Help with my set......Advice wanted

stu929

Reaction score
Handicap
I was in the process of changing my set and ran into an a dilemma essentially I don't know where to leave my gap.

I currently have driver 265-280
Older 3 wood 235-245
New 5 wood 215-225
4H 185-190
5I 175
thru PW ~ 125
50, 54, 58 wedges.....

If I want to adhere to the 14 club limit I'm done the problem I have is I don't use the 5 wood a lot and if I ditch it in favor of a 3H which is what I want to do I will have an even bigger gap in my set. Something I have noticed it that I have more than once been stuck around 200 yards out and I do not have a club for that. My other concern is that I have limited funds. I was debating selling my R9 5 wood, pulling my old 3 wood and picking up a 3H and a R9 4 wood but I don't have the funds for this. I could in theory drop a wedge as per my skill level I don't believe I should carry as many wedges as I do but I struggle hitting 1/2 2/3 shots and having these limits the amount of partial shots I have to take. Any other ideas out there? Anyone looking to trade a 4 for a 5? lol Honestly I'm at a loss, if I had unlimited funds this would be easy but alas I don't so any help would be great.

Thanks
Steve

I have one big question: how much do you hit the 3 wood off the tee? If you use it a bunch off the tee, I'd say ditch the 5 wood and replace the 4h with a 3h. If you don't use the 3 wood off the tee much, I'd say ditch the three wood. It is much better to have big gaps higher in the set than lower in the set. I would definately say ditch a longer club regardless of what route you go.

Your wood gaps aren't that big of a Deal IMO. Ultimately your gonna have a decent size gap somewhere no matter what you do. Hybrids go further than Irons in my opinion because they are usually hit more flush. If I were you I would keep what you have for now until you get more funds, then get a 2/3 Hybrid. In reality you only need 2 woods with Hybrids now. I would recommend keeping the 3 wedges and Learning to hit knockdown shots with your 5 wood to cover your gap. Choke down and learn how far you hit it then etc.

I would say get rid of the 3W for a 3H. With how well you hit your 5W, I don't see any need for the 3W. Yes, this would leave a gap between your driver and your 5W, but I can't see needing more than a 5W much on the course. That would give you a pretty solid lineup from 5W down I would think. Personally, I only hit my 3W when I need to off the tee or if I am going for a par 5 in two and it is WAY open. I don't hit many shots with it and I assume you don't as well. Just my opinion. Let us know what you decide.

I have one big question: how much do you hit the 3 wood off the tee? If you use it a bunch off the tee, I'd say ditch the 5 wood and replace the 4h with a 3h. If you don't use the 3 wood off the tee much, I'd say ditch the three wood. It is much better to have big gaps higher in the set than lower in the set. I would definately say ditch a longer club regardless of what route you go.

Bingo. That is what I was trying to say as well.

It seems to me that dropping the 5 wood in favor of a 2 or 3 hybrid seems like it might be the best option.

I do use my 3 wood off the tee a fair amount as well as off the deck I love that is has a rounded deep face and typically have a lot of confidence with it.

Though I would prob be better served not hitting it off the deck as it doesn't always end well but I primarily use it off the tee if it's too tight for driver

Bingo. That is what I was trying to say as well.

Interesting idea I had not considered, drop the 3 wood which would leave a large gap up top and go driver, 5 wood, 3H, 4H interesting, kinda why I was considering a 4 wood but that would require more swapping out of my set. I could in theory play with the setting on my R9 but it hit it well as it is set right now so I wasn't sure If i should change it.

Thanks for all the responses keep them coming!

Unfortunately I am not sure there is away to get rid of the gap at the top of the bag. The question for me would be how accurate are you/me at hitting greens with your 3wd or 5wd and holding them? For me when I pull my 5wd out on and aim for the green am i expecting to hold it. I usually try and roll it up onto the green.

Are you able to shape shots with your 5wd to take distance off your 5wd? I have done this along with choking down on it to cover my gap on long par 5's or I lay up to get on the green in three.

