Hole-in-one insurance

captaincaution

@alekbabel -2022 Grandaddy!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The previous thread on this is 10 years old, so here is a new one.

Our club has a hole-in-one insurance program that, if you opt-in, works like this:

Whenever anyone in the club makes a hole-in-one, all primary golf members are charged $10.

If you are at the club the day of the hole-in-one, you (and your guests) get 2 drinks on the house. The member making the hole in one pays nothing, is given a framed photo of the hole they aced to commemorate the occasion, and is given $500 in pro shop credit.

At the table next to us during our pre-round lunch, the group was talking about the program, as one of the guys there made an ace a few weeks back, but the club was slow that day, so his out of pocket cost would have been pretty low. Well, there happened to be a hole-in-one as we were out on the front nine, and our drinks were covered as we made the turn. That's pretty good return on my $10!

My father-in-law's club with a housing development will email everyone in the club when there is a hole-in-one to come get a drink.

Does your club have hole-in-one insurance, or something similar? Would you rather pay a small amount every time someone else makes an ace to avoid being stuck with a potentially very large tab when you luck into one, or would you gamble that you make one on a slower day? Is your program mandatory or optional?

I like that our club does this, and that the member acing a hole gets more than just a big bar tab!

our hole in one fund is five bucks each time. There is no 'set' amount that the pro shop hands out, it's whatever the fund is, and then the golfer deals with whatever bar tab they decide works for them.

I'm still pointlessly in mine hahaha

I'm in one at our club. It's $5 to every time someone in the HIO has one to cover drinks. Whatever is left they get to keep as proshop credit. I wouldn't want to roll the dice as there aren't that many HIOs in a year but if you had one during a tournament it could be costly. My buddy had one during out club championship and the guys were trying to take it easy on him and just order pitchers of beer but the ladies were ordering double vodkas and wine. Think his was around $1000-$1200 which is pretty rough.

We do not at the muni I play.

Nope not at the local muni's. I've never been close, not sure I'd donate all the time

I literally have legally formalised hole in one insurance included in my general golf insurance policy (along with club theft, personal injury, public liability etc...).

Sounds like more of a country club thing. Never heard of such a thing at the local muni courses I play.

Put paying for everyone's drink if you make a hole in one right near the top for dumbest things in golf. Everyone should be buying my drink if I make a hole in one.

I'm in one at our club. It's $5 to every time someone in the HIO has one to cover drinks. Whatever is left they get to keep as proshop credit. I wouldn't want to roll the dice as there aren't that many HIOs in a year but if you had one during a tournament it could be costly. My buddy had one during out club championship and the guys were trying to take it easy on him and just order pitchers of beer but the ladies were ordering double vodkas and wine. Think his was around $1000-$1200 which is pretty rough.
I'll be dammed if I'm footing a $1,000+ bar bill for hitting a hole in one :LOL:

I have certainly heard of hole in one insurance as well as the other programs mentioned through clubs. Our local course has a small one for the "inner circle" members but other than that most of the public access/daily fee/munis around do not.

Do any of you guys have insurance for your golf gear? This thread prompted me to do a little quick research and apparently there are some (the one I found was a UK site) covering golf clubs, golf carts, etc.

A couple courses I played had a hole in one pot. You throw in a few bucks and the person who makes one gets the total pot. Does not have to buy everyone a drink. I think it is wrong that the person who makes one has to buy drinks. To me everyone should buy them a drink if they want to.

I'll be dammed if I'm footing a $1,000+ bar bill for hitting a hole in one :LOL:
That's why if I had one in a tournament I'd buy a keg with the money from the HIO club and I might by drink for playing partners or good friends. Once the credit from the HIO club is done then that's it. At that point they can all by me a drink lol.

It definitely took some fun out of it for him having to worry about that. We started on our normal back 9 and the HIO was on hole #2 after he made the turn. He not only had a HIO but he birdied #1 before and then eagled the par 5 #3 to play those 3 holes in 5 under. He abruptly fell apart on 4 and 5 but that was probably the best 3 holes he will ever have.

The previous thread on this is 10 years old, so here is a new one.

