Help! Need alternative to grip solvent

Anything that will neutralize the adhesive long enough to install. Nail polish remover, mineral spirits, gasoline even (this may be the most expensive gripping you’ll do this year) but anything like that works.
no open flame warnings?

If I use air to put the grip on, would I still put grip tape down?

When I have used air, I just use painters tape. I would only do so with extra layers of tape, so there is a better gripping force from the stretch in the grip.

My answer is on here already. Mineral spirits.

Yes, sticky side down. You're basically using painters tape or masking tape as others have said. It's a quick process, should take about 5 seconds to put the grip on, just make sure the grip is fully on and give it a tap on the ground just to make sure it's fully seated.

I'm sure he meant Hairspray. I've used hairspray for golf and bicycle grips since I was a kid, going way back to the 70s, much easier that solvent too.

I use air and I say I wont go back to solvent.

I've used running alcohol and it works ok. It evaporates quickly which is what you want. I use the air compressor now and it's so much better.

The worst thing happened, ran out of solvent before my new shipment arrives and need to grip two clubs today, what around the home alternatives can I use?

Air?
I use lighter fluid. Easier for me to get up here. Works perfectly.

I'm noticing a trend with some folks and their propensity to use flammable liquids, do we need a fire marshall ????

🤣
I have a selection of fire extinguishers at the ready!

I normally just use petrol cause thats what i have at home. Super easy and dries quickly.

Anyone try cheap vodka?

Lighter fluid. Mineral spirits. Rubbing alcohol. Paint thinner.

I used my wife's hair spray once. You've got to be quick though!

Ok all.

Odorless Mineral Spirits, IS, Charcoal lighter fluid.
This takes much longer to flash-off, than Acetone.
This would be my 3rd choice.

WD-40 is good for getting off adhesive, but NOT good to leave of the club shaft. Strip it with Acetone or Lacquer thinner before installing.

The Air-Gun trick is the way to go with regular 2" masking tape on the shaft.
Easier to adjust or change out.

Cheers

Dean

My favorite is soapy water. Cheap and easy...works a treat with double sided Gorilla Tape.

Back