I know we all like to have zero gaps in our bags but funds for most of us are limited and with good course management you can get around those gaps. just my 2 cents

Unfortunately I am not sure there is away to get rid of the gap at the top of the bag. The question for me would be how accurate are you/me at hitting greens with your 3wd or 5wd and holding them? For me when I pull my 5wd out on and aim for the green am i expecting to hold it. I usually try and roll it up onto the green.

Are you able to shape shots with your 5wd to take distance off your 5wd? I have done this along with choking down on it to cover my gap on long par 5's or I lay up to get on the green in three.

I know we all like to have zero gaps in our bags but funds for most of us are limited and with good course management you can get around those gaps. just my 2 cents

I'll be honest the 5 made it into my bag on accident it was given to me and I'm just hitting it because I have a large gap. I used to play a driver, 3W, 2H but I could not control the 2H very well either. So far I do like the 5W though the R9 gets up quickly and it fairly easy to control. I have only hit into a few greens with it so far and I did not do my part so I cannot give a fair evaluation of it right now. I'm starting to think more and more about keeping the 5 and picking up a 3H. Maybe someone out there has a 4W that wants a 5W instead lol..... I'm eyeing a 3H on the bay right now maybe I can score a deal on it!

I'm currently sitting with a very large gap in the top of my bag. I hit my driver 250-280, and then I go down to my 3H which is around 210-220. I will be gerabbing a 3wood in the near future. I don't think having a big gap up top is a huge deal. Chances are if you are trying to hit those clubs into the green, you would be better off laying up anyway. Obviously covering your gaps the best you can is your best option. But if I had to chose between having a 215 club and having a 200 club, I'd take the 200 club everytime.

I was in the process of changing my set and ran into an a dilemma essentially I don't know where to leave my gap.

I currently have driver 265-280
Older 3 wood 235-245
New 5 wood 215-225
4H 185-190
5I 175
thru PW ~ 125
50, 54, 58 wedges.....

If I want to adhere to the 14 club limit I'm done the problem I have is I don't use the 5 wood a lot and if I ditch it in favor of a 3H which is what I want to do I will have an even bigger gap in my set. Something I have noticed it that I have more than once been stuck around 200 yards out and I do not have a club for that. My other concern is that I have limited funds. I was debating selling my R9 5 wood, pulling my old 3 wood and picking up a 3H and a R9 4 wood but I don't have the funds for this. I could in theory drop a wedge as per my skill level I don't believe I should carry as many wedges as I do but I struggle hitting 1/2 2/3 shots and having these limits the amount of partial shots I have to take. Any other ideas out there? Anyone looking to trade a 4 for a 5? lol Honestly I'm at a loss, if I had unlimited funds this would be easy but alas I don't so any help would be great.

Thanks
Steve

I would trade out the 5w for a 3h. Bigger gaps on the longer clubs are not as big a deal as bigger gaps on the shorter clubs. Also, how much do you use each wedge? If each one serves a specific and unique purpose, you don't want to ditch one just to fill in a gap at the upper end of your set. I only ever use my 56° wedge out of the sand, and even then I often use my 60°, so I'm thinking about trading out the 56° for a 2h or something else.

I have probably a 40 yard gap between my 3W and my 3H - it really doesn't matter much. For the longer clubs you can plan your shots around the clubs you have much more easily than you can adjust to a big gap in the short clubs. Another thing you could do is drop a wedge and go with a 52 and 58 instead of 50 54 58 - 6 degree loft gap is no big deal and it would free up a spot for you at the longer end if you wanted to keep the 5W in play.

based on your distance your 3H would be 200 yards. How often do you hit 215-225 yardages? If it's once in a while (like you've implied) then just choke down on the 3-wood and swing easy.

A distance gap between 200 to 225 is no big deal because from those distance you're not likely going to be very accurate anyways so even if you kept your 5 wood you might carry anywhere between 200 and 225 based on the fairway lie.

drop the 5 wood and get a 3 hybrid. If the distance gap still bothers you then drop the 3 wood and get a 4 wood.

Unless you're playing the PGA championship at Atlanta, you are not going to find any 260 yard par 3 anytime soon which would require your 3 wood =)

Back