Our club has a hole-in-one insurance program that, if you opt-in, works like this:

Whenever anyone in the club makes a hole-in-one, all primary golf members are charged $10.

If you are at the club the day of the hole-in-one, you (and your guests) get 2 drinks on the house. The member making the hole in one pays nothing, is given a framed photo of the hole they aced to commemorate the occasion, and is given $500 in pro shop credit.

At the table next to us during our pre-round lunch, the group was talking about the program, as one of the guys there made an ace a few weeks back, but the club was slow that day, so his out of pocket cost would have been pretty low. Well, there happened to be a hole-in-one as we were out on the front nine, and our drinks were covered as we made the turn. That's pretty good return on my $10!

My father-in-law's club with a housing development will email everyone in the club when there is a hole-in-one to come get a drink.

Does your club have hole-in-one insurance, or something similar? Would you rather pay a small amount every time someone else makes an ace to avoid being stuck with a potentially very large tab when you luck into one, or would you gamble that you make one on a slower day? Is your program mandatory or optional?

I like that our club does this, and that the member acing a hole gets more than just a big bar tab!
So wait. if someone makes a hole in one they charge you 10 dollars regardless if you are actually there or not?

I play a public course, so nothing like that there. Our league has a HIO pot. That pays out if someone hits one in league action.....we had our first HIO this year.....but he was not in the pot. (name redacted to protect the innocent)

The search rolls on for our first winner.

So wait. if someone makes a hole in one they charge you 10 dollars regardless if you are actually there or not?
Correct. That's the "insurance" part of it.

No hole in one insurance where I play. However on a side note I do have a buddy who has said if he gets one he won't be buying drinks for anyone including his playing partners. Thought that was a little weird myself.

However on a side note I do have a buddy who has said if he gets one he won't be buying drinks for anyone including his playing partners. Thought that was a little weird myself.
Sounds like he won't have anyone to attest to his feat, should it ever happen.

Correct. That's the "insurance" part of it.
Not sure I like that but I also expect nothing if another person makes a hole in one and I don't particularly like the concept that I owe something to anyone if I ever get one.

Not sure I like that but I also expect nothing if another person makes a hole in one and I don't particularly like the concept that I owe something to anyone if I ever get one.
The explanation I've always understood, at least for your group, is that no one will attest to your hole-in-one without a little bit of bribery. 🍻 Which makes sense to me if you're just out playing with some pals. Not sure where the buying a drink for everyone at the club came from, but if that is what the club does, makes sense to me to lessen my exposure.

I don’t have a club, or even a regular course. Among many other reasons, crap like this is why I have no interest in ever joining one. I’m not sure which part bothers me more...that I’d get charged money because of what some guy I may have never even met did, or that the entire place would be so presumptuous as to assume I’d buy a round of drinks if I lucked into the fluke shot.

Not at my local muni.
When I made my only HIO 3 years ago, I was playing with my wife and our neighbors and the course was almost empty that evening.
When we got to the clubhouse, I was preparing for a sizeable bar tab, but we were the only ones in there, so I got real lucky :D

That's why if I had one in a tournament I'd buy a keg with the money from the HIO club and I might by drink for playing partners or good friends. Once the credit from the HIO club is done then that's it. At that point they can all by me a drink lol.

It definitely took some fun out of it for him having to worry about that. We started on our normal back 9 and the HIO was on hole #2 after he made the turn. He not only had a HIO but he birdied #1 before and then eagled the par 5 #3 to play those 3 holes in 5 under. He abruptly fell apart on 4 and 5 but that was probably the best 3 holes he will ever have.
Ain't that always the way of it! Come out of the traps like a stabbed rat as they would say in Yorkshire and then fold like a pack of cards :LOL:

I have certainly heard of hole in one insurance as well as the other programs mentioned through clubs. Our local course has a small one for the "inner circle" members but other than that most of the public access/daily fee/munis around do not.

Do any of you guys have insurance for your golf gear? This thread prompted me to do a little quick research and apparently there are some (the one I found was a UK site) covering golf clubs, golf carts, etc.
Yes I have HIO insurance included in my golf insurance (I’m UK based).

Back