TimG3394

Lost: Center of clubface
Reaction score
Handicap
9ish
I know some thp'ers play hockey and was wondering if anyone can suggest a pair of skates. I know fit is most important and I have around a 250 budget. Seems like the vapor x60 and rbz70 are in that range.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I know some thp'ers play hockey and was wondering if anyone can suggest a pair of skates. I know fit is most important and I have around a 250 budget. Seems like the vapor x60 and rbz70 are in that range.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I am so far out of this loop but I did buy a pair a few years back by used HockeyMonkey.Com and got them really cheap.

calling DLeavitt!

I was looking on HM and they are cheaper but once I pay shipping and the cost of getting baked and sharpened its cheaper to go to total hockey.

OJ-good call, might shoot him a text

I was looking on HM and they are cheaper but once I pay shipping and the cost of getting baked and sharpened its cheaper to go to total hockey.

OJ-good call, might shoot him a text

Check with Buckjob also.

I know this is going to sound like the obvious answer, but just have a price range in mind and try as many pairs as possible one. The one thing that maybe just as tough to recommend to someone as a driver shaft, is a pair of skates. In fact, skates may be even hard.

You have to look at toe width, forefoot, foot height, skate volume, heel lock, ankle height, foot length and different company sizing, add in pitch and it gets very complex. Just for example, the two skates you've listed fit very differently.

I know this is going to sound like the obvious answer, but just have a price range in mind and try as many pairs as possible one. The one thing that maybe just as tough to recommend to someone as a driver shaft, is a pair of skates. In fact, skates may be even hard.

You have to look at toe width, forefoot, foot height, skate volume, heel lock, ankle height, foot length and different company sizing, add in pitch and it gets very complex. Just for example, the two skates you've listed fit very differently.

Makes sense. I didn't realize it was that complicated. I'm sure they will be able to fit me in the store. Thanks GG

Truth! I have had everything from Bauer to Easton to Graf. They all absolutely fit different and offer different features.

Its been a while since the last pair of skates I bought, but the name of them was Kor skate company. They have since went out of business, but the had what they called "boot baking" technology. It's not a new tech, as I've heard of people putting their skates in the oven under very low heat for some years, but with these skates it really worked. I had them baked at the skate shop, put them on and let them mold to your feet as they cooled. Very best pair of skates I'd ever owned over almost 30 years of playing. They fit and felt so good I never wore socks while playing in them.

Makes sense. I didn't realize it was that complicated. I'm sure they will be able to fit me in the store. Thanks GG

Truth! I have had everything from Bauer to Easton to Graf. They all absolutely fit different and offer different features.

I'm in the same boat as Dev, had Bauer, CCM and Grafs over the years. Most companies now offer multiple lines, so it takes it one step further. Example, I fit in the Bauer Vapor line, yet not even close in the Surpreme or Nexus lines.

Most stores will have someone who can help.

I'm in the same boat as Dev, had Bauer, CCM and Grafs over the years. Most companies now offer multiple lines, so it takes it one step further. Example, I fit in the Bauer Vapor line, yet not even close in the Surpreme or Nexus lines.

Most stores will have someone who can help.

Most important thing is to try the on and make sure they fit. Regardless of whether you buy in a store or online, find somewhere to try them on. Bought CCM Tacks way back in the day via catalog and they were too big. My feet paid the price. Literally in tears from the pain after the 1st time wearing them.

My favorite are CCM and have been for my whole playing career. All about fit in my opinion I have tried others and nothing compared.

I haven't bought skates in years but I would go and try on as many different brands as possible.

Good luck and let us now what you go with!

Most important thing is to try the on and make sure they fit. Regardless of whether you buy in a store or online, find somewhere to try them on. Bought CCM Tacks way back in the day via catalog and they were too big. My feet paid the price. Literally in tears from the pain after the 1st time wearing them.

I really don't think that can be said enough with hockey skates.

Just had a great conversation with Dan (Dleavitt) and he shared his wealth of knowledge on skates. I feel more comfortable going into the store now and having some idea of what to look for. Thanks everybody!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

$250 will get you a quality skate. Glad you were given some info shopping for skates with knowledge makes the experience a whole lot less stressful. I'll be curious to know what you pick up.

Going tomorrow morning before football. I feel like my budget is on the cusp of an average skate and a middle end skate that will last longer. I'm anxious to get a skate that fits (I'm wearing a size too big right now) and having something better than a 60 dollar pair that is 5 years old.

Now that I'm playing as much as 2 to 3 times a week it's a no brainer to spend on skates and a nice helmet

Going tomorrow morning before football. I feel like my budget is on the cusp of an average skate and a middle end skate that will last longer. I'm anxious to get a skate that fits (I'm wearing a size too big right now) and having something better than a 60 dollar pair that is 5 years old.

Now that I'm playing as much as 2 to 3 times a week it's a no brainer to spend on skates and a nice helmet

A size too big is NO BUENO! Size smaller usually in my experience.

Biggest thing you'll probably be notice is how much stiffer a pair in that range will be compared to your old pair.

Hockey skates

You'll get more for your money buying lightly used over new. IMO.

Also, IMHO Graf makes the best skates by far.

TTing

You'll get more for your money buying lightly used over new. IMO.

Also, IMHO Graf makes the best skates by far.

TTing

Switched mine after 4 months. Just another example of how important it is to try them on.

Picked up the vapor x60s. Almost went 70s but decided to go the cheaper route. They fit me for a size 9, I think my old ones were a 10 or 10.5

Picked up the vapor x60s. Almost went 70s but decided to go the cheaper route. They fit me for a size 9, I think my old ones were a 10 or 10.5

Glad you found something that fits well Tim. As a Bauer Vapor guy myself, last 3 pairs, I like it. Enjoy.

Vapors are good skates too narrow for me feet. I'm looking at getting new skates next year or new steel mine are cut so low I'm losing my edges on sharp turns cause my runners are catching the ice. Prob stick with bauer get either top line of nexus or supreme whatever fits me better. Only 2 places I spend top dollar on hockey equipment is feet and head!

Vapors are good skates too narrow for me feet. I'm looking at getting new skates next year or new steel mine are cut so low I'm losing my edges on sharp turns cause my runners are catching the ice. Prob stick with bauer get either top line of nexus or supreme whatever fits me better. Only 2 places I spend top dollar on hockey equipment is feet and head!

Was hoping you'd chime in buck, I really wanted to splurge a little more. But going from a 6 year old 50 dollar pair to these is a big upgrade. I didnt want too stiff of a boot. Will spend more next time when I'm playing at a higher level

Was hoping you'd chime in buck, I really wanted to splurge a little more. But going from a 6 year old 50 dollar pair to these is a big upgrade. I didnt want too stiff of a boot. Will spend more next time when I'm playing at a higher level

sorry i didn't see the thread till today.... its not a bad choice and those should be a HUGE upgrade from what you were wearing.... i went cheap on my first pair and they tore the heck out of the back of my heel. i'll never make that mistake again. for as long as they last and how often i wear them 2-3 times a week in the winter its always a good investment.... i have the bauer/nike one 95s now but i got lucky and got them for free since i have a family member that was VERY high up in nike when they owned bauer and sent me a $800 skates for free i dunno how i'd ever go back now that i'm spoiled and i am seriously thinking about keeping them for another year or 2 and just get new steel but theres a few spots that are showing some serious wear so im torn on what to do right now. i think i'll see how they are in a month or 2 and decide from there but with steel running close to $100 its a dilemma

Back