get to you? In all other sports fans boo and cheer to their favorites, why should golf not be the same way?

Because it's golf. It's not other sports. It's golf. It's like Manfred wanting to change extra innings rules. That's not how baseball works. You don't put a guy on 2nd to start extra innings.

Learn to treat the game as it was intended and it's fine. Drunk 20 somethings hanging around yelling and stirring it up with other people on the course and in the grandstand has no place in this game.

Because it's golf. It's not other sports. It's golf. It's like Manfred wanting to change extra innings rules. That's not how baseball works. You don't put a guy on 2nd to start extra innings.

Learn to treat the game as it was intended and it's fine. Drunk 20 somethings hanging around yelling and stirring it up with other people on the course and in the grandstand has no place in this game.

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree then. To me, golf should be less about the exclusiveness and more about having fun. If someone's idea of golf is to ride around in a cart smashing beers and hitting bad shots, they should be free to do so. If someone else wants to ride around hitting good shots and working on their handicap they should also be free to do so.

Many sports change over the years and while often people are reluctant to said change it is often for the better. Imagine what people said going from hickory to steel shafts, or woods to metal woods. The introduction of hybrid clubs or large drivers. The evolution of the golf ball. Anybody can say that that stuff is not the golf they know but plenty of others enjoy the change and it works well.

Compare this to other sports when they introduced instant replay, the two-point conversion, the three-point line etc. Sports need changes over the years to make it more fun to watch, or safer to play, or a better game. Golf can have changes just like that and we can all enjoy the game.

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree then. To me, golf should be less about the exclusiveness and more about having fun. If someone's idea of golf is to ride around in a cart smashing beers and hitting bad shots, they should be free to do so. If someone else wants to ride around hitting good shots and working on their handicap they should also be free to do so.

Many sports change over the years and while often people are reluctant to said change it is often for the better. Imagine what people said going from hickory to steel shafts, or woods to metal woods. The introduction of hybrid clubs or large drivers. The evolution of the golf ball. Anybody can say that that stuff is not the golf they know but plenty of others enjoy the change and it works well.

Compare this to other sports when they introduced instant replay, the two-point conversion, the three-point line etc. Sports need changes over the years to make it more fun to watch, or safer to play, or a better game. Golf can have changes just like that and we can all enjoy the game.

What about when drunk morons ruin the experience for other people?

Also, while there's more yelling in other sports, the guy that stands there and yells the same thing all game is just as annoying as the bababooey guy on the golf course. There's just more background noise so the folks at home aren't subjected to it.

Were the US Open fans the worst we have seen to date? Some players have been pretty outspoken. Some media has been outspoken and some have said it crossed the line.

Thoughts?

I'm all for cheering for a person but am decidedly against cheering for someone to fail.

I hope that at some point the first 3-5 seconds after a golfer tees off is muted to tv watchers. I don't know if it would ultimately fix the problem of the stupid stuff being yelled at contact (and often before) but it sure would make the TV viewers happier (read: me) to not have to always hear that crap.

What about when drunk morons ruin the experience for other people?

Personally, I would not let a drunk guy yelling ruin an experience for me. Maybe I am better at tuning things out and ignoring things than other people but I do not let others affect my experiences.

